PDA

View Full Version : Assign IP

judoka13
July 19th, 2015, 20:42
Why can't i assign FG an IP? It isn't seeing my Hamachi for some reason and I can't find any where to assign the Ip or help it see Hamchi. Basically for all of the moey we have spent on this it should not be this hard to use.

kylania
July 20th, 2015, 00:43
You don't assign IP addresses to applications, that would be a port number. The IP is whatever IP address your cable modem(or whatever external connection) has. Check https://myip.is to see what yours is. That's the number you'd give to players.

Now the trick is, assuming you're using a router so that many devices in your home can use your one cable connection, to get your router to know that "When someone looks for port 1234 on my external address I should pass that traffic to this internal PC on the same port." That's generally under the Gaming or Application settings of your router.

Never used Hamachi myself, but what you should be focusing on is how to tell outside connections where to go inside. Can you describe exactly how your network at home works? Something like:
"I have a Motorala CB100 Cable modem which plugs into an Asus Wireless Router model AWR100 which then plugs into my computer. I've also run the ipconfig command from the cmd window I opened by typing cmd into the Search Program and Files box and then hitting ENTER then typing ipconfig from the new C:\... prompt and found out that my internal IPv4 address is 192.168.100.101 (or whatever) which I guess might be helpful since that's the address I need to tell my router to pass x port to, right?"

midas
July 20th, 2015, 01:32
You don't need to assign an IP in Fantasy Grounds. Fantasy grounds just sits on your machine and runs, listening for whatever connections try to come into it. While it's true that some applications (usually server applications like web servers) can be instructed to only "listen" on a particular IP address, Fantasy Grounds is not one of these applications.

When using Hamachi, you will ignore the IP address you see in your Fantasy Grounds client as the GM--that IP address is for the most part only accessible if your players are on your network.

The way Hamachi works is the users connect to your Hamachi IP and Hamachi directs that traffic to your internal IP (the one you see in Fantasy Grounds). So basically it's like this:

- Players and GM connect to Hamachi.
- GM relays his/her Hamachi IP address to players.
- Players connect to GM's Hamachi IP address.
- Hamachi receives those connections and sends the connections to GM's machine.

What can happen however is if you have a firewall on your computer it may block the connections that Hamachi is trying to make to Fantasy Grounds. When you're testing this, disable any firewalls and then launch Fantasy Grounds. If it works that way but not with your firewall enabled you'll need to configure your firewall to allow the connections to Fantasy Grounds. Different firewalls have different ways of doing it. Some of them you'd need to add the port Fantasy Grounds listens on (port 1802 by default if I recall) but most of them you can just configure them to allow whatever FantasyGrounds.exe is trying to do.

Also, it's important to have Fantasy Grounds running before users try to connect. That may seem obvious, but all bases should be covered in cases like this. :)

Trenloe
July 20th, 2015, 01:37
The OP has various threads posted at the moment which basically cover the same issue (not being able to get connected to the GM), there is one thread currently trying to work through the issues - please post suggestions, etc. in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25239-Nothing-but-troubles Saves us a lot of time if we all work on the issues at hand from one thread. Thanks.