PDA

View Full Version : Cypher System!

Mgrancey
July 29th, 2015, 02:48
Just received my physical copy of the Cyper system, had only realized that PDF was released yesterday, and looks as intriguing as I was hoping. I am going to sit down and read it after I get done here. So, I am going to use a campaign that has been sitting around waiting to be run. Started a couple of times but never really got going.

DATE/TIME
Sundays at 10AM. Will run Approx, 3 Hours. Will not be every week, I am on call approx every third week and as such may not be able to make it. Generally okay but not always.

SETTING: Eluvie (Rough outline, there is more)

A long time ago, even the rough date is unknown a couple of centuries is generally accepted time frame. In an attempt to stop the Third Great Dark War about to be waged by the monstrous hordes the human arch-mages banished all of the monsterous races that they could. At some point not long after the potent and world changing magics started to affect the world and made the lowlands where most live too dangerous to live in. The world was warping and eventually the surviving and new arch-mages worked one last great working and lifted the 7 major human cities into the sky riding along the dragon lines. The rest of those in the lowlands had to evacuate to the highlands and mountain ranges. Many things have been lost or disappeared, no is quite sure what a dragon is, what the lowlands were like, what has happened down in the lowlands since then.

Only the adventurist or those who share similar traits go down and few if any return. Though stories tell of villages simply gone, people frozen in time, people who live their entire lives in but a week, holes in reality, and many other similar stories. Everybody has at least on cousin's friend saw this in the lowlands story.
Now, signs and seers all point to some great changing, although no one knows what.

RULES SET: Cypher (Numenera and The Strange)
Group: Min 3, Max 7

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1550

Mgrancey
July 31st, 2015, 00:39
Now that I have some more time I am going to provide some more information about the Cypher System.

If you are familiar with either Numenera or the Strange then you know that characters are built on as a "[Descriptor] [Type] who [Focus].
The Descriptor is an "adjective" but generally speaking is meant to be starting place for your character, they are: Graceful, Intelligent, Charming, Strong, Tough, etc.
The Type is roughly equivalent to class, the Cypher has 4: Warrior (Combat), Adept(Magic), Explorer(Rogue-ish), and Speaker (Social).
The Focus is you special abilities unique to your character: Works the Back Alleys, Masters Weapons, Is a Golem, etc. Only one player can have a particular focus at a time.

A new aspect has been added which modifies the Type, by giving it a Flavor, such as Stealthy Warrior or Technological Adept.

So a Fast Warrior who Rides the Lightning would be a combat focused character who has control of lightning for abilities like a lightning blade, teleport via lightning and even just throw it as an offensive weapon. Make him a Fast Magic flavored Warrior who Rides the Lightning and you eventually could be Raiden.

Mgrancey
August 4th, 2015, 01:49
Bringing back up to first page and a question

Not seeing a lot of interest, if is because of time, system, or gm?

Have several other campaigns in my head some are 5e, also picked up start of the Legendary Planet AP (5e version) that was just kickstarted. I have some SW stuff I am thinking about mostly Sci-Fi, and what I hope is an interesting Pathfinder home-brew.

damned
August 4th, 2015, 04:48
Mgrancey I suppose it could be any of those!
I know when I was having trouble early on recruiting for Castles&Crusades I stopped mentioning C&C and just called it Old School D&D. It helped.
If you are available on August 15 and you have time to prepare a One Shot (and they do take some time to prep) consider running something at FGDaze!
Maybe dont advertise the Cypher system - just advertise the genre, the story and the time and see how you go. Once you get a few players through the door and enjoying the experience it will be easier to sell the whole package.
Id also write up a bit more story to give people a taste of what you have in store for them.

And if all of that fails - take your new wonderful teaser and spam every new LF5eG post that happens and you will get some that way!

Mask_of_winter
August 4th, 2015, 06:32
I'm surprised it isn't getting more interest with the 4 or 5 ENnies they just won. The Numenera FG ruleset that comes for free works very well and I don't see why it wouldnt work for the Strange or Cypher. Too bad there isn't any officially supported library modules but I suspect Mgrancey already has made his for personal use.

Mgrancey
August 4th, 2015, 11:51
I might have some Numenera ones and had been working on the Bestiary and Cypher books. Last I looked drag and drop didn't work on abilities so that was mostly still copy and paste.

Mgrancey
August 4th, 2015, 11:51
Sadly, I am on call that weekend so I couldn't reliably say I could be there.

damned
August 4th, 2015, 13:07
Sadly, I am on call that weekend so I couldn't reliably say I could be there.

Never fear - FGCon7 is coming soon too!

Mgrancey
August 4th, 2015, 13:17
Hmm. Don't know date but guessing Sept 11-13th? FGCon's usually end up when I go to other Cons in person.

damned
August 4th, 2015, 13:35
FGCon7 Friday October 16 – Sunday October 18

glacius
August 7th, 2015, 02:50
Hey bud I was in your Strange beta game. Iam interested in playing . Any room?

Mgrancey
August 7th, 2015, 02:54
Too much space, not getting a lot of interest.

thoughtcrime
August 17th, 2015, 01:11
I want to play either Strange or Numenera, but not at 10am on a Sunday morning. I'd prefer a weekday evening, if possible, as gaming is my alternative to television.

Mgrancey
August 19th, 2015, 02:31
Unfortunately, weekday evenings aren't really an option as it is hard to say when I will get home and don't have the energy generally speaking after that to do much of anything.

Dalantreal
August 20th, 2015, 23:51
I'm interested; added name to campaign.

Mgrancey
August 21st, 2015, 05:13
That took me by surprise, hadn't realized more people had signed up. Setup play times for this and following Sunday. Hope everyone is still interested and available. I know this Sunday is a bit short notice but would be character creation pretty much anyways. If you have any ideas on what you are thinking about or would like to try please post or message me and I will get relevant information back to you.