PDA

View Full Version : Saving/Character problems

Lorn
July 23rd, 2015, 21:11
Hello everyone !

I have a problem and I hope you will be able to help me.

I play on a Dark heresy ruleset and my problem is in two parts. First of all, during the creation of the first character, for one of my players, I noticed that, when I opened the character sheet a few hours later, it didn't save the content of the inventory, the weapons and armor. Very specific, right ?

The second part came a few hours ago, during the creation of the second character. What was it, this time ? The character sheet wasn't saved at all. I created the sheet once again, and it still wasn't saved.

Why do I have two very different problems on two character sheets ?

Maybe if I create the character locally and import to the campaign it will work, but I don't know how to do that.

Please, tell me that it's not the first time you see this kind of problem.

Nylanfs
July 24th, 2015, 00:13
Is your app directory pointing at a synced folder like Dropbox?

Lorn
July 24th, 2015, 00:26
I think so, yes. Bug i have no problem like this one with another campaign , with another ruleset. Just this one, that's why I don't understand.

damned
July 24th, 2015, 05:54
Cloud Sync Folders may attempt to sync at the same time you are attempting to save the DB.
Even though you havent see an issue in your other campaign this is absolutely the first thing I would check - its exactly why it was Nylanfs first question.

Lorn
July 24th, 2015, 09:04
Thank you for trying to help me, both of you.
So how can I check if there is a sync problem with the folder chosen for my app directory ?

JohnD
July 24th, 2015, 12:03
Don't save there.

Trenloe
July 24th, 2015, 13:29
If you're using any sync app/solution on your live data, sooner or later you'll have data sync issues. Don't use a sync solution on your Fnatasy Grounds data directly. Period. Sorry, I know this isn't what you want to hear, bu that should be your first step here. Copy the whole of your FG app data directory to a location that isn't part of your sync solution and in the FG settings window point the app data directory to this new, non-synced location.

Then see if you have the save issues...

Nylanfs
July 24th, 2015, 15:23
Note that you CAN copy your campaign directory into a sync'd folder manually when NOT running FG just fine.

Lorn
July 26th, 2015, 20:07
Okay, I just transfered my data in another folder and it seems to work (By the way, I wasn't using any sync/app solution in the first place). i don't know why it suddenly works but i'm relieved. Thanks for your help !

I have another little problem, different of this one but I don't think opening another topic would be a very good idea, so I hope i won't bother you too much by asking about it, here. From time to time people can't join my campaign, when I run a connection test it's a failure (I just tried it again, it's still a failure). In a couple of hours it will come back like it did the last time, but I don't know if it comes from me or if it's the Fantasy Ground's server that is on maintenance or something like that. (I have the feeling that the problem comes from me, but I want to be sure).

Zacchaeus
July 26th, 2015, 22:47
Okay, I just transfered my data in another folder and it seems to work (By the way, I wasn't using any sync/app solution in the first place). i don't know why it suddenly works but i'm relieved. Thanks for your help !

I have another little problem, different of this one but I don't think opening another topic would be a very good idea, so I hope i won't bother you too much by asking about it, here. From time to time people can't join my campaign, when I run a connection test it's a failure (I just tried it again, it's still a failure). In a couple of hours it will come back like it did the last time, but I don't know if it comes from me or if it's the Fantasy Ground's server that is on maintenance or something like that. (I have the feeling that the problem comes from me, but I want to be sure).

Almost certainly something to do with your router, especially if you are on a wireless network - like me. Every time that my router needs reset or there's a power cut or whatever I have to check that my IP address for my machine hasn't changed. If it has I have to change my port forwarding rules in my router to accommodate that. I could also be talking nonsense of course and Trenloe will be on here in a moment to give you the right answer :)

damned
July 26th, 2015, 22:57
Did you manually configure your router or did you use UPnP?
If you used UPnP did you start FG on another computer in between sessions? IF so UPnP is pointing to the other one - reboot your router and it should pick up your host PC again.
If you manually configured your port forwarding you might consider also configuring the dhcp server to also allocate the same IP address to your computer every time and this should also solve the issue.

Rebooting your router full stop could also be a good idea...

Zacchaeus
July 27th, 2015, 12:40
If you manually configured your port forwarding you might consider also configuring the dhcp server to also allocate the same IP address to your computer every time and this should also solve the issue.

I didn't know you could do this. (Almost) every time damned posts I learn something new :)

Lorn
August 14th, 2015, 13:02
Thanks for the help, both of you.
First of all, I manually configured my router, opened the port 1802 and I even followed what damned told me. I configured a static IP adresse for my computer (FG is used only on this computer) so that won't change all the time, with the DHCP server. I just rebooted my router a few minutes ago and...when it comes to connection test, failure again.
I will try to use Evolve and Hamachi for my next session, but I really wish I could solve this problem. Sorry for bothering you like that.

Zacchaeus
August 14th, 2015, 13:21
Have you also configured any other firewalls such as one that comes with your anti-virus software? I had similar problems connecting at first too and I discovered that it was my anti virus that was the culprit - even when I switch the AV off it still wouldn't connect. You could try plugging your computer directly into your modem if that's possible and if you get a connection then it is not the router but something else along the line - most likely another firewall.

damned
August 14th, 2015, 13:33
Thanks for the help, both of you.
First of all, I manually configured my router, opened the port 1802 and I even followed what damned told me. I configured a static IP adresse for my computer (FG is used only on this computer) so that won't change all the time, with the DHCP server. I just rebooted my router a few minutes ago and...when it comes to connection test, failure again.
I will try to use Evolve and Hamachi for my next session, but I really wish I could solve this problem. Sorry for bothering you like that.

PM me and I will have a look with you.

Lorn
August 14th, 2015, 13:49
PM sent, thanks for your help.

Mithreinmaethor
August 16th, 2015, 14:35
Setup your Fantasy Grounds shortcut to "Run as Administrator". That should solve all your problems....I had the same problem with my 5e stuff and running FG as an Administrator fixed it

Hello everyone !

I have a problem and I hope you will be able to help me.

I play on a Dark heresy ruleset and my problem is in two parts. First of all, during the creation of the first character, for one of my players, I noticed that, when I opened the character sheet a few hours later, it didn't save the content of the inventory, the weapons and armor. Very specific, right ?

The second part came a few hours ago, during the creation of the second character. What was it, this time ? The character sheet wasn't saved at all. I created the sheet once again, and it still wasn't saved.

Why do I have two very different problems on two character sheets ?

Maybe if I create the character locally and import to the campaign it will work, but I don't know how to do that.

Please, tell me that it's not the first time you see this kind of problem.

Lorn
September 6th, 2015, 17:59
My problem is finally solved, thanks to damned.