PDA

View Full Version : Nothing but troubles.

judoka13
July 19th, 2015, 20:13
This program has been nothing but trouble. Four friends and I have bought this program, and basically we realized you have to be a network engineer to make it work. My guys have no idea how to manipulate firewalls, We have tried to use Hamachi but FG won't see the hamachi IP address. I can't assign an IP address in Fantasy Gorunds so I can't make it see hamachi. How does anyone with minimal network knowledge use this?

Trenloe
July 19th, 2015, 20:25
Sorry you're having a lot of issues. Hopefully we can help you get going...

1) Only the GM has to do anything with their network. In 99.9% of all cases the players won't have to do anything. So, just concentrate on trying to get the GM connection going. If you're going to rotate GMs then just work on the first GM to get going initially.
2) What kind of network does the GM have? Assuming this isn't a shared network (like at work, on a university campus, hotel, army base, etc.) then you should be able to login to your network router and make the changes necessary. For most people the changes will be minimal and we can easily talk you through it.
3) Do you have access (the login ID and password) to your network router? What model is it?

Trenloe
July 19th, 2015, 20:42
As Hamachi isn't working for you, it may be that the GMs computer is blocking the connection at the computer level. Using Hamachi you don't need to "assign an IP address in Fantasy Grounds", Fantasy Grounds will automatically listen for connections on all network interfaces it is using - as long as these aren't blocked by security software on the computer itself.

Do you have another computer where you are hosting as the GM? If so, install the free version of FG and try to "Join Game" using the local address specified by Fantasy Grounds (usually something like 192.168.xx.yy or 10.xx.yy.zz).

judoka13
July 19th, 2015, 20:45
Ok, I do not have access to the router as the landlord keeps that to himself. So that is why I tried to use Hamachi since I couldn't go in and manipulate ports. Sometimes FG sees the Hamachi Ip sometimes it doesn't. Even when it does we can't figure out how to make the damn thing work. None of my friends can connect, we sometimes get the right IP addresses and even wehn we do no one can connect.

Trenloe
July 19th, 2015, 20:50
Sometimes FG sees the Hamachi Ip sometimes it doesn't. Even when it does we can't figure out how to make the damn thing work. None of my friends can connect, we sometimes get the right IP addresses.
As mentioned above, FG doesn't need to "see the Hamachi IP". Have you followed the instructions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi

As also mentioned above, even if Hamachi is working, your local computer may be completely blocking connections and you'll be wasting your time trying to use Hamachi until that is resolved.

The following might help to identify issues with your GM computer:

1) Do you have another computer on the same network you can briefly use to try connect on the local (internal) address?
2) If you don't have another computer you can use for a test, start up another instance of Fantasy Grounds on the same computer as the GM instance. With the GM instance running a campaign, "Join Game" on the second instance with a "Host Address" of localhost

judoka13
July 19th, 2015, 20:54
I do not have another computer at the moment. I followed that thread. I found it weeks ago. it wasn't helpful. I appreciate your time but I am too damn frustrated at the moment to continue beating my head against this wall.

Trenloe
July 19th, 2015, 21:00
I do not have another computer at the moment. I followed that thread. I found it weeks ago. it wasn't helpful. I appreciate your time but I am too damn frustrated at the moment to continue beating my head against this wall.
OK, fair enough.

If you want any help in future come back to this thread and I'm sure one of the many community members will be willing to help you out.

As some last suggestions/notes/summary of above:

Try connecting a second instance on the same computer (post #5 above).
When you have a player ready to test with you, try temporarily disabling all firewall/security software on the GM computer. Then run Hamachi and Fantasy Grounds on the GM computer and the GM should start up a campaign. The player should start Hamachi and connect to your Hamachi network - make sure the player is seen in as connected to the Hamachi network within the Hamachi application. Give the player the Hamachi IP of your computer as reported by the Hamachi application (ignore what Fantasy Grounds is saying the IP address is). The player should "Join Game" from Fantasy Grounds with the "Host Address" being the Hamachi IP address of the GM.

Xydonus
July 20th, 2015, 04:53
Hey Judoki, sorry to hear your having troubles... As a user who used to have connection issues with FG, and had to use hamachi, I know what that frustration is like.

What that hamachi thread doesn't seem to indicate (unless I missed it somewhere, I only read the OP post) is that ALL users connecting to the hamachi host will need to check to see if they can ping the host. My experience with hamachi is that if the people connecting to me can't ping me (sometimes it might also show a yellow connection light rather than a green) then they won't be able to connect through the likes of FG. 99% of the cases this is usually due to a firewall. So for the host, it helps if their firewall is either at its lowest settings or disabled (just don't browse the net with it disabled) and it also may help if the other users have theirs the same.

The alternative is to use another program called Tuungle, which is actually better than hamachi in my opinion, far better, and more likely to work. So try that out, its free to use.

However I no longer use a VPN anymore to connect through FG since I discovered that for me to host without it, all I needed to do was change my router IP to my local computer one, making it a static local IP. That may make no sense to you so here's a guide for you, although not sure if its any use since you can't access your landlords router - https://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/staticlocalip.html

However, the benefit of this is that you don't need to change any settings on the router, only on the computer of the host. So... if your landlord is kind enough, and willing, get him to check the ranges of IP addresses (see the link above) and let you know what they are, so you can then follow the guide and change the settings on your computer. Or... you can go in blind, modifying the address and just test around for abit without asking for the router IP range.

Mgrancey
July 20th, 2015, 07:22
Since I didn't see it mentioned, have you asked your landlord to open that port on the router?

damned
July 20th, 2015, 12:43
judoka13 I just sent you a PM.
I wrote the Hamachi instructions - it took me about 5mins to get everything working - Im sure we can get you going fairly quickly.

JohnD
July 20th, 2015, 14:49
This program has been nothing but trouble. Four friends and I have bought this program, and basically we realized you have to be a network engineer to make it work. My guys have no idea how to manipulate firewalls, We have tried to use Hamachi but FG won't see the hamachi IP address. I can't assign an IP address in Fantasy Gorunds so I can't make it see hamachi. How does anyone with minimal network knowledge use this?
This is all about your setup; not seeing anything to blame on Fantasy Grounds. Not very often someone needs help but is too bothered to accept it... damned will get you started if it is possible in your situation.