PDA

View Full Version : Total beginner is looking for 5e teacher :-)

Hermundure
July 28th, 2015, 10:50
Hi community!

After I stumbled over FG a few days ago I finally decided to dive into the area of roleplaying because it seems that FG takes my two main reasons for not playing rpgs away.

The problem is that I am a REAL beginner in all of that, I am interested in diving into 5e (got the books etc. already) but I never played a pen and paper before and I am looking for some kind of veteran mentor who could take me thrugh the early phases in maybe looking with me into character creation, the technical stuff of FG and the game mechanics in some kind of short practice game.
For the far future I would be greatly interested in the job as GM. I really love to interact with others and the artist in me loves the idea of breathing life into my adventure-creations thrugh my own artwork.

What I have done so far:
- I already created my Human Rogue but I am really unsure if I did it correctly
- I watched and read a lot of tutorials but its hard to give them substance because I have no way in actually applying something as I have no one to practice with
- I read thrugh these rulebooks but its hard to give some substance to all these concepts also because of aboves reason

I know that teaching a newbie might probably a tedious tasks for you veteran GMs but if someone is willing to aid me in my struggles its really appreciated.
My timezone is GMT+1 (I live in germany) and work everyday until 6 pm.

P.S. I know of the upcomming newbie-event but I am away for some days around this time of year :-/

Herm

dulux-oz
July 28th, 2015, 10:58
Hi Herm, and Welcome!

I don't play 5E myself, but I do know there are GM's in the Community that will teach a newbie just like you have asked so keep looking and someone will give you a shout.

You've said you've watched some Tutorial Videos, but I need to ask if you've seen mine, because mine focus on the CoreRPG (& not 5E, so people sometimes miss them) - however, almost all of the RPGs we play with FG are built on top of the CoreRPG, so if you learn how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you need to play any RPG with FG - hence my Vids (available from the FG Wiki and also from the links in my sig, below).

Apart from that, be patient and you'll find a game soon enough - we're a pretty friendly bunch here, so don't be afraid of speaking up and asking questions.

Cheers

Rogue
July 28th, 2015, 11:03
Hey, I know I am in GMT-5, but if its like on a Tuesday or Wednesday, I may be able to help you out. I have been playing all sorts of RPGs since 1985, and AD&D 2nd edition what what I cut my teeth on. I started GMing around a year after that, and never stopped. I have run every version of D&D since then, and can teach you fifth edition pretty easily.
So if its 7 PM your time,its like noon or 1 here. That's why I suggested Tuesday or Wednesday, those are my days off of work. So if you are interested, drop me a line and let me know, and I can work with you.

Nylanfs
July 28th, 2015, 14:25
Welcome to the community!

VenomousFiligree
July 28th, 2015, 22:38
I have a one shot Primeval Thule game of 5e this Sunday (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25344-One-Shot-Primeval-Thule-5e-Cavern-of-Golden-Tears-Sun-2-August-2000-GMT-1) that I'd be more than happy to have a newbie at. The characters are going to be 3rd level, so we'd have to advance your Human Rogue, otherwise you'd be good to go!

JerryRig
July 31st, 2015, 10:19
I can get you warmed up to Fantasy Grounds but you might want to work with the others afterwards to dial in the specifics of using 5E rule-set. The differences in actually running FG and applying the rule-sets is small to the whole big picture of running FG as a DM of any game. Once you get the idea of how to navigate ...dialing in a different rule-set is significantly easier having practiced using one of them.

I'll look for you in the FG TS server and be happy to lend you a hand whenever i'm on.

Ellspeth
July 31st, 2015, 12:34
Very briefly I want to say, Rogue and Jerry I know have spent a good many hours helping newbies learn how Fantasy Grounds works, even though the people they assist aren't not joining their games. I sat through 2 sessions with Rogue this week alone helping newcomers, and I have sat through others while Jerry has done the same. Well done both of you, for giving your time to benefit the entire community. Here's a virtual toast for your efforts.

Hermundure
July 31st, 2015, 12:47
Thank you for all your kind offers, I already got in touch with both thrugh PMs, I really cant wait to get this going, hehe. :-)

Oh and deluxe, your tutorials on youtube helped a lot! Thank you for pushing me in their direction!

dulux-oz
July 31st, 2015, 13:33
Oh and deluxe, your tutorials on youtube helped a lot! Thank you for pushing me in their direction!

Not a problem, glad I could help - just "pay it forward" by pointing others towards them - oh, and BTW, its a small thing but its Dulux, not deluxe - Dulux is a brand of paint here in the land down under as as my real name is Matthew Black (Matt Black) and mat-black is a paint colour, well... it kind of stuck when a friend dumped the handle on me years ago :)

Cheers

JerryRig
July 31st, 2015, 19:05
And I thought it had something to do with Pi. :rv:

dulux-oz
August 1st, 2015, 01:43
And I thought it had something to do with Pi. :rv:

It does - and it was Delicious! :p