PDA

View Full Version : Charts not formatted correctly and search question

Enki
July 17th, 2015, 23:52
Hello,
When I open BRP charts the formatting is a single vertical row.
This is in the library for things such as the SIZ chart, the Damage Bonus Chart, etc.
The tables seem fine.
Example (not exact just to get an idea what I am talking about)
Size Chart from Character Creation

SIZ Pounds Inches Kilo CM
…..

This is really ugly.

Also, the search feature seems near useless.
I enter the module and begin to type and unless it is in the displayed headings it just blanks out.
Is this normal for FG search, (I'm a new user)
I would have thought it would have searched the module, not just the displayed index.
Reading the headings is not that difficult but I would like to open a library, type SIZ and get hits and short descriptions if possible.

Thanks!

Trenloe
July 18th, 2015, 16:09
Also, the search feature seems near useless.
I enter the module and begin to type and unless it is in the displayed headings it just blanks out.
Is this normal for FG search, (I'm a new user)
I would have thought it would have searched the module, not just the displayed index.
Reading the headings is not that difficult but I would like to open a library, type SIZ and get hits and short descriptions if possible.
It's not a search feature, it's a filter - it filters the headings on the screen. A complete search would have to be coded separately.

Enki
July 18th, 2015, 17:09
Trenloe,

Thank you for the prompt response.
It uses the magnifing glass icon which is a common search icon whereas a funnel is a common filter icon so thats where I was thrown off.
Not being a lua programmer I am not sure how difficult it would be to have a search feature.
My PDF copy of BRP 4th Ed supports in-depth find/search using Adobe Reader.
Is this something which might be implemented in the future?

As for the charts being malformed is this an isolated issue that I am having or is this something that will be corrected? (To do list)
The tables are so nice I am sorely disappointed that the charts are displayed so poorly.
In the condition they are I would have to look at the physical or PDF books for confirmation.
The reason I bought the module was to have all this basic information presented in an comprehensible format.

FG itself seems awesome and I also purchased the RMC set which at first perusal seems far in advance of the BRP module yet is 30% less money.

Thank you in advance

damned
July 19th, 2015, 12:35
unfortunately the BRP ruleset is quite dated and compared to the newer rulesets it is very much showing its age.
the price of the rulesets does not reflect their quality - those that have prices are usually based on the PDF rulesets pricing although some are cheaper by agreement with the publisher.

it is not a heavily played ruleset so it hasnt received much love from developers recently...

Enki
July 19th, 2015, 21:43
Thanks damned,
Thats a dam shame because BRP is a great old system.
Looks like I might have to try my hand at some development but I have never messed with lua.

Trenloe
July 19th, 2015, 22:19
Thats a dam shame because BRP is a great old system.
Yes, it is - one of my favourites. Unfortunately, I have too many Fantasy Grounds development projects on my hands to be able to revise this.

Looks like I might have to try my hand at some development but I have never messed with lua.
The charts should (hopefully) be able to be fixed quite easily with just some basic XML formatting. The issue is that the data entries in the SIZ table (for example), have paragraph formatted text tags around them, so they are being set as a new paragraph.

For example, this is the first (SIZ = 1) row:

<tr>
<td>
<p>1</p>
</td>
<td>
<p>0-12</p>
</td>
<td>
<p>0-30</p>
</td>
<td>
<p>0-20</p>
</td>
<td>
<p>0-10</p>
</td>
</tr>
Note the <p> .. </p> paragraph tags around each table data <td> entry?

If these are removed:

<tr>
<td>
</td>
<td>
0-12
</td>
<td>
0-30
</td>
<td>
0-20
</td>
<td>
0-10
</td>
</tr>
The row is shown correctly:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/BRP/SIZ%20Chart%20-%20Fixed.jpg

Enki
July 19th, 2015, 22:45
Trenloe,
You rock!
I will get on that as soon as I am able.
Thanks so much!

Enki
July 20th, 2015, 02:02
Ok, after a few minutes of colorful cussing I realized that perhaps I had to edit the other file.
In the mods there are two files, common.xml and client.xml.
I was editing the client.xml and nothing was changing.
After editing the common.xml it worked great and I now have a nice SIZ table.
Question is, what are the common and client files?
Should I edit the common and then copy and rename it as client.xml?
Are both identical?
I am guessing that the client file is passed to players when the module is shared so they can have a modified set but I'm just pulling this out of my backside.
Thanks in advance!

Trenloe
July 20th, 2015, 02:58
Client.xml and Common.xml are really an older format of the module data. If the GM allowed access to the module: client.xml would be used locally if the player had the same module installed, common.xml would be downloaded from the GM if there was no local client.xml file. It also allowed the player to use the modules within Manage Characters. They're usually exactly the same, so you can copy the modified common.xml to the client.xml file within the module.

I'd recommend you rename your edited module file - both the filename and the module name within the definition.xml file. This will ensure your edits don't get overwritten by the system update process.

Enki
July 22nd, 2015, 03:17
Trenloe,
I changed the definition.xml to this: (Just added an X to the end of the name)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>BRP Game System X</name>
<author>Chaosium, Inc. 2009</author>
<ruleset>Basic Roleplaying</ruleset>
</root>

In the common file I did the same:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<!-- Copyright SmiteWorks USA, LLC., 2010 -->
<root version="2.0">
<library>
<BRPrules-001 static="true">
<name type="string">BRP Game System X</name>
<categoryname type="string">Basic Roleplaying Essentials</categoryname>

Then I used the common for the client as well.

I then zipped the files as:

BRPGameSystemX.mod

..added it to C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\modules

I still have the original BRPGameSystem.mod

The new module as well as the old one is shown and they both show up in the library:

BRP Game System and BRP Game System X

However, when I open either of them I get a table of contents with duplicates.

Credits/Legal
Credits/Legal
1:Introduction
1:Introduction
2:Characters
2:Characters
and so on.

If I disable one of the two modules this issue goes away but I am perplexed as to where and how I should
make a change assuming I wanted both available for comparison.

Also, If I disable the original module the links to charts, (such as the size chart) from within the new module is now broken.

I tried remaning all instances, (180 some of them) in common and client from BRPGameSystem to BRPGameSystemX and that fixed the links to charts but I still get the double table of contents.

Thanks much!

Enki
July 23rd, 2015, 03:28
Think I got it.
Found this on the net….
You need to stop the spell lists from doubling up when they're displayed in the Library. So change the fourth line of the client file from <d20spells static="true"> to <d20spellsMine static="true"> (or whatever). You also need to change the change the closing element (further down the file, right above </library>) to match, from </d20spells> to </d20spellsMine>.