PDA

View Full Version : Newbie issue, I guess!

VinAlanson
July 25th, 2015, 02:43
I have purchased the ultimate license and the Complete Class Pack and Complete Monster Pack and Hoard of the Dragon Queen module.
I have had 1 session with my players.
The players could not see the 5e portraits to add them onto their character sheets. How can I make this possible? I have put the green lightning symbol on the PHB_Deluxe module.
When the players go the manage characters and I am off-line they can not see their characters. How do I fix this?

khersheyjr
July 25th, 2015, 02:51
Portraits are stored locally. Each person will have their own set on their computer based on what they put in that folder. For their characters, those are stored on the DM's server so they need to be able to connect to you in order to manage them unless you export a copy and send to them to manage and then send back.

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2015, 02:58
Portraits can only be set locally. In other words, only portraits installed on a user's machine can be selected by that user.

Portraits can not be shared with players, though the GM can set one of their portrait options to a PC.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
July 25th, 2015, 03:00
The players could not see the 5e portraits to add them onto their character sheets. How can I make this possible? I have put the green lightning symbol on the PHB_Deluxe module.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24511-Allowing-Players-to-Use-PHB-Tokens

When the players go the manage characters and I am off-line they can not see their characters. How do I fix this?
The players can manage their characters offline, if they've connected to you previously (they'll be cached locally in the campaign data they downloaded from you). The players need to select your campaign name from the "Campaigns" list at the bottom of the screen in order to access their character in the format it was at the end of the last time they connected. However, in this mode the PC is read only (the players can't change the campaign cache). So the player needs to export the PC to a local XML file (see the buttons section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Character_Management), and go back into manage characters anload up a base ruleset (5E) campaign and import the PC XML they exported just before. They can now edit the PC if required - but they will have to import this edited PC when they next join the campaign as it is essentially a new PC. The players will also only have access to their own 5E library content in manage characters.

It's a bit of a faff, but it's because the campaign cache can't be modified by the players.

Zacchaeus
July 25th, 2015, 13:29
In other words (just in case you didn't get this from all the technical stuff above) you, as DM, allocate the player a portrait and all is fine.