PDA

View Full Version : How to show the 'extra dice' from Advantage / Disadvantage in chat

Zephyros
July 20th, 2015, 16:22
Hi all,

When a player roll a attack/ability/save with (dis)advantage the chat only show the dice utilized. Is there a way to show the extra dice not utilized? Like a grayout dice? I ask this because as DM I don't see most of the time the two dices rolled, only the result, but if the player ask to me to use his Lucky feat because of the value of the extra dice I would't know that value lol.

kylania
July 20th, 2015, 17:22
You see the dice value for a moment when rolled usually before the dice fade away. It would be nice to be able to see both numbers though.

I don't think it would apply for the Lucky feat however. Lucky just lets you roll a second d20 for an attack roll, ability check or saving throw. If you have ADV or DIS on a roll the result is the winning/losing die that counts, not each individual die. It's a single roll result.

So you'd roll your ADV/DIS and get a single result then roll Lucky to generate a second die roll result (even though technically three dice were rolled) and choose either the value of the ADV/DIS result or the Lucky d20 result. The "extra die" never really counts.

Zacchaeus
July 20th, 2015, 17:55
Hi all,

When a player roll a attack/ability/save with (dis)advantage the chat only show the dice utilized. Is there a way to show the extra dice not utilized? Like a grayout dice? I ask this because as DM I don't see most of the time the two dices rolled, only the result, but if the player ask to me to use his Lucky feat because of the value of the extra dice I would't know that value lol.

Why are you not seeing the dice rolled? The DM sees every dice rolled; it's the players (depending on which option you set) that don't get to see some dice rolls.

And I agree with kylania, you would only be able to re-roll the result if you got a one on the final result of an advantage roll. In other words the player would need to roll ones on both d20's for the Lucky affect to apply.

Zephyros
July 21st, 2015, 14:33
Like I said, I don't always pay attention in the roll itself, only the result, because when players are rolling dices is common for me to be reading something else...

But about Lucky, yes, the player can choose between the three dices and not the two results... read the sage advice compendium:

Lucky
How does the Lucky feat interact with advantage and disadvantage? The Lucky feat lets you spend a luck point; roll an extra d20 for an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw; and then choose which d20 to use. This is true no matter how many d20s are in the mix. For example, if you have disadvantage on your attack roll, you could spend a luck point, roll a third d20, and then decide which of the three dice to use. You still have disadvantage, since the feat doesn’t say it gets rid of it, but you do get to pick the die.
The Lucky feat is a great example of an exception to a general rule. The general rule I have in mind is the one that tells us how advantage and disadvantage work (PH, 173). The specific rule is the Lucky feat, and we know that a specific rule trumps a general rule if they conflict with each other (PH, 7).

Ps. I answered this thread yesterday, but with the compendium link, but I don't know if the forum blocked the post... so I'm posting again without link.

Zacchaeus
July 21st, 2015, 15:53
Yeah, I'm still not seeing the problem. If the player rolls with advantage and the dice comes up let's say 12, we know that the other dice (the one you didn't see) must have been less than 12. So if the player wants to roll another dice using the Lucky feat then he can do so and use whichever result he wants. It won't matter what the unknown one is since it'll be less than 12 and presumably he's only going to want to use the feat if he doesn't like the result. So if he doesn't like 12 then he most certainly isn't going to have liked the one no-one saw any better.

If this is still a problem then the only solution would be to roll all of his d20's separately even when he has advantage, which I don't recommend since it will cause you a headache doing the maths.

Also in my previous post I think I was confusing this with the halfling's Lucky feature. But the point I made I think is still valid.

Zephyros
July 21st, 2015, 16:26
Valid for Advantage, not Disadvantage xD

Xorn
July 21st, 2015, 17:24
I agree, but Crawford also said in a later Lucky-Disadvantage sage advice post that the current result (pick from 3 dice) wasn't the intent, but sage advice is for clarification, not rules changes. This led to the original poster to say that would help him decide how to run it in his campaign, to which Crawford pointed out (this should be the front page of Sage Advice) that the DM, not the rules, dictates the game.

So when applying Lucky to a Disadvantaged check, in my game you can choose between the Disadvantaged result, or the Lucky die.

JohnD
July 21st, 2015, 21:11
So when applying Lucky to a Disadvantaged check, in my game you can choose between the Disadvantaged result, or the Lucky die.

This is how I'd do it as well; there is no "3rd die" - there's two dice rolled with advantage or disadvantage but one doesn't count. So there's either the higher of the two dice in the case of advantage, or the lower of the two dice in the case of disadvantage - this is what the Lucky feat applies against, not the discarded roll.

leozelig
July 21st, 2015, 23:30
Maybe I am missing something, but here is my interpretation of the sage advice answer and the OP's problem... Let's say you have advantage or disadvantage, and you roll 10 and 3. You spend a luck point and roll a 16. Presumably, you decide to use the two highest rolls, 10 and 16, so the result is 16 with advantage and 10 with disadvantage.

If you have disadvantage, FG would drop the 10 from the first roll, which is the result you want in this case. I have only played 5E from the player side, so I don't know what is visible to the DM.

Xorn
July 22nd, 2015, 12:21
@leozelig:
You're absolutely right in your interpretation of the Sage Advice answer. However Crawford also stated that the way Lucky & Disadvantage interact has been viewed as a potential problem--but Sage Advice is for clarification, no redesign.

Then another user commented that this clarification would make it much easier for him to personally make a ruling as a DM, to which Crawford said the DM, not the rules, runs the game. Lemme find the link here...

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/05/21/how-lucky-feat-works/

There ya go. The way I was handling Disadvantage + Lucky was already how I did it from my gut, but this solidified my decision.