PDA

View Full Version : Sooo, attack formatting in the present GURPS ruleset??

Honken
July 21st, 2015, 19:25
So I am restarting my GURPS Traveller campaign fairly soon, and it would be nice to just drag and drop skills and attacks from the NPC's. Do anybody remember how the formating was supposed to be for it to work?

Thanks in advance!
/H

Andraax
July 21st, 2015, 22:28
You just drag and drop the level. It's like "14" for a level of 14. Damage on weapons is identical to that in the book: "5d pi" for example, is 5 dice piercing.

seycyrus
July 21st, 2015, 23:05
It seems to be,

Skillname (level):[attack type damage damageType, reach]

example

Shortsword (10):[swing 2d cut;1]

Edit: that's a comma near the end. I previously had it as a semicolon.

Andraax
July 22nd, 2015, 00:15
I just always use the GCA export filter, so I don't even know what's it's supposed to be. :-)

seycyrus
July 22nd, 2015, 00:25
I use the CGA export filter as well, but I do something wrong, and sometimes have to fix things manually.

Honken
July 22nd, 2015, 07:26
Thank you for that! It worked wonders. in the Attacks field, you have to type "Skill ():[type damage damtype;reach]". If you want more then one attack you separate with either ',' or ';' no space. So it would be

Brawling (13):[punch 1d-2 cr;C],Brawling (13):[bite 1d-2 cr;C],Brawling (11):[kick 1d-1 cr;C],SmallKnife (12):[swing 1d-3 cut;C],SmallKnife (12):[thrust 1d-3 imp;C]

This works at least, i don't get to roll the damage, though rolling the skill is a good start.

Now for Ranged attacks... Any idea on format? I tried the same kinda deal, but only gets :

Script Error: [string "scripts/npcrangedfield2.lua"]:112 attempt to concatenate global 'rate' (a nil value)

/H

Herodian
July 22nd, 2015, 14:11
Once you have the formatting correct, you can drag from the box to roll the attack, and hold alt and drag from the box to roll damage from the same line. While that is handy, getting the formatting correct is so tricky and arcane that I only bother with it on all but the most important NPCs.

Honken
July 26th, 2015, 10:44
So no one has any idea on how the ranged attacks should be formated?

/H

Andraax
July 26th, 2015, 12:31
I exported one of my PCs from GCA as an NPC and imported into the GURPS ruleset. This is what shows up, seems to work:

Assault Carbine (Trinity)() (14): 4d+2 pi, Acc4, Range 400/3000,RoF 15,Rcl 2

Honken
July 26th, 2015, 13:27
Ahh, nice, thanks. :) And from what i remember, exporting the characters was a bit of fiddling too, was there a special option you had to use or something?

/H

Andraax
July 26th, 2015, 13:45
Not really. Selected "Export" from the GCA menu, selected the "Fantasy Grounds XML for NPCs" export filter, changed the extension from .TXT to .XML. Then, in FG, I typed "/importnpc" into the chat box, selected my exported file, and voila, it was done.

The only thing that was a wierdness was that the rolling would truncate the name on the period in "5.56mm", so I just deleted that from the rifle entry, and it worked fine. You can delete it before exporting, or after importing, whatever floats your boat.

Honken
July 26th, 2015, 15:56
I am starting to feel stupid here. "/importnpc" does not make the npc show up... anywhere. I even tried to re download the ruleset, i had to get the gca filter, i even tried to fiddle it into the character xml file. Nothing is working. Do you have a new verison of the GCA filter? I found Spyke's site...

/H

Gigermann
July 26th, 2015, 16:44
I noticed the ranged attack parser does not like non-alphanumeric characters in the name, except maybe dashes.

Andraax
July 26th, 2015, 17:11
I got the filters and ruleset from here: https://enhanced.vlexofree.com/

When I do /importnpc, the new NPC just shows up in the NPC window, ready to be used.

Honken
July 26th, 2015, 17:33
Ah, thank you kindly sir, for the help. Now it works...

/H

seycyrus
July 27th, 2015, 01:13
Now for Ranged attacks... Any idea on format? I tried the same kinda deal, but only gets :

Script Error: [string "scripts/npcrangedfield2.lua"]:112 attempt to concatenate global 'rate' (a nil value)

/H

Sorry, I was sorta away and didn't see your question. Ranged atatcks sometimes come in screwy for me, even when I use the importNPC filter. IN fact everything sometimes comes in screwy for me, I don't know why.

But, to your question about ranged attacks. Delete everything after RoF 1,

Sometimes I have to move the mouse to another field, and then come back to the ranged attack to "update" it?

Honken
July 27th, 2015, 11:21
No worries. I got the help i needed from the community. :) it's all good!

The end result works. Now looking forward to the Core based GURPS ruleset. :)

/H