PDA

View Full Version : The name of the future unity version

Thete
July 16th, 2015, 06:39
Does the upcoming Unity Version need a new name? I confess to disliking the 'Fantasy' bit of Fantasy Grounds as I like theme agnostic tools

Pointless why change a good thing
Fantasy Ground III
Virtual Grounds
See my post below for my preferred name...

Mask_of_winter
July 16th, 2015, 06:44
FG Next.

VenomousFiligree
July 16th, 2015, 06:48
I say keep it as Fantasy Grounds. It's a known product. We went from Fantasy Grounds 2 back to straight Fantasy Grounds for version 3, So I don't think it should be called Fantasy Grounds 3 when we hit version 4.

dulux-oz
July 16th, 2015, 07:12
The problem with changing the name of known entity is that, without a heavy marketing campaign, you loose valuable name-recognition - you loose the "brand".

Even with a name such as FG Next, what happens when the new version invariably comes out: FG Next-Next? FG Next 2? FG Next-And-Another-One?

Fantasy Grounds is a known, respected (sometimes cursed) and established "brand" - my MBA Marketing Lecturer would say that the cost of changing such a brand would far outweigh the potential benefits. As an example let's look at MS-Windows: we started out with Windows 3, then we went to (not in exact order) Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, then back to Windows 7, Windows 8 and now the soon to be released Windows 10.

Why this progression?

Windows 3 was a 16 bit program, while Windows 95 was a 32-bit program, hence there is some justification in the name change. But by the time we get back to Windows 7 the "shine" of the previous named versions had tarnished, it it made better marketing sense to go back to the simple numbered versioning system. The only reason we're jumping from 8 to 10 is the perceived confusion between 95/98 and 9.

Other examples fit this idea nicely: Adobe Acrobat, OmniPage, Dragon Naturally Speaking - the list is near endless. And these products all have "gravitas" by having large version numbers and therefore having been around for awhile.

For what its worth my professional opinion is leave it as Fantasy Grounds (v4.x - if necessary) - you'll have less headaches in the long run.

Cheers

damned
July 16th, 2015, 07:20
The only reason we're jumping from 8 to 10 is the perceived confusion between 95/98 and 9.

i believe it is actually because quite a lot of software used to only check as far as the 9 in checking if the Windows was 95 or 98...
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=windows%2095%2098%2010%20reason

dulux-oz
July 16th, 2015, 08:04
i believe it is actually because quite a lot of software used to only check as far as the 9 in checking if the Windows was 95 or 98...
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=windows%2095%2098%2010%20reason

Yeah, that's what I was inferring/implying :p

Zacchaeus
July 16th, 2015, 10:03
What's a "theme agnostic tool"?

Mellock
July 16th, 2015, 10:08
Just that it doesn't do one thing in particular, that you can play fantasy as well as horror, sci-fi, pulp, western,...

Thete
July 16th, 2015, 11:10
What's a "theme agnostic tool"?

A term I made up while writing the post. Switch the term 'theme' for 'genre' perhaps. Fantasy is awesome when playing fantasy but I'd a more neutral name and look.

dulux-oz
July 16th, 2015, 11:13
Fantasy is awesome when playing fantasy but I'd a more neutral name and look.

Personally I prefer a Lawful Evil one :p

<ducks for cover />

Thete
July 16th, 2015, 11:26
;) I was going to put 'THE D&D TABLETOP' (Caps all day no AFK) as a vote option. Too much?
I pretty much agree with the brand value of the current name but if Unity really opens up the feature set for the developers, I'm interested to see how they convey that to the uninitiated.

Zacchaeus
July 16th, 2015, 11:33
A term I made up while writing the post. Switch the term 'theme' for 'genre' perhaps. Fantasy is awesome when playing fantasy but I'd a more neutral name and look.

It's the agnostic bit I had trouble with. I couldn't understand why you equated Fantasy with a non commitment to a religious belief system. And I'm not convinced that the word Fantasy doesn't encompass the other genres that you mentioned. None of them are real, so fantasy pretty much sums them all up to a greater or lesser degree. I think also Fantasy is more evocative of the kind of games that FG supports. Virtual doesn't conjure up the same kind of images in my mind at all.

I'm with the majority of posters, so far. I think changing the name would not be beneficial and indeed could be detrimental to sales. It's like when they changed Marathon bars to Snickers bars - what the hell was all that about? Anyway, I can't see any particular reason to change the name at all. If it was absolutely needed then add a numeral, otherwise I think it can sail on regardless.

Nylanfs
July 16th, 2015, 12:11
Is what we are playing real? If not then it's fantasy. ;P

bnickelsen
July 16th, 2015, 14:06
"Almost What you wanted"

Trenloe
July 16th, 2015, 16:38
"Role-play machine"!!! ;)

Just posting something to stop everyone seeing the previous almost-positive comment every time someone votes. :)

bnickelsen
July 16th, 2015, 16:48
"Role-play machine"!!! ;)

Just posting something to stop everyone seeing the previous almost-positive comment every time someone votes. :)

It was intended to be funny.:D

Moon Wizard
July 16th, 2015, 21:06
I just call it Unicorn, because..you know.. unity and mythical. :) It was my joke with Doug, and it stuck.

JPG

Valarian
July 16th, 2015, 21:09
Coloured themes could make it a pink unicorn.

Xorn
July 16th, 2015, 22:50
Just as 5E D&D just went back to "Dungeons & Dragons" I love that FG3 just went back to "Fantasy Grounds". Don't change it.

Trenloe
July 16th, 2015, 22:52
Just as 5E D&D just went back to "Dungeons & Dragons" I love that FG3 just went back to "Fantasy Grounds". Don't change it.
Hear, hear.

damned
July 17th, 2015, 02:33
From the screen shots that we have seen the interface initially is designed to carry over the current look and feel.
I doubt that there will be a name change with the new platform.
The new platform is intended to allow much more behind the scenes development rather than a reworking of the interface.
This will also hopefully allow for alternate interfaces such as those for tablets but from the current info that is available those things will happen in time, in turn, at a later date.

Mgrancey
July 17th, 2015, 03:04
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fantasy

Nylanfs
July 17th, 2015, 11:26
Yes, but they also spell colour wrong so how trustworthy can they be?

jasonthelamb
July 17th, 2015, 11:32
I guess I was never here for Fantasy Grounds I, but I'd think a major change could warrant an update to Fantasy Grounds III - but... it's all the same to me :P

dulux-oz
July 17th, 2015, 11:46
I guess I was never here for Fantasy Grounds I, but I'd think a major change could warrant an update to Fantasy Grounds III - but... it's all the same to me :P

Yeah, but its already v3, so I think you mean Fantasy Grounds IV

Andraax
July 17th, 2015, 12:47
Yes, but they also spell colour wrong so how trustworthy can they be?

Just because the British want to appease the French by using a Frenchified spelling of the word doesn't mean that Americans have to do so...

:-)

Thete
July 17th, 2015, 13:21

Narr I meant Fantasy Ground One Hundred & Eleven!!
I should have added FG4 to the Poll, my bad.

How about 'Fantasy Grounds Unity Four' then I can say I'm playing Wufrup 'n Fguf.

Seriously, though, the poll is pretty clear :D

dulux-oz
July 17th, 2015, 13:57
Just because the British want to appease the French by using a Frenchified spelling of the word doesn't mean that Americans have to do so...

:-)

Actually, historically, most of the... incorrect... spelling used by our American Cousins can be traced to the laziness of one Mr. Webster (of dictionary fame) and his incorrect belief that this was making things "better". If anyone were to follow the French in their spelling it would be the citizens of the newly independent colonies who had received help from the French during their rebellion - sorry - war of independence.

Mind you, the British don't have it right either - all right-thinking, educated members of the world realise (even if they don't admit it, even to themselves) that the best, most correct and fundamentally "right" way to spell the "mother tongue" is the evolved Australian way!

:p

Trenloe
July 17th, 2015, 16:03
the evolved Australian way!
Yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXF6E0tfET0

jasonthelamb
July 17th, 2015, 17:19

I thought its Fantasy Grounds II v 3.1.1

damned
July 18th, 2015, 00:01
I thought its Fantasy Grounds II v 3.1.1

it hasnt been fantasy ground 2 for about 2 years...

dulux-oz
July 18th, 2015, 01:25
Yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXF6E0tfET0

Yeah, but that's speaking Aussie - I was talking about spelling English (British, American or Australian)

And spelling Aussie is different from spelling Australian English!

(But I did like the vid :) )

Mavrik6666
July 24th, 2015, 08:37
will there be two options ?... FG Original... or FG Unity ... if not then its just FG with a version number to donate release v5.1 ? if you can play the FG that's current or the FG based on unity, then they need different identifiers FG II or FG III etc, otherwise you will bet confused when someone says lets play using FG

damned
July 25th, 2015, 13:23
will there be two options ?... FG Original... or FG Unity ... if not then its just FG with a version number to donate release v5.1 ? if you can play the FG that's current or the FG based on unity, then they need different identifiers FG II or FG III etc, otherwise you will bet confused when someone says lets play using FG

this ^ could be a possibility. for the first time there could be an upgrade fee to move to the next platform and if so you would likely end up with the current FG3 version which would likely receive no further updates and the new version.... in that case you probably would need to bring back a version name... advertising as Fantasy Grounds would be fine but you probably would need to add a version number to either the old or the new release...

leozelig
September 1st, 2015, 01:56
Are we going to put this thread to rest one of these days? I think every time someone votes in the poll, this thread is added to the new posts. It's getting a little annoying :)

dulux-oz
September 1st, 2015, 03:36
Are we going to put this thread to rest one of these days? I think every time someone votes in the poll, this thread is added to the new posts. It's getting a little annoying :)

Yeah, I think its time we closed this.