PDA

View Full Version : Prevent players from taking actions when it is not their turn.

Damo6337
July 20th, 2015, 00:10
Hey guys, I am new to fantasy grounds, so this may be a very noob question.
Is there a way to prevent my players from moving, or accidentally throwing dice during another players turn?
Also is there a way to track each characters (actors) actions, e.g. movement, attack, second attack, bonus actions etc.?
Is there something I am not setting up correctly?

No1Sciguy
July 20th, 2015, 00:40
If you right click on the tokens on the map you can lock them. Then they can only move after you approve it. As for the rest, I don't believe so other than the feedback you get in the chat window.

brautigan1
July 20th, 2015, 00:53
Hey guys, I am new to fantasy grounds, so this may be a very noob question.
Is there a way to prevent my players from moving

Right-click a token on the map and choose "Lock Tokens." If you haven't played with tokens locked, you may want to experiment and get used to how dragging out movement lines work, canceling movement, etc.

or accidentally throwing dice during another players turn?
No, but if someone is doing a lot of that, you can clear their targets in the combat tracker so at least they're not doing damage or applying effects to targets inadvertently. If it's a real problem, you can ask that everyone clear their own targets at the end of each of their turns. Frankly, I'd just start issuing warnings.

Also is there a way to track each characters (actors) actions, e.g. movement, attack, second attack, bonus actions etc.? If you have a map with tokens open, the "tracking movement" answer should be obvious, so I'll assume you mean tracking movement via theater of the mind. Well, you can always use a map and not share it with the players, if you feel that tracking their movement is important for you, but not for them. Otherwise, I'd just keep in my head a general idea of marching order.

As far as attack, second attack, bonus action, etc goes, it seems to me your only "etc" item would be a reaction. That's not a lot to keep track of turn by turn, with the exception, perhaps, of reaction. Everything else should happen right there on the player's turn. I can't imagine you'd have a difficult time remembering that someone swung their greatsword earlier in their turn, and therefore aren't allowed to swing it again. However, if reactions come up a lot in your game, I might consider creating an effect with the simple description of "reaction used." If, because of some sort of handicap, you are unable to keep track of other actions on a turn by turn basis, you could actually create an effect for every legal action, the same way as you did with reactions. Personally, if I suffered from such a handicap, I would just inform my players that they need to keep track of their own actions per turn. The vast majority of players are already doing that anyway, of course.

Is there something I am not setting up correctly?

I'm not privy to how well you understand everything else in Fantasy Grounds, but on this subject, the answer is: nope... full speed ahead, Damo.

Damo6337
July 20th, 2015, 01:28
Thanks for the feedback. I will give it a whirl

GunnarGreybeard
July 20th, 2015, 06:43
. . . . accidentally throwing dice during another players turn? . . . .
I have personally never had this problem but I suspect its something you see most often with newer players especially when they are poking around in the character sheet clicking on things to see what happens.

Damo6337
July 20th, 2015, 06:48
I have personally never had this problem but I suspect its something you see most often with newer players especially when they are poking around in the character sheet clicking on things to see what happens.

That is exactly what happened. With more experience I may see this problem disappear, otherwise I will do as suggested above and start handing out warnings.

Griogre
July 20th, 2015, 09:09
20d6 Lightning bolts tend to stop this. However if they are still in the trying out stuff stage, then just put a monster or two on the combat tracker and let them try their attacks on them. :) I'd suggest you also teach your player how to heal damage on the wrong monster or from a genuine misclick by holding down Ctrl and dragging the wrong damage from the chat window back onto monster. Holding Ctrl down when dragging damage drops a negative amount of damage, effectively healing the monster by that much.

Zacchaeus
July 20th, 2015, 10:20
As far as attack, second attack, bonus action, etc goes, it seems to me your only "etc" item would be a reaction. That's not a lot to keep track of turn by turn, with the exception, perhaps, of reaction. However, if reactions come up a lot in your game, I might consider creating an effect with the simple description of "reaction used." If, because of some sort of handicap, you are unable to keep track of other actions on a turn by turn basis, you could actually create an effect for every legal action, the same way as you did with reactions. Personally, if I suffered from such a handicap, I would just inform my players that they need to keep track of their own actions per turn. The vast majority of players are already doing that anyway, of course.

The DM can keep track of whether the player has used their reaction in the Combat Tracker. Click the 'offense' button (sword icon) and there is a tick box there which you can toggle on or off.

damned
July 20th, 2015, 12:37
Hey Damo6337 make sure you are doing your encounters and PCs correctly too. PCs get dragged from Portrait top left to the Combat Tracker and then to the Battle Map. NPCs get dragged from NPCs to Combat Tracker and then to Battle Map.