PDA

View Full Version : Questions related to the Combat tracker and the calendar.

bnickelsen
July 17th, 2015, 15:52
Not necessarily related but kind of sorta.

Time management

First in the combat tracker is there an easy way to "Fast Forward" time. The result I am going for is a way to have the effects count down when the party is not really in combat but still close enough to the next encounter that I need to check what effects are still valid. If not, is this something that could be done via an extension?

Second the calendar same question is there a way to advance the calendar.
I see that you can set a specific date as current. but it would be nice to be able to advance the current date by some value. I dont see it and I am guessing it is not there but I could easily have missed it. If not, is this something that could be done via an extension?

Player Note taking and the calendar

In the calendar the GM can add notes that are GM only or open to the player. Cool.
But I have two players that are heavy note takers and I would like them to be able to add those nortes directly to the calendar or link notes to a date. I dont think it is currently possible as is so If not, is this something that could be done via an extension?

Future date reminders

I know this is not a feature now (at least I am 80% sure it is not) But It would be really awesome to have reminders set in the calendar of course player and GM visible set separately. So, is this something that could be done via an extension?

Take my Money
Are we allowed to commission other people to build Extensions? Is there a provision for that in place?

kylania
July 17th, 2015, 16:22
You can click the Next Round button or manually set the round count to whatever you want. You can also right click on the Menu button to expire temporary effects if needed.

Not sure about the rest. :)

bnickelsen
July 17th, 2015, 16:33
You can click the Next Round button or manually set the round count to whatever you want. You can also right click on the Menu button to expire temporary effects if needed.

Not sure about the rest. :)

Clicking the round button cycles through each entity on the tracker to cover 10 minutes is a lot of clicking and if you adjust the round you are on it does not change the duration on the effects. That is what I doing now but it takes a minute to visit each entity and to the math to reduce the counter on each effect.

Zacchaeus
July 17th, 2015, 16:36
Ok here we go.

Time Management: Click on the twirly arrow thing in the bottom right hand corner of the Combat tracker to advance the CT by one round at a time.
Calendar You move forward in the Calendar by clicking on the date and then clicking on the arrow to the right of the year on the top of the dialog.
Players cannot make Calendar notes. They can however make notes by clicking on the 'notes' button from the right hand menu and typing away to their hearts content. This would be way better than typing into the calendar. If they want the notes in a date order they can drag the date text from the chat into the note header.
Future Date: The GM can type notes into any date anywhere in the Calendar at any time. Thus when that date comes round the note can be viewed by the players. In fact at any time the DM and players can see all notes at any time by clicking on the 'all Notes' button and selecting the notes.

Take my money: There is nothing in place for this. Also I would council against it. Making an extension is one thing but it would have to be supported. If the game version changed and the code was altered then the extension might not work. And whoever you paid might not be interested. It's probably against the EULA anyway to charge for this kind of thing. But I haven't checked but someone will know :)

Trenloe
July 17th, 2015, 16:43
Right-click on the "next round" button and select 5, 10, 15 or 20 to advance the CT that number of rounds.

Zacchaeus
July 17th, 2015, 16:49
Right-click on the "next round" button and select 5, 10, 15 or 20 to advance the CT that number of rounds.

I'm going to stop posting here. The more I learn the less I appear to know. I did not know this. I might spend the next couple of hours right clicking on everything :)

Zacchaeus
July 17th, 2015, 16:54
Clicking the round button cycles through each entity on the tracker to cover 10 minutes is a lot of clicking and if you adjust the round you are on it does not change the duration on the effects. That is what I doing now but it takes a minute to visit each entity and to the math to reduce the counter on each effect.

It does change the number of turns if the effect is noted in terms of rounds rather than minutes, So if you have something which lasts 10 minutes enter it as 100 rounds instead and it will count down fine.

bnickelsen
July 17th, 2015, 16:55

Awesome, that will make things a lot easier. Really much past 20 rounds and you would need to visit everything anyways.

kylania
July 17th, 2015, 16:57

Sorry in advance for the noob cropping. To cycle through only a few rounds of various effects you'll need to do what you are doing I think. To clear all x rounds left though do this:

https://i.imgur.com/BF9LoHb.jpg

Rclick the Menu button, bottom left of the Tracker. Select Effects at the bottom of the wheel then select Clear Expiring Effects at the bottom of the second wheel. You'll notice our intrepid Raaaanger! was sleepy for 10 rounds but now isn't!

Zacchaeus
July 17th, 2015, 18:26
kylania, you may well have understood the problem better. I though he was meaning that if he had an effect that lasted 10 minutes and the next encounter was 5 minutes away then he would need to count the turns. If, however, he needs to clear short term effects then of course this is the method to use.

bnickelsen
July 17th, 2015, 19:10
kylania, you may well have understood the problem better. I though he was meaning that if he had an effect that lasted 10 minutes and the next encounter was 5 minutes away then he would need to count the turns. If, however, he needs to clear short term effects then of course this is the method to use.

You were on track with what i was looking to do

TASagent
July 17th, 2015, 20:47
I believe only effects whose duration is entered in Minutes or Rounds actually expire. An ability that has its duration specified in Minutes is converted to Rounds when it's applied in the combat tracker. Try it. An ability that lasts 2 minutes is added to the CT with a number of rounds remaining equal to 20.

However, once on the CT, no distinction is made between a duration that was specified in Hours, Days, and a blank duration. Neither expire if you choose to "clear expiring effects". For those, it's purely informational. I've considered toying around with a mod that might handle more time-management stuff like that, but I decided not to because I wasn't happy with how any such system would actually work. It would be a lot of effort to make something that handled that and wasn't a giant pain. I feel that dealing with durations manually when they're not specified in terms of rounds or minutes is simply an order of magnitude easier than feeling obligated to figure out how much time has passed on a more macroscopic scale, and inputting those numbers to advance expiry counters.

YMMV, but I've never had a situation where abilities of different non-trivial but long durations (>10Min and <1Day) were ticking such that I felt a system for tracking all of that automatically would be more convenient than adjudicating and hand-waving.

Zacchaeus
July 17th, 2015, 22:32
Yep, what TAS says.

damned
July 17th, 2015, 23:57
@ddavison, @Moon Wizard,
I think the Steam Workshop would allow you to pay for extensions and user created content... but the Workshop is on hold while other higher priorities are finished.

I too would really like the calendar to editable/manageable by the players. the GM has enough work to do. If the players could document what happened each day/session etc in the Calendar it would be soooo much more useful in my opinion. this is on the wishlist with only 15 votes at this time. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/ please vote!