PDA

View Full Version : New DM seeks test subjects...errr...players

msd
December 30th, 2004, 15:22
That's right. I am completely new to DMing, as in have never tried it before. I would like to get in the game though and want to try it through Fantasy Grounds.

So, here is what I am thinking. In order to start off small, I am looking to run a one-shot of the Burning Plague (free WOTC adventure) next Saturday, Jan 8th, 2005 at 8pm EST.

Depending on how that goes, people should feel free to tell me I suck and then bail, or (*hoping*) if it goes well, we can continue on and perhaps even start a recurring campaign.

I will post more details later. Right now, I am just trying to get a sense of whether or not there is sufficient interest to suffer through the trials and tribulations of a new DM.

Thanks,
Matt

WolfStar76
December 30th, 2004, 17:31
Good luck MSD. :)

I wish I had more free time to play, I'd love to get in on this and the campaign that seems to be forming - but as it is I'm gonna be lucky to find the time to play with my friends who're all buying this.

*sigh* C'est la vie.

Renocide
December 30th, 2004, 17:53
I would be interested in joining up.

What time next Saturday are you looking at?

Any more information on setting?

Will you be using a voice chat program like Teamspeak or anything?

msd
December 30th, 2004, 18:08
I would be interested in joining up.

What time next Saturday are you looking at?

Any more information on setting?

Will you be using a voice chat program like Teamspeak or anything?

At this point, I had preliminarily set the time at 8pm EST, which would be 5pm Pacific. If a bunch of people are interested but can't do it specifically at that time, then I am certainly more than willing to settle on a time that is more convenient for everyone involved.

No voice chat at this time only because I don't really have the app and as a first time DM would like to limit the number of plates I have to juggle at any given time.

In terms of setting, this first adventure was going to be a one-shot so I hadn't thought about it too much, but the setting I enjoy the most is the FR. My thought was that, if it turns out people like the game, that we might choose an area of the FR that is less documented so we (and I mean we as a team) have plenty of room to homebrew while still pulling some neat flavor from the FR books (organizations, known bad guys, etc.).

Again, as a new DM, this is very much of a learning process for me. All of this from my perspective is open to discussion. Let me know what you guys think and we can move forward!

Looking forward to it,
Matt

Renocide
December 30th, 2004, 18:26
Sounds good. The time is fine for me. Im on the east coast(New Jersey).

Your idea for the FR setting but at a remote location sounds good aswell.

If anything changes between now and then either post here or shoot me a e-mail. renocide2(at)hot-mail<dot>com.

DarkSpartan45
December 31st, 2004, 19:10
I'm definitely interested as well as I really want to test this out (just bought the full version). The time works perfectly for me as I'm also on the East Coast (South Carolina).

Email me more information (balmor71.at.gmail.com) about the game specifics. If no one else is interested, I'd like to play a Dwarven Cleric, but am flexible as to race and class to meet the needs of the group.

If you've got room for another player, my wife may also be interested. I've been gaming for 20+ years, but she's relatively new to it (only 2 years of experience).

Thanks!

msd
December 31st, 2004, 22:29
I'm definitely interested as well as I really want to test this out (just bought the full version). The time works perfectly for me as I'm also on the East Coast (South Carolina).

Email me more information (balmor71.at.gmail.com) about the game specifics. If no one else is interested, I'd like to play a Dwarven Cleric, but am flexible as to race and class to meet the needs of the group.

If you've got room for another player, my wife may also be interested. I've been gaming for 20+ years, but she's relatively new to it (only 2 years of experience).

Thanks!

Sounds good...that's potentially three we have and it's great because we are all on the East Coast.

I'll post some more info by the beginning of the week! Thanks for your interest!

Matt

Renocide
January 2nd, 2005, 18:52
Should we try a test run a few days before Saturday? Just to make sure everyones connections run right?

Just thinking we might be able to iron out some early connection problems before we start gaming.

Also, about how long do you think the session will last? I could probably go until about 11:30 p.m. but then I would have to go to work.

I have Wednesday and Thursday night off all night tho. I know most wouldnt want to game on a weekday but I thought I would throw it out there.

DarkSpartan45
January 2nd, 2005, 20:16
We can try a test-run Wednesday or Thursday night. Just to get familiar with connecting and what-not...I can have a character ready by then as well; it would be uploaded to you for review after we finish testing.

As to gaming...a couple of hours would be fine. No later than 11:30 to accomodate your schedule is fine by me. I'm not much for "marathon" gaming sessions :).

If you have any special requirements around character creation, and the method used therein, please reply direct to me or post them here.

Thanks!

msd
January 3rd, 2005, 02:14
We can definitely try (in fact we should make sure we do) that we have a pre-session session (if only for 15-30 minutes) to make sure that everyone can connect, we can share resources (maps, pictures, etc.) and so that you guys can upload your characters.

I will be posting more complete info tomorrow about character creation, so look for a longer post sometime tomorrow.

Excited!

-Matt

msd
January 3rd, 2005, 18:38
I have started a new game thread with (hopefully) all the requested information.

Game thread (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=133)

Thanks!

Matt