PDA

View Full Version : Targeting Problems even though it is targeted.

_JackDoor_
July 19th, 2015, 17:51
Hi everyone,

So today i played the mines of phandelver and it was everyones first time using the software, and with my pointing everyone in the right place, everyone came away with good experience, except on player.

They had some trouble targeting even though we used all the methods. Even though the combat tracker was linked to all the tokens and it read that the player had targeted a certain enemy, when they came either just roll in the dice tower (Chat window) or via double click on the relevant dice box on the sheet, it wouldn't apply the roll against the enemy's AC or force the enemy to make a save.

It does work however when they place the dice over the creatures' token. But this is fairly arduous as the main thing everyone loved was getting through 5 sets of encounters rather than the two we used to do when we did pen and paper for 4e.

Help would be great as I have another session this coming weekend (ToEE conversion :D ), as this was a one shot for those who could make it to get used to the functionality of the program.

I am running the ultimate version of the software FYI linked with two PC's using the free and the third using the GM version.

Cheers,

Chris :D

Trenloe
July 19th, 2015, 17:56
Make sure the player hasn't clicked on the target icon in the top left of the modifier control under the chat window. If the target icon is greyed out then targets won't be used. Make sure it's enabled (black) for the player:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/5E/Targeting%20Control.jpg

kylania
July 19th, 2015, 17:59
Not entirely sure it's supposed to work this way, but when it's a player's turn make sure they left click on their own token on the map. This will place a darker shaded circle under their token making it the active targeter. Then they can Ctrl-Left click on another token to target that token. That will create a white arrow pointing from the dark circled token to the newly targeted token and the combat tracker should now show the proper target and dice rolls will be directed properly.

One thing I've noticed in my last game was that I, as a player, was able to do this for any token on the board! So I was merrily retargetting all the NPCs on their boss or fixing wrong targets for other players. Oh joy!

Zacchaeus
July 19th, 2015, 18:07
Almost certainly this will be because the PC was not properly linked to the map from the Combat Tracker. You'll still be able to 'target' the enemy by CTRL clicking but the dice rolls won't take effect (and the target won't appear as targeted in the CT). Dropping dice on the target will however work as will dropping any effects etc on the target in the Combat Tracker.

To make sure that everything works ALL PC's must be dragged from the CT onto the map and ALL NPCs must arrive on the map via an encounter or by dragging from the Combat Tracker.

Zacchaeus
July 19th, 2015, 18:10
[QUOTE=kylania;222478One thing I've noticed in my last game was that I, as a player, was able to do this for any token on the board! So I was merrily retargetting all the NPCs on their boss or fixing wrong targets for other players. Oh joy![/QUOTE]

Your DM needs to lock the tokens on the map. You should only be able to select and control the tokens for your character.

Zacchaeus
July 19th, 2015, 18:13
Make sure the player hasn't clicked on the target icon in the top right of the modifier control under the chat window. If the target icon is greyed out then targets won't be used. Make sure it's enabled (black) for the player:

Trenloe, every time you post I learn something new.

Andraax
July 19th, 2015, 18:41
Not entirely sure it's supposed to work this way, but when it's a player's turn make sure they left click on their own token on the map.

If you have not clicked on any other tokens on the map, you don't need to click your own before targetting. The default is to change your own target. So, you just need to Ctrl-Click on the intended target, which should remain targetted as long as it's on the map. Also, when it's your turn, you should get a white circle under your token.

Griogre
July 19th, 2015, 19:37
That, by the way is one of the cues a PC token is not linked to the combat tracker - if you don't get the turn highlight and when the DM hover's his mouse over the PC token you don't see the reach of the PC.

Griogre
July 19th, 2015, 20:09
@OP I forgot to mention that the DM can see targeting on the combat tracker. If the player says he's targeted something and the combat tracker doesn't show it you can confirm something is wrong.

Trenloe
July 19th, 2015, 20:20
@OP I forgot to mention that the DM can see targeting on the combat tracker. If the player says he's targeted something and the combat tracker doesn't show it you can confirm something is wrong.
I think the OP has mentioned this in the first post: "Even though the combat tracker was linked to all the tokens and it read that the player had targeted a certain enemy" - assuming "it" is referring to the combat tracker.

_JackDoor_
July 19th, 2015, 21:21
Alright everyone, thanks. it might be the reason Trenloe explained as we were fiddling around with the modifier area :) and i did lock the tokens from the very start so im sure its not that.

Thanks again everyone.

brautigan1
July 20th, 2015, 01:07
Lol, Trenloe nailed it (ofc). If the combat tracker actually shows a character having a target, that target is going to be in the combat tracker, and that target is absolutely going to be effected by rolls. In other words, if a character has a target, the character has a target, period. That target is taking what it's given, and there's only one thing that can prevent that, and Trenloe just pointed it out.

damned
July 20th, 2015, 13:01

You must be absolutely brimming with knowledge :)

Zacchaeus
July 20th, 2015, 14:44
You must be absolutely brimming with knowledge :)

You'd think so! but then he posts something else and I'm like "hell I didn't know that!" :)

demonsbane
July 21st, 2015, 00:16

Ditto!

Nylanfs
July 21st, 2015, 02:16
When in doubt blame the players. :-)

Griogre
July 21st, 2015, 18:18
Personally I always blame the player not logged in... ;)

Nickademus
July 21st, 2015, 18:56
A little off topic, but then the help has been given, but what is the actual use of that reticle button? On, it causes the normal assumed functionality. Off it would seem to roll dice without targeting. Why would you want that and need it handy enough to have a UI button right in front of you? I know that the button recently appeared a handful of updates ago so the logic must be fresh.

Trenloe
July 21st, 2015, 19:07
A little off topic, but then the help has been given, but what is the actual use of that reticle button? On, it causes the normal assumed functionality. Off it would seem to roll dice without targeting. Why would you want that and need it handy enough to have a UI button right in front of you? I know that the button recently appeared a handful of updates ago so the logic must be fresh.
From post#6 onwards: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22613-Targeting-inside-Combat-Tracker

Andraax
July 21st, 2015, 19:12
In my games, if a ranged weapon attack misses, I make the player roll a "to hit" for every token within a hex of the flight path, and if one of those is hit, that's where the "miss" landed. You can turn off the normal "targeting" using this reticle without losing your current target.

_JackDoor_
July 27th, 2015, 10:47
Hey everyone, had a game session yesterday and everything was working, and now everyone loves the program. Cheers for the help.

kylania
July 27th, 2015, 13:38
Glad to hear you got things working!