PDA

View Full Version : Numenera Ruleset Monster Damage

Dr0W
July 23rd, 2015, 22:01
It appears that the monster damage has something miscoded. Whenever you deal damage with a monster it shows up as:
"MonsterName: [DAMAGE] MonsterName " + the value of the damage.

That means the type of the damage the monster deals is exactly his name and not his Mod or anything else. So if I were to deal, say intellect damage, my name would have to be called "intellect".

Also, is there ANY kind of documentation on the Numenera rulebook? I've been trying to use it for a while now and had to check the LUA code just to figure out that if I wanted to deal specific kind of damage I had to use the names might, speed or intellect lower case or it would not work. Numera is a very simple ruleset but could use some adjustments for Fantasy Grounds.

How do I even set up different attacks that damages different kinds of attributes in a single monster, for example?

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2015, 21:06
Currently, the Numenera ruleset only supports a single damage option for monsters and only supports might damage for automated monster damage application.

The Numenera ruleset is a fairly simple ruleset that focuses primarily on the character sheet for automation, and was built as an example of building out a ruleset quickly on top of the CoreRPG ruleset layer.

Here was the thought process on the current Numenera NPC damage:
* All creatures specifically have a "Damage Inflicted" field in the Numenera rulebook that specifically does might damage. This is the intent of the Damage field that supports automated monster damage.
* There are a number of other creature abilities that boost or apply damage in different ways. Because these abilities are uncommon and because there are lots of different options in these abilities, I decided to leave these up to the GM to handle manually, instead of spending a ton of time coding and complicating the UI for these uncommon cases.
* The combat text that describes the these abilities varies over each creature making automated extraction of additional attacks a lot of work and prone to have issues down the road.

If you end up implementing something in an extension that automates the changes you envision, I usually review extensions every few minor versions for those I can incorporate which we feel will improve the experience.

Regards,
JPG