PDA

View Full Version : 5e DMG status update?

VenomousFiligree
July 24th, 2015, 22:02
Is it possible to get a status update on the DMG?

Please note I'm not necessarily asking for "when will it be released", so don't feel you have to spam the thread with a tiresome soon(tm) (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealSoonNow) response :rolleyes:

epithet
July 24th, 2015, 22:13
The last estimated release date for the patch that will enable DMG features was "the week before GenCon" (specifically yesterday,) as of 11 days ago.
You can follow the progress here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24825-Test-Release-v3-1-2

I hope that the DMG will be released shortly after the patch is live. I'm guessing they are planning to have it up by GenCon for marketing wins.

VenomousFiligree
July 24th, 2015, 22:19
Hmm that thread you linked, while admittedly I only skimmed it would be talking about 3.1.2 (which has just been released) not the DMG? Do you have a specific post within the thread that talks about the DMG?

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2015, 22:23
I don't think there is a definitive date unfortunately.

From reading various threads and carefully watching Zeus's signature getting the DMG into FG isn't a terribly easy thing to do necessarily. It looks like a new version of the tools used to parse such things has been written in order to support, in particular, magic items. There are also a number of enhancements just released in v3.1.2 today which directly impact on magic items and their effects.

I'd suggest that the developers don't want to release the DMG until everything that can be done to support drag and drop treasures and magic items are fully integrated into FG. Like you I am obviously keen to see it released but if I were in their shoes I'd want it to be as fully functional as possible. So I have my patient hat on :)

VenomousFiligree
July 24th, 2015, 22:26
As mentioned I wasn't actually after a date, just an official status update... :)

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2015, 22:26
Hmm that thread you linked, while admittedly I only skimmed it would be talking about 3.1.2 (which has just been released) not the DMG? Do you have a specific post within the thread that talks about the DMG?

I suspect he was pointing to the new effects which have been included to support magic items.

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2015, 22:29
Another point is, of course, that WotC have to approve it before release and they might well be taking their time (assuming it is at the stage where it's been submitted to them in the first place). I don't know about the good old US of A but it's holiday season over here and things do tend to slow down a bit because of that. :)

VenomousFiligree
July 24th, 2015, 22:33
Another point is, of course, that WotC have to approve it before release and they might well be taking their time (assuming it is at the stage where it's been submitted to them in the first place). I don't know about the good old US of A but it's holiday season over here and things do tend to slow down a bit because of that. :)

Don't want to keep banging the drum, but the fact that things might be "slowed down a bit" isn't the point of my original post, "released to WotC for review" however is a fine statement :)

epithet
July 24th, 2015, 22:35
Zeus has had the DMG in the "completed" section of his signature block for a while now, long enough (I think) for even Wizards to get around to signing off on it. I would be surprised if they don't have it up on the store in time for GenCon next weekend.

The reason that I mentioned the patch is that there are a number of effects tied to magic items that won't work until the patch goes live, so it isn't reasonable to expect the DMG to be released until those effects available. The last thing anyone wants is to release a product with features that don't work yet.

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2015, 22:41
Zeus has had the DMG in the "completed" section of his signature block for a while now, long enough (I think) for even Wizards to get around to signing off on it. I would be surprised if they don't have it up on the store in time for GenCon next weekend.

The reason that I mentioned the patch is that there are a number of effects tied to magic items that won't work until the patch goes live, so it isn't reasonable to expect the DMG to be released until those effects available. The last thing anyone wants is to release a product with features that don't work yet.

I don't think Venemous wants to hear more speculation :)

Although the DMG may well be completed Zeus's signature block also suggests that the parcel generator etc is still in development.

VenomousFiligree
July 24th, 2015, 22:46
I don't think Venemous wants to hear more speculation :)

Hard Concrete Facts need only apply! :)

Although the DMG may well be completed Zeus's signature block also suggests that the parcel generator etc is still in development.

Yes, was just about to post that "D&D 5E Magic Items & Parcel Generator - yay functional magic items and a nice new generator front end for the loot tables in the DMG!" would imply there is still work to be done with the DMG.

However it's good to see from Zeus' signature that it looks like Unearthed Arcana might be coming to FG :)

epithet
July 24th, 2015, 22:57
Since it is listed as separate from the DMG, it stands to reason that the parcel generator is not necessary for the DMG to be released. It seems to be a tool and a front end to the tables in the DMG, which would be viewable (and rollable) in the regular existing table structure. I'm looking forward to seeing what it is (Zeus does good work) and I hope it is released with the DMG or very soon after, but it doesn't seem to be an incorporated element.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Ultimately, the only "hard, concrete fact" is that it isn't out yet. Everything else is speculation.

Larac
July 25th, 2015, 05:35
Really dislike the waiting for X Con to release stuff.

Just means your fighting against all the other sheep launching at the same time.

epithet
July 25th, 2015, 17:30
Everyone is competing for attention (and dollars) at the conventions. It's a lot easier to compete effectively if you can say "Behold this, my new product, and covet it!"

JohnD
July 29th, 2015, 21:22
Still, it must be close.

Baron Von Mandrick
July 30th, 2015, 00:30
Still, it must be close.

I hope so. I'm chomping at the bit.

Cheezegr8r
July 30th, 2015, 00:31
so close I can taste it! mm... tastes like chicken!

epithet
July 30th, 2015, 00:47
Really dislike the waiting for X Con to release stuff.

Just means your fighting against all the other sheep launching at the same time.

I doubt it has been a "hold on to it until GenCon" situation, I think it is much more likely a "Hurry up and get it approved and released in time for GenCon!" type situation.

Larac
July 30th, 2015, 01:54
WOTC is very pre digital minded.
This seems like what they would do.

I just think trying to sell new things at the same time many others are trying to sell new things to be odd.

Nylanfs
July 30th, 2015, 02:02
insert Soon(TM) comment

epithet
July 30th, 2015, 02:12
WOTC is very pre digital minded.
This seems like what they would do.

I just think trying to sell new things at the same time many others are trying to sell new things to be odd.

They're all trying to sell new things because many people who share a desire and ability to buy things have come together in one place.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Mavrik6666
July 30th, 2015, 11:56
As GenCon is on now.. would of thought a release would of been announced or even done

epithet
July 30th, 2015, 17:10
That makes two of us.

Mellock
July 31st, 2015, 17:15
I don't think they've ever aimed for anything to be released for GenCon. During GenCon, they're tied up completely anyway, so they can't offer much support, save from a hotel room or from a phone.

epithet
July 31st, 2015, 22:55
I dunno, I'd bet dollars vs donuts that the SmiteWorkers would really love to have that parcel generator up an running on the monitor at their booth right now, along with the DMG magic items and all the rest. It does seem like that ain't gonna happen this Con, though.

damned
August 1st, 2015, 00:46
SW and WotC kept the granting of the D&D license a secret right up until it was launched... if they arent ready to release any info - you aint gonna get any!

jhall6766
August 1st, 2015, 01:24
Lol yes but that DMG would be so very helpful in my homebrew currently ... If not released soon guess Ill have to switch to one of the many other rulesets I have ...

Nylanfs
August 1st, 2015, 02:50
I dunno, I'd bet dollars vs donuts that the SmiteWorkers would really love to have that parcel generator up an running on the monitor at their booth right now, along with the DMG magic items and all the rest. It does seem like that ain't gonna happen this Con, though.

There is nothing saying that they can't show it off at the booth as upcoming code. :)

damned
August 1st, 2015, 05:39
Lol yes but that DMG would be so very helpful in my homebrew currently ... If not released soon guess Ill have to switch to one of the many other rulesets I have ...

Huh? What do you need from the DMG? There is so much goodness in the PHB and MM!

kylania
August 1st, 2015, 07:32
Huh? What do you need from the DMG? There is so much goodness in the PHB and MM!

Treasure Generators, actually working magic items, ooddles of tables.

FSHSchmo
August 1st, 2015, 14:24

That there is! I do miss my reference pictures from the MM though :(

Trenloe
August 1st, 2015, 17:16
I do miss my reference pictures from the MM though :(
They're still there - a link to the picture is at the top of the "other" tab of each NPC that has a picture. They just aren't in the campaign images list anymore.

demonsbane
August 2nd, 2015, 19:44
Treasure Generators, actually working magic items, ooddles of tables.

Ditto. Along with support for expanded & optional rules, flavor and images.

Xorn
August 3rd, 2015, 14:40
I need my complete trinity!

epithet
August 3rd, 2015, 17:12
I need my complete trinity!

Amen.

Baron28
August 3rd, 2015, 19:41

I just saw this post, so my apologies for the late reply, but I feel compelled to jump in and answer this (rhetorical) question. :)

On my own and with some help, I possess a complete set of functioning treasure tables from the DMG that enable my players to roll for treasure at a click of a button. These tables are linked to other tables to determine the amount of coinage and magic items they will receive. For example, if a player rolls on the individual treasure table CR 1-4 and their roll is 5d6 copper pieces, 5 six sided dice automagically roll to determine how many coppers they receive.

In addition, I also setup the magic item, art, and gems treasure tables. I have a magic item mod file, but it is just a list with detail text, but no fancy effects or anything of the sort for items that have been setup in the PHB mod for items. (psst, I'm waiting for you guys at SW to do this!)

I also setup the carousing, lingering injuries and system shock tables for my groups because I'm an evil DM. :)

There are many, many, many other tables that I did not make time to create because the DMG is HUGE!

My point here...I have high expectations and high hopes for how the DMG mod file is going to work. 5E really needs this mod file because 5e really needs DMs for this to succeed. In a few rolls on the tables, you could spin up a homebrew campaign in no time at all using the tables. I'm sure some of the neat things I have done here, you had plans for long before I even knew SW and WOTC were going to be 5E bed buddies. :)

Looking forward to what you bring to market in the coming days or weeks.