PDA

View Full Version : Blank db.xml file and database backup was an older version :(

FSHSchmo
July 16th, 2015, 05:04
So tonight I had FG up, getting ready to run a game and was having mic issues. While taking my cover off I hit my PC reset button. When I restarted FG I got an error on line 0 error when I click on the "load campaign" option. I went and looked at the db.xml file in that campaign and it had a bunch of "null" entries and no data. I tried to rename one of the backups from last month but when I would load into the campaign it did not recognize the version of D&D and defaulted to 3.5 (we are playing 5e). My question is, can I repair the corrupted db.xml file or should I create another campaign and just copy everything (except the db.xml and backup files) over to the new campaign? If I do this will I have all my data from the other campaign?

damned
July 16th, 2015, 07:22
if you have backups of your campaign directory (i usually zip them up) you can just copy that back in to your campaign directory.

Trenloe
July 16th, 2015, 15:23
The best you can do is revert to a copy of db.backup.XXXXXXXXX.xml in your campaign directory. This should work as long as you just change this file within the same directory.

With Fantasy Grounds not running (closed):

Make a copy of the whole campaign directory - call the new directory something like "<original campaign name> recovery" (change <original campaign name> to the name of your campaign). This is a backup so you can try a few different methods of getting some of your data back.
Working in the copied campaign directory, rename db.xml to db.xml.orig (or something similar).
Rename the most recent db.backup.XXXXXXXXX.xml to db.xml.
Start Fantasy Grounds and start your copied "<original campaign name> recovery" campaign.

Moon Wizard
July 16th, 2015, 21:05
When a db.restore.xml is found when starting campaign, FG assumes there was an unexpected shutdown of PC or FG. This file will be saved as db.backup.####.xml. This data should reflect the campaign from the time FG was running during the unexpected shutdown.

Regards,
JPG