PDA

View Full Version : Effects "Singles"

bnickelsen
July 17th, 2015, 14:59
From WIKI:

Expenditure: By default, an effect is applied to all future rolls until the duration expires. The expenditure button can be toggled to Action, Roll or Singles as well. If set to Action, the effect will be applied to the next relevant action (set of rolls)(i.e. area of effect attack rolls as a set). If set to Roll, the effect will be applied to the next relevant single roll. If set to Singles, each component of the effect will be applied once when relevant, then removed. (See below for effect label components.)

Singles....Wh...What?

Trenloe
July 17th, 2015, 15:40
SNGL. Try it. :)

kylania
July 17th, 2015, 15:47

The times I've tried it and acted exactly the same as ROLL, so I'm obviously missing some nuance of this option. :)

Trenloe
July 17th, 2015, 15:53
Try: ATK:2;DMG:1 and see what marvels occur when you roll an attack...

bnickelsen
July 17th, 2015, 15:55

I am working on that right now. I added it to my Bards Inspiration. The effect applies to the target. Looks real pretty and all. but then what.

Is this just informational or is there a way that I am missing that allows the system to know it was used?

Trenloe
July 17th, 2015, 15:58
"each component of the effect will be applied once when relevant, then removed."

Trenloe
July 17th, 2015, 16:00
is there a way that I am missing that allows the system to know it was used?
The system knows it's used when you use it - ATK will be used when you roll an attack, DMG will be used when you roll damage, etc... See post #4 above and try it.

bnickelsen
July 17th, 2015, 16:02
The system knows it's used when you use it - ATK will be used when you roll an attack, DMG will be used when you roll damage, etc... See post #4 above and try it.

So no real effect on inspiration where the target gets to apply a 1DX to a roll of their choice.

Trenloe
July 17th, 2015, 16:16
So no real effect on inspiration where the target gets to apply a 1DX to a roll of their choice.
No, because effects are applied directly to a roll. Bardic Inspiration can be used after a roll: "The creature can wait until after it rolls the die for the ability check, attack roll, or saving throw..."

Just use an informational effect with a duration of 10 rounds to indicate who has Bardic Inspiration available to use and remove it once they manually use it.

Zacchaeus
July 17th, 2015, 16:19

No. As Trenloe says SINGLES is something that would be used where there is more than one component to an effect. As he describes in his example each of the components of a multi part effect will be applied when appropriate. ATK will apply to the attack roll, DMG to damage, SAVE to the saving throw etc. Where there is a single component like Bardic Inspiration it will only apply to a single roll. You CAN use singles for Bardic inspiration but it will act exactly the same as ROLL since there isn't a second or subsequent part to the effect.

What I think you are looking for is to automate the roll in such a way that it will apply only when the character wants it too. However FG can't know exactly, within the duration of the spell,when the player wants to use it. This is one of these instances when you need to apply a 'reminder' type effect and have the player physically roll the extra dice at the point they want to use it. In other words the effect would simply be 'bardic inspiration;' with a counter for the number of turns. Then the character would roll an extra d6 whenever he wants to use the inspiration before the counter gets to zero. Then the DM removes the effect once that roll is made. There is no way to automate this kind of thing.

Jeez, Trenloe. Ninja'd again!

bnickelsen
July 17th, 2015, 16:29
Not a problem just wanted to make sure and in the process discovered a "new" feature (Singles). that seems very useful.

Thank you for all the replies.