PDA

View Full Version : Grid help

Daywalker
July 23rd, 2015, 08:51
Hello People of Fantasy Grounds.
Im a New DM in the wunderfull world och DnD.
Me and my party is looking into VTT programs, we have tried roll20 and i'm not looking in to FG2 and its looking great.
How ever before i go all in and pay up and above 250$ for the Ultimate license and all the DnD Modules i need help with, for me, a very important function regarding maps and token play.
I've been playing around in the demo with the demo Campaign, loading maps that i have bought for the Rise of Tiamat Campaign.
In FG2 there is some nice functions to measure out distances and movement, BUT, the maps i have loaded for RoT have scale; 1 Square = 10 feet. After i have calibrated FG2 Grid to match the maps grid, is it possible to tell FG2 that one square is equal to 10 feet or 20 feet or 5 feet. So that the program to all the calculations for us, regarding distances etc.

Thanks!

Griogre
July 23rd, 2015, 09:21
Welcome to the boards Daywalker. The short answer is you can do what you want. Try it in the demo. Find out how many pixels your 10 foot squares are, say they are 50 pixels. Then instead of laying down a 50 pixel grid you just put down a 25 pixel grid so each square is 5 feet instead of 10 feet. Thus you'll get 4 squares in a 10x10 grid.

There is a tool Valeros made to also help for these type of situations or when a grid is doesn't have whole number dimensions. You get get it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19813-Map-Align-Utility-to-scale-and-align-map-to-grid

Daywalker
July 23rd, 2015, 12:22
Welcome to the boards Daywalker. The short answer is you can do what you want. Try it in the demo. Find out how many pixels your 10 foot squares are, say they are 50 pixels. Then instead of laying down a 50 pixel grid you just put down a 25 pixel grid so each square is 5 feet instead of 10 feet. Thus you'll get 4 squares in a 10x10 grid.

There is a tool Valeros made to also help for these type of situations or when a grid is doesn't have whole number dimensions. You get get it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19813-Map-Align-Utility-to-scale-and-align-map-to-grid

Think i figured it out, but that is a bit of anoing, for exampel on the 10 feet squares i need to paint out 10x10 grid per Square or 5x5 per square and every square in that grid then then gets the value 1 or 2/per new square in feet depending on the scale i have drawn out.
Hope this has been brought up to FG team otherwise hope they read this and fix some sort of scale system where i for exampel, draw a square and says this square should be 5 feet and the program calculate the scale it self.

Thanks for that.

Daywalker
July 23rd, 2015, 13:13
Thanks.
Abit of an annoying work around to scale out it by your self and have tones of smal sqaures, but it might get handy if you need to have exaktly 7 feet, and your standard grid squares are 10 feet.

Trenloe
July 23rd, 2015, 13:51
Vote for it on the FG wish list: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=95193. It's not a popular item, but who knows...