PDA

View Full Version : Hardcover & Digital Bundles

epithet
July 27th, 2015, 19:08
Is there any chance that SmiteWorks could sell hardcovers bundled with the digital version of 5e books and adventures?

Just about every other game publisher sells physical+digital bundles, and while it doesn't surprise me that WotC would be one of the last to arrive at that party, I'm wondering if y'all might have made certain they've read the invitation.

Nylanfs
July 27th, 2015, 19:13
The problem is logistics, with just pure software SW has a lot less footprint. When you start adding in physical costs go WAY up.

kylania
July 27th, 2015, 20:00
They wouldn't have to warehouse anything, just tell WotC to ship product to consumer. Or enter the twenty-first century and Print on Demand (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/join.php).

Then again, I'm just waiting for the gold trimmed leather bound collector's edition of the rule books I'll never open to go on sale. :)

Nylanfs
July 27th, 2015, 20:07
The problem is that unlike most publishers WotC doesn't ship anything. It's all through distributors and retail stores.

epithet
July 27th, 2015, 20:08
For that matter, a retailer like Amazon could sell the book together with a code for the FG module. The codes could be packaged like a game time card and sold at FLGS locations.

I don't know if anything of the sort would be a good idea, I'm just wondering if it's being considered.

midas
July 28th, 2015, 00:15
They wouldn't have to warehouse anything, just tell WotC to ship product to consumer. Or enter the twenty-first century and Print on Demand (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/join.php).

Then again, I'm just waiting for the gold trimmed leather bound collector's edition of the rule books I'll never open to go on sale. :)

You won't want to open them since they'll probably fall apart anyway. ;)

damned
July 28th, 2015, 01:38
For that matter, a retailer like Amazon could sell the book together with a code for the FG module. The codes could be packaged like a game time card and sold at FLGS locations.

I don't know if anything of the sort would be a good idea, I'm just wondering if it's being considered.

Amazon... its a great business model for the consumer - its hard to see its value as a company - they turn over $billions each year and usually lose money.

Goltron
July 28th, 2015, 01:50
This would certainly entice me to buy more if I could get both digital and hardcover bundles through some type of distributor.

epithet
July 28th, 2015, 01:56
In all honesty, I'm gonna buy all the stuff anyway... I'll just feel better about it if I get a bundle price.

midas
July 28th, 2015, 02:57
I dem feels, bro. The practical side of me says, "I get more from the FG content than I get from the physical content, and for less money overall." Then I look at the shelves full of books I've never used, half of which were purchased with the knowledge I'd never use them--I just liked the look--and I sigh the resigned sigh of the defeated.

Baron Von Mandrick
July 28th, 2015, 04:32
In all honesty, I'm gonna buy all the stuff anyway... I'll just feel better about it if I get a bundle price.

That's probably where I am at as well. There is the chance that I won't get all of the modules, campaign settings etc. but I probably won't get them in either medium. If I got them in one medium, I'd probably get them in both. There's always the chance that it would change but I doubt it.

The bundle price would of course be awesome.

damned
July 28th, 2015, 05:00
I too have so many RPG books.... about 1/3 I have never even flipped open the cover and at least 90% Ive barely opened. Im trying to wean myself off buying more physical books and Im getting better... My PDF shelf seems to have the same problems though! Mostly unread... many Im not sure I ever will... I have no room for any more RPG books that Ill never read but somehow they seem more satisfying than PDFs that Ill never read!

Gadreun
July 29th, 2015, 05:50
I am balancing you out, I do not own any physical RPG items.

damned
July 29th, 2015, 12:12
Gadreun - a man ahead of his time! (at least 11 hours anyway!).

epithet
July 29th, 2015, 15:37
Gadreun, my wife would be delighted if I could say the same. As it is, I have 2 closets full of stuff going back to the 70s.

She thinks that space would be better used for shoes, I'm sure.