PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Play

MTS
July 23rd, 2015, 23:33
After having spent a few days of reading here, I'm a bit confused. I want to host D&D 4e and 5e campaigns for my friends. What do I need to purchase to optimize my game?

It looks like a great idea to purchase these modules:

D&D 5e Complete Core Class Pack
D&D 5e Complete Monster Pack

I'm also considering an Ultimate license. But what else will I need?

Griogre
July 23rd, 2015, 23:53
Welcome to the boards, MTS. For 5E those modules would allow you to run a 5E game as a DM. You might also want to pick up a 5E adventure module like Lost Mines of Phandelver and/or the larger adventure path modules.

For 4E look at the DDI parser. If you want all the data then you will want to get a one month subscription from DDI so you can make your own library modules.

For an FG license the Ultimate License means your players won't have to pay anything to play. However, if you are planing on rotating DM's then it may be better to get the Steam bundle of Normal (Full) Licenses where you buy 4 licenses for the price of 3.

Trenloe
July 24th, 2015, 00:03
See the first few posts of this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24992-Starting-Cost

MadBadHare
July 24th, 2015, 01:13
As a new user as well (last couple of months) I would concur with Griorge. Just Pick up a module like "Lost Mines" and away you go. If you plan on doing most of the running of games then I would suggest the Ultimate license as you had mentioned. That takes any burden from your players, and you can share the material you purchase with them as well (Core class, Monster pack)- If they plan on running they will have to pick up licenses and material themselves as it is all tied to the account that buys it.
Just something to keep in mind when buying stuff.

Also do not be afraid to ask more questions. The community is very very helpful and will do their best to help make you successful. I have seen a few threads recently about people getting frustrated. Just know with a little patience and asking of question. You will be hooked as I have become.

Just an opinion from someone who would still be considered a newbie.