PDA

View Full Version : Primeval Thule for 5e

Mask_of_winter
July 16th, 2015, 23:09
Finally a Sword & Sorcery setting for D&D 5e!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e
It's basically Conan vs Cthulhu. I'm very excited about this and so should you! Especially since some big names are involved in this.
Who would be interested if I ran this?

crb31
July 16th, 2015, 23:23
I think it looks awesome!
I think that answers your question. Maybe it could be on the Store???? Anyway, I will learn to Par5e if I have to. :square:

Mask_of_winter
July 16th, 2015, 23:26
A preview of the setting without the rules is available here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/129630/Primeval-Thule-Travelers-Guide

kylania
July 17th, 2015, 00:26
In! Thanks for the heads up, was just looking at this the other day from some post here.

epithet
July 17th, 2015, 02:51
I got the hardcover & digital pdf pack with 3+ adventures for $75. I would buy the same products all over again if they were put up as modules on the Fantasy Grounds store.

Just sayin'.

VenomousFiligree
July 17th, 2015, 08:26
Run it in UK friendly times and I'm in!

Mask_of_winter
July 17th, 2015, 09:03
Too bad UK mornings are hostile to you ;)

Nylanfs
July 17th, 2015, 11:34
I got the hardcover & digital pdf pack with 3+ adventures for $75. I would buy the same products all over again if they were put up as modules on the Fantasy Grounds store.

Just sayin'.

Make them, and let Doug and John talk to the publisher about selling it in the store and you could get a residual income from it, just saying B-)

Mask_of_winter
July 23rd, 2015, 18:14
Funded and now near the second stretch goal!

VenomousFiligree
July 23rd, 2015, 19:44
Too bad UK mornings are hostile to you ;)

Yeah :(

alfarobl
July 30th, 2015, 13:01
Maybe we will be lucky and they will add the supplement for FG as an addon... hope SmiteWorks talks go forward in GenCon
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e/comments?cursor=10726348#comment-10726347

Mask_of_winter
July 30th, 2015, 13:40
Maybe we will be lucky and they will add the supplement for FG as an addon... hope SmiteWorks talks go forward in GenCon
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e/comments?cursor=10726348#comment-10726347

Yeah it'd be fantastic if Smiteworks and Sasquatch could come to an agreement.

VenomousFiligree
July 30th, 2015, 14:40
Indeed it would!

Treegreen
August 2nd, 2015, 08:54
Some interesting developments continuing to dribble in from the Developer's comments:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e/comments

4 hours ago!!!
Creator Sasquatch Game Studio LLC
A quick note on news from Gen Con - we've talked with the Fantasy Grounds people, and we're pretty excited about what they can provide. We are going to work through some details when we get back home, but things look promising on that front. We also got promising preliminary information from our printer, so it looks like we'll be able to add more GM Screens, at only a couple dollars more than the current Deluxe tier.
We'll put more formal announcements together for these developments once we get the details ready to share, so expect more information early next week after we get back from GenCon.

kylania
August 2nd, 2015, 09:04
Ok, that's awesome! Here's hoping FG version of this comes out too (and that it's included with my pledge hehe).

VenomousFiligree
August 2nd, 2015, 09:11
Some interesting developments continuing to dribble in from the Developer's comments:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e/comments

Good news indeed!

Mask_of_winter
August 6th, 2015, 15:51
Check out the latest update (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e/posts/1315797)!

kylania
August 6th, 2015, 16:01
Happy to hear that! Hope it's not too expensive as an addon though. Already paying quite a pretty penny for this. :)

kmfdm
August 6th, 2015, 16:39
Well that convinced me to back it. Very excited to see it in FG.

ShadoWWW
August 6th, 2015, 18:14
Well that convinced me to back it. Very excited to see it in FG.

Me too.

kylania
August 7th, 2015, 14:00
From today's update:

FANTASY GROUNDS ADD-ONS

We are excited to be partnering with Fantasy Grounds to create virtual tabletop (VTT) modules for Primeval THULE! The modules will be created with the help of the gentlemen at Smiteworks, and the proceeds from the add-ons will help offset the cost of their work to create the modules. We have two levels of Fantasy Grounds add-ons: For a $10 add-on, you can get the Fantasy Grounds module for the Primeval THULE 5e Campaign Setting book. For $25, you will get the Complete THULE Package, which includes the Campaign Setting Module, plus modules for the stretch goal adventures and the Player's and GM Companions.

For those not interested in Fantasy Grounds, or who might prefer a different VTT, we'll note that all backers with the DIGITAL THULE bundle will get untagged versions of our maps included with the PDFs (no add-on required), and you are welcome to use those in the VTT of your choice.

Mask_of_winter
August 7th, 2015, 14:02
Fair price, good deal me thinks.

Trenloe
August 7th, 2015, 15:48
Fair price, good deal me thinks.
Yeah, you're going to get a lot of content for either of those packages.

ShadoWWW
August 15th, 2015, 09:40
Last three days for the kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e). It seems more and more cool.

kylania
August 17th, 2015, 18:09
37 hours to go! We're within just a few hundred of getting the next stretch goal, 8 more pages of Player's Guide goodness and softcover versions of the GM Guide, Player's Guide and Adventures*!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e/description

jshauber
August 17th, 2015, 19:37
Just hit the 43K stretch goal!!!!!

Hoping there are a lot of last minute people to get it to the next goal.

xanstin
August 17th, 2015, 20:51
Fantasy Grounds support and hard/soft covers....This is going to cost me a fortune. :)

viresanimi
August 17th, 2015, 23:49
I just hope that the modules go on sale in the FG store. I don't want both parts - just the modules please.

Vires Animi

epithet
August 18th, 2015, 00:00
Well, the Digital bundle is a $20 pledge, and the Fantasy Grounds modules are a $25 add-on. My guess is that you'll be spending more than $45 to get it all separately on the FG store, since we're talking about the setting, the player companion, the DM companion, and at least 5 adventures.

If all the adventures are priced at $10 each, that's more than your Kickstarter cost right there.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2015, 00:15
I doubt if the FG adventures will be $10 each (if they're released individually). Usually FG scenarios are around the price of the digital (PDF) product price. The scenarios from the previous Primeval Thule Kickstarter are $3.99 on DTRPG (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6416/Sasquatch-Game-Studio).

jshauber
August 18th, 2015, 02:56
Closing in on the 48K stretch goal, looks like that will fall. So 8 more pages of DM goodness.

alfarobl
August 18th, 2015, 11:59
I just hope that the modules go on sale in the FG store. I don't want both parts - just the modules please.

You will probably require the Campaign Setting for the adventures to work correctly. So buying them alone might not work too good, monsters, spells, items might be missing without.

Mask_of_winter
August 18th, 2015, 13:33
You will probably require the Campaign Setting for the adventures to work correctly. So buying them alone might not work too good, monsters, spells, items might be missing without.

I'm pretty sure that everything in the books/pdf will be included in their FG module counterparts. That's been a standard ever since I've been here at least.

epithet
August 18th, 2015, 13:46
I doubt if the FG adventures will be $10 each (if they're released individually). Usually FG scenarios are around the price of the digital (PDF) product price. The scenarios from the previous Primeval Thule Kickstarter are $3.99 on DTRPG (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6416/Sasquatch-Game-Studio).

I guess I should have checked that before running my fingers, huh?

kylania
August 18th, 2015, 14:08
Run your fingers over the raise pledge button. :)

Mask_of_winter
August 18th, 2015, 14:10
Run your fingers over the raise pledge button. :)
Yeah so close to the next stretch goal.
Can't wait to get my hands on this so I can run it for the community. :)

epithet
August 18th, 2015, 14:15
I did, a few times. I got the deluxe package with the FG and softcover add-ons.

If I had an extra 10 grand, I would definitely buy out the "Summon Sasquatch" level and let the sasquatches fly me and three friends out there for some mayhem. I'll bet that lot is a blast to lift a pint with.

jshauber
August 18th, 2015, 14:15
Yeah so close to the next stretch goal.
Can't wait to get my hands on this so I can run it for the community. :)

I am planning on using it for my next campaign, but would also love to play in one based here as well...just saying in case you need recruits....

Mask_of_winter
August 18th, 2015, 14:21
I am planning on using it for my next campaign, but would also love to play in one based here as well...just saying in case you need recruits....
Oh I will :) The time might not be friendly to most though. Weekday mornings Eastern, 3am Saturday or Sunday or if I can't find anybody, on a Friday or Saturday 9 or 10 pm.

alfarobl
August 18th, 2015, 16:56
I'm pretty sure that everything in the books/pdf will be included in their FG module counterparts. That's been a standard ever since I've been here at least.

That was not the case for LMoP you need at least the Basic Rules to be able to use the Pregens with D&D 5e. Hope you are right... but if you look into Savage Worlds adventures... you are required to own the Campaign Setting to be able to use Deadlands adventures. I guess Primeval Thule could be either way as it is not out... but chances are you would need the campaign setting too as they don't offer adventure modules alone.

Requires: A Fantasy Grounds full or ultimate license and the Savage Worlds v3 Ruleset and the Deadlands Setting for Fantasy Grounds

jshauber
August 18th, 2015, 22:02
Oh I will :) The time might not be friendly to most though. Weekday mornings Eastern, 3am Saturday or Sunday or if I can't find anybody, on a Friday or Saturday 9 or 10 pm.

Weekday mornings won't work for me, but a late night Friday or Saturday game (US) should be totally doable.

kylania
August 18th, 2015, 22:50
friday night would interest me :)

jshauber
August 18th, 2015, 22:59
friday night would interest me :)

Look at that!! Kickstarter isn't even over yet and Mask_of_Winter's Primeval Thule game is already about half full for Friday nights.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2015, 23:08
Look at that!! Kickstarter isn't even over yet and Mask_of_Winter's Primeval Thule game is already about half full for Friday nights.
Don't wait, run it in Pathfinder, 4E or 13th Age now!!!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6416/Sasquatch-Game-Studio

:)

(Should be post #10,000 - let's see if it resets...)

Mask_of_winter
August 18th, 2015, 23:37
Hmmm Friday night's huh? This would mean running three Sword and Sorcery campaigns... hmmm hehe

pauljmendoza
August 19th, 2015, 06:23
Can't wait!

kylania
August 19th, 2015, 06:26
One hour left... $600 till the next stretch goal. C'mon people, up your pledges! :)

Mask_of_winter
August 19th, 2015, 06:32
One hour left... $600 till the next stretch goal. C'mon people, up your pledges! :)
A lot of people will purchase add-ons at the end with the backertkit. I wouldnt be surprised if we reached the next stretch goal after this one during that time.

I wonder how long before we get the FG modules though. Doug, Zeph, John? Any estimate?

kylania
August 19th, 2015, 06:38
Can stretch goals still be reached via addons after the kickstarter closes?

Mask_of_winter
August 19th, 2015, 06:48
Absolutely. Add-ons are there because once the Kickstarter campaign is launched you can't add or modify the pledge levels so they have to do the Add-ons. Those serve the same purpose.

The past couple of Kickstarters I backed that's what happened. "Oh btw here's that other stretch goal reward for you since we reached it during the backer it".

kylania
August 19th, 2015, 06:57
Well hell, off to bed then! :)

Trenloe
August 19th, 2015, 15:46
It's completely up to the person running the Kickstarter if they include additional funding raised once the Kickstarter ends. Most do it, some don't. For this specific Kickstarter we're good:

We aren't done yet, though - we'll have a slacker backer program put together shortly, allowing those that missed the kickstarter a chance to get in on the action, and also allowing our backers to pick up extra add-ons. Stay tuned for more details. We'll add the slacker backer proceeds to our total for stretch goal purposes, so you can count on the 53k goal being complete as well.

:)

VenomousFiligree
August 21st, 2015, 13:02
What do those interested in running/playing Primeval Thule think of the following.

As S&S is usually very episodic, is anyone (GMs specifically) interested in running organised play style scenarios? Where players can take their PCs to different GMs running scenarios in a similar area of Thule?

Mask_of_winter
August 21st, 2015, 13:28
What do those interested in running/playing Primeval Thule think of the following.

As S&S is usually very episodic, is anyone (GMs specifically) interested in running organised play style scenarios? Where players can take their PCs to different GMs running scenarios in a similar area of Thule?
That's an interesting idea. I'm listening.

VenomousFiligree
August 21st, 2015, 13:53
That's an interesting idea. I'm listening.

I’m open to detailed suggestions. :)

The way I see it is that the GMs come up with some reoccurring villains and an underlying thread. They then run one shot (or two) self-contained sessions that include the underlying thread. Players would be required to update their PC after each session and upload to a central repository, so that they could be used in any GMs game. Maybe have a session sheet that tracks their advancement.

Mask_of_winter
August 21st, 2015, 13:55
This would require some guidelines. I'm not well versed in organized play. I don't like book keeping either lol

But coordinating events in the world of Thule with other GMs sounds like fun.

VenomousFiligree
August 21st, 2015, 14:03
Yes guidelines would be needed. Let's see if anyone else is interested.

epithet
August 21st, 2015, 14:12
I have interest in a shared-world approach to a Thule campaign, but I'm not sure I'll have the opportunity. Depends on the frequency and timing of sessions. I'm also leery of "organised play" situations (with absolutely no first hand experience to base this on) because I have the impression those tend to be "show me your certificate for every magic item you claim to have" and "show me in the rules where it says you can do that" kind of experiences.

VenomousFiligree
August 21st, 2015, 14:23
With the size of the anticipated group, I don't think the book keeping side will be too onerous. If a GM wants to know where a magic item comes from (they cant be bought and sold in Thule) he just asks the other GMs.

Rules I guess would be the core books, Primeval Thule and any others agreed, so no reason to be arguing those.

My times would be 1900 UK time occasional mid week and occasional weekends.

jshauber
August 21st, 2015, 14:29
Yes guidelines would be needed. Let's see if anyone else is interested.

Interested. US based Central Timezone.

I will be using Thule anyway so any additional chances to possibly play/GM other groups would be welcome.

epithet
August 21st, 2015, 14:30
That would be 0100 USA Central time, which would be pretty rough for me.

kylania
August 21st, 2015, 14:30
What little experience I've had for Adventure League games has been wonderful. There has always been the standard rules learning for both D&D and FG but nothing that caused tension or trouble. Just a bunch of friends playing a game and learning the ins and outs as we play.

There hasn't been any mistrust about magical items at all. Then again all of the adventures are extremely sparse with items, one max per group per adventure or so, so they are pretty rare anyway. Also certificates aren't always needed:

Magic items do not “need” to have a certificate. If an adventure has a magic item listed in the treasure portion of the published text, the DM can give it to the table to add to their characters still. The Magic Item needs to be added still to the Character’s log sheet and it can’t be traded. So as a store or event you do not need any of the packets with certificates. You can still do the published adventures and hand out the magic items as needed. Do NOT make your own certificates for these either. It will create to much confusion and those would not be official.

I've loved every AL game I've been in and highly suggest joining some if you get the time.

VenomousFiligree
August 21st, 2015, 14:37
I think you're going the wrong way, it would be afternoon not early hours of the morning.

VenomousFiligree
August 21st, 2015, 14:38
And the idea is that they would be other GMs running at different times.

Trenloe
August 21st, 2015, 14:39
19:00 UK (7pm) would be 1pm Central.

EDIT: LOL, VF did the conversion faster than I did... :-)

epithet
August 21st, 2015, 14:45
Well, 1:00 pm is much more convenient.

Wazoodust
August 21st, 2015, 16:13
Ok, evidently I missed something here, I did the kickstarter and have no idea where to got to download content, or will I get an email when it is released ?
Just thought the pdf at least would be ready as soon as the KS ended

Mask_of_winter
August 21st, 2015, 16:17
Still in layout. And they have to wait for the money. You'll get the pdf when it's ready. In the meantime, read the updates: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e/updates

Trenloe
August 21st, 2015, 16:17
Ok, evidently I missed something here, I did the kickstarter and have no idea where to got to download content, or will I get an email when it is released ?
Just thought the pdf at least would be ready as soon as the KS ended
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule-5e/posts/1328370

Kickstarter is primarily a way of getting funds up-front to allow people to complete (or start, in some cases) a project get artwork, pay developers, etc.. It's to Kick - Start a project. It's rare that someone has a product ready as soon as the KS ends (although it has happened on a couple of projects I've backed).

Wazoodust
August 22nd, 2015, 04:46
OK. thanks, I understand the purpose of Kickstarter, but I just got under the impression that a lot of this was ready to go. I read things with a bit to much anticipation probably and some of their stuff did say an Aug 2015 release date, being as there's not much August left I jumped the gun a little.

Nylanfs
August 22nd, 2015, 11:25
Well a lot of it can be copied from the PF release, setting, fluff and such. But the crunchy bits may take some time to convert or recreate.

Mask_of_winter
August 27th, 2015, 02:03
Is it out yet? :D

Mask_of_winter
November 26th, 2015, 08:50
Any ETA on the modules for this?

Redemption77
November 26th, 2015, 16:07
Im not even sure if the 5e release is available to buy yet in pdf or hardback

Mask_of_winter
November 26th, 2015, 17:26
Im not even sure if the 5e release is available to buy yet in pdf or hardback
No, but to KS backers it is available in pdf.

jshauber
December 1st, 2015, 18:04
For those of you waiting for Primeval Thule for FG, here is a link showing some progress the guys are making....(this is for the backers of the Kickstarter, not sure when it will be available for general sale).

https://www.sasquatchgamestudio.com/fantasy-grounds-progress/

Can't wait!!!!

pauljmendoza
January 16th, 2016, 05:50
Nice!
Been playing using the Book from the KS, very fun, and looking forward to the FG version!

kmfdm
March 5th, 2016, 15:25
Any update on this?

Will the bonus adventures be on FG as well?

My players have been loving Primeval Thule, but as we get higher in level there is alot more to input in.
Thanks!

lsujonno
March 25th, 2016, 15:09
Hey guys,

Sorry for the bump, just wondering if we can get a status on the Thule FG project.

Trenloe
March 25th, 2016, 15:15
Hey guys,

Sorry for the bump, just wondering if we can get a status on the Thule FG project.
Last I've seen is: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30389-Fantasy-Grounds-Missed-out&p=261642&viewfull=1#post261642

lsujonno
March 25th, 2016, 15:39
That will do! Thanks for the link.

pauljmendoza
March 25th, 2016, 17:15
I hadn't seen that, thanks!

ddavison
March 25th, 2016, 17:28
I'm going through it still. Some of the new formatting is at work and looks quite nice.

phogan88
March 25th, 2016, 18:24
I'm going through it still. Some of the new formatting is at work and looks quite nice.

Looks great! Is there an ETA? I'm several sessions in on my Thule campaign and having the official material available would be awesome.

thanks!

lsujonno
March 25th, 2016, 18:33
This is great doug. Thanks.

pauljmendoza
March 25th, 2016, 18:36
Nice!

timdog88
March 25th, 2016, 19:20
In that second screenshot, I noticed that under the "NPC" heading it looks like a copy of Fifth Edition Foes is in your module list. Are the Necromancer Games fifth edition books available on FG, or are they in the works? I'd love to get my hands on that Quests of Doom book for FG.

ddavison
March 26th, 2016, 00:06
I can neither confirm nor deny that super exciting announcements may have been inadvertently leaked in that screenshot.

pauljmendoza
March 26th, 2016, 03:12
I can neither confirm nor deny that super exciting announcements may have been inadvertently leaked in that screenshot.

Hahah :D

midas
March 26th, 2016, 15:24
I was going to say....

I'll be watching the store. :)

darrenan
April 3rd, 2016, 22:44

Is this new formatting documented anywhere yet? If there's a forum post somewhere I missed, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

damned
April 3rd, 2016, 23:14
No. Its not a public feature at this time.

ddavison
April 4th, 2016, 01:32
I'm still working on it. It's not quite ready yet and I will only have part of the week to attack it next week.

Skellan
April 4th, 2016, 02:02
Judging by how quickly the primeval Thule games at FG Con filled I reckon this will be popular

ddavison
April 4th, 2016, 02:06
I think so. I've been reading through it as I work and it looks really good. Lot's of opportunity for cool stuff for both players and the DM.

Thane
April 14th, 2016, 17:39
Do we have a ballpark on the Kickstarter effort as yet? Thanks David. I still am fond of you... :)

ddavison
April 14th, 2016, 19:11
Still working on it. It's taking me a bit longer to work through a few areas. It look amazing though. I can't wait until I get it finished the rest of the way and released.

phogan88
April 14th, 2016, 19:50
Still working on it. It's taking me a bit longer to work through a few areas. It look amazing though. I can't wait until I get it finished the rest of the way and released.

Can't wait!...ok, I can wait but I don't want to :D

pauljmendoza
April 14th, 2016, 20:13
Nice to hear!

Thane
April 14th, 2016, 22:17
With phogan88 on that one!

jsbrettsi
April 24th, 2016, 01:31
Hi everyone. I have already bought the 5ed thule campaign setting book and we are several sessions in to a game campaign at the moment. From the looks of the sneak peak screens there I'd much rather be using fantasy grounds, but in the mean time while waiting for Thule I have been using a competitor. I was hoping someone could tell me when to expect the primeval thule add-ons to be available in the FG shop. Also this would be the first thing i'd use FG for so I haven't yet picked up any add-ons at all just yet. Can anyone tell me which other FG add-ons would be useful along with Primeval Thule as 5th edition?

Zacchaeus
April 24th, 2016, 09:37
Hi jsbrettsi welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

You'll most likely want the Complete Core Class Pack (effectively the PHB) since that will give your players the most options when creating characters. I haven't got Thule so I don't know what it's all about, but the next most useful thing is the DMG and then the Monster Manual. But it all depends a bit on your budget and how you run your games and what you need. For example if you only run published adventures you probably don't need the MM or the DMG; if you make up your own stuff then you'll want it all.

kmfdm
April 24th, 2016, 17:44
Hi everyone. I have already bought the 5ed thule campaign setting book and we are several sessions in to a game campaign at the moment. From the looks of the sneak peak screens there I'd much rather be using fantasy grounds, but in the mean time while waiting for Thule I have been using a competitor. I was hoping someone could tell me when to expect the primeval thule add-ons to be available in the FG shop. Also this would be the first thing i'd use FG for so I haven't yet picked up any add-ons at all just yet. Can anyone tell me which other FG add-ons would be useful along with Primeval Thule as 5th edition?

I've been running a PT campaign for 7 months now and FG has been a blast, but it is an investment of $$$ and some time.
I got the Ultimate Upgrade since I will be DMing and that way no one else has to buy anything else.
PHB is a must.
You could just manually input monsters & magical items if you have the books already. It just takes some practice using the FG system (parser or in campaign)
If you dont have time but money, Monster Manual is great time saver and helps building encounters by CR.
The only reason to have the DMG is for the treasure & items, especially if you already have the book. So if you have time you could manually input what you need.

The Primeval Thule module just released an early access version, and it looks good.
Everything is there in easy to grab rules or in the reference library.
The only thing missing is the Narratives as easy drag-&-drop powers (which I hope gets added).

ddavison
April 24th, 2016, 19:30
I ended up re-releasing the module with narratives converted to backgrounds for drag-and-drop. Run an update and you should see this and an update that adds a Player View that can be shared with players.

pauljmendoza
April 25th, 2016, 00:02
Thank you so much for that, it made converting the players to FG much quicker.

epithet
April 25th, 2016, 01:31
Thanks for the Player View, that's a really nice benefit.

kmfdm
April 25th, 2016, 02:02
Yeah that Player View is super helpful.

Do you know if the add-ons (adventures, GM companion, Player companion) will be put into a FG module as well?

ddavison
April 25th, 2016, 02:11
We will be converting the companions and adventures as well. We don't have the files and haven't started the conversions yet, but we expect to start shortly.