PDA

View Full Version : Tips for DMīs creating adventures

Bagpuss2
December 31st, 2004, 17:08
Thought Iīld start a tips section, for shortcuts and ideas folks have had while playing around with FG.

When you create a Personality that is likely to be used for combat, create some dragable text lines in the Description box. Such as...

/die d20+2 short sword attack

/die d6+1 short sword damage

Then when they come into play those lines can be draged either to the chat line, then hit enter (do NOT drag it to the chat window, as this just prints the text as is); or to the shortcuts down at the bottom.

I also create a dragable text box with the treasure pickups and items they might find.

sppeterson
January 1st, 2005, 00:05
That's sharp. Thanks Bagpuss!

Elric
January 1st, 2005, 02:41
OK - I tried this but I guess I'm missing something. Can you post a code snippit on how you did that? :D

Bitr_Haag
January 2nd, 2005, 01:05
I think he's just talking about typing "/die 2d6+1" in the chat window and then dragging it to the hot bar so you have the common dice roll available at a click instead of having to constantly pick up the dice, add modifiers, etc...

Elric
January 2nd, 2005, 02:39
I understand what needs to be dragged to the chat line - I would just like to see the XML code snippit to make a draggable text box. :D

Bagpuss2
January 2nd, 2005, 15:26
It would be much easier to show you with pictures but Iīm not at home so donīt have access to my image hosting area. Iīll try and do some tutorials with images when I get back on the 8th.

Okay there are a couple of ways you can do this if you donīt want to get into the XML, then FG lets you do it using the radial menus.

You need the full version, create a new personality it automatically starts you off in the description field and in edit mode, but if you are altering an existing one you will have to switch into edit mode by picking the brush icon which is at the bottom of the radial menu when you right click anywhere on the description field.

In edit mode, type in the text you want to be draggable for the NPC.

For example a low level thug armed with a short sword has only +2 to his attack roll.

I type

/die 1d20+2 short sword attack

in the personalities description field. Then right click on that line of text to bring up the radial menu, and select the "T" (in the bottom right corner) to open another radial menu that lest you change the text type. Select "chat frame" from this menu (top right postion). The text should now have a box round it.

Get out of edit mode by bringing up the radial menu and selecting the brush with a line through it. The text you type before that is now in the box will be dragable. Just like a room discription or NPC speech.

Instead of dragging it to the chat window directly you drag it the chat entry line and then press enter to excute the die roll command. You can also drag it to hotkey if its likely to be used a lot.

Right now for folks that are getting into coding.

The XML code for a chat frame is

<frame>/die 1d20+2 short sword attack</frame>

So for example hereīs the code for the description field of a thug personality I was talking about Iīve included his Strength value to show were it fits in a personalities description.

<invalue name="strength" value="13" />
<formattedtext name="text">
<p><b>Human War2 </b></p>
<p>Common street thugs </p>
<p><b>Attack Data </b></p>
<frame>/die 1d20+2 short sword attack</frame>
<frame>/die 1d6+1 short sword damage</frame>
<p><b>Possessions </b></p>
<frame>Short sword, rain cloak, dark poor clothing, pouch containing 4sp and 8cp</frame>
</formattedtext>

Elric
January 2nd, 2005, 17:41
This is just what I was looking for. Thanks! :D