PDA

View Full Version : Magical items and the item menu

Togainu
July 14th, 2015, 22:20
I am trying to create a magical item for the example here I will be using a +1 frost dagger. What I currently am doing is something that looks along the lines of the "item" attachment (the first one).
The end result I am trying to create is what appears in the "weapon" attachement (the second one).

However the way as shown in the picture doesn't get me the end result as I would like it. Instead it creates one damage field as follows 1d6+1d4+1 without any types.

I kinda suspect this currently isn't implemented but I thought I would ask just in case I might be missing something

Moon Wizard
July 14th, 2015, 23:14
Technically, the effect can be turned on and off, so would possibly be an effect. However, most people just assume always on, and would like to see damage just added on.

The ability to add the extra damage dice/type for flaming and frost weapons is actually fairly recent, so the reference item record does not have the support for this. The item record would have to be changed to have a single damage field that combined all the damage dice/modifiers/types, similar to how 5E now implements. And all the reference modules (both in the store and in the community would need to be updated). It's actually quite a lot of backward compatibility work, so it will need to be queued up like other requests. See wish list in my sig.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
July 14th, 2015, 23:26
In the first image, I would think the damage types have to be separated by a common ',' and the damage dice have to be separated by a plus '+'. Of course that would blend the damage together instead of keeping the dice separate.

In the second image, which seems more appropriate, the damage type is 'cold' not 'frost'. If FG doesn't recognize the damage type, then it just leaves it blank and uses 'untyped'.

Togainu
July 14th, 2015, 23:39
@Nickademus
As I said along the lines I was just quick remaking the item I was trying to make to have screenshots of the intention. The reason I am using ; here is because I am trying to (portait/) make it a separate damage entry in the weapon. By using the + it will all go in one damage entry and using the , for the type it will all put it as one damage entry. Making the normal daggers damage cold as well.

@Moon Wizard
Thank you for the reply Moon Wizard. I officially saw your first reply so a bit sad to see it was more intensive than you expected but I can understand the reasoning behind it.
However I do slightly wonder why we would take 1 combined field for dice/mod/types. Just a thought that we could separate the dice using ";" and the same for types.

This should be allowing the old material to function while expanding towards the added feature.
in which case the damage field could look something a long the lines of 1d4; 1d6
with a corresponding type field of piercing, slashing; cold
Making every ; start a new damage entry

This however is just a side thought of myself and without knowing further implementation in it's current state

Moon Wizard
July 15th, 2015, 00:12
That might be a possibility, though I've been chided by the community a few times in the past about how fields like that (ie with formatting that adjusts rules automation) are esoteric and not well documented.

One of the curses of having an organically growing rules system I suppose.

Regards,
JPG

Togainu
July 15th, 2015, 00:54
Well I will leave the choice up to you and the rest of the developers. Thank you for at least considering it all Moon Wizard :)

Moon Wizard
July 15th, 2015, 02:11
I might just do it anyways, if it's easy enough. "Extra" hidden features are generally okay, just get me a little flak from time to time. ;)

JPG

Togainu
July 15th, 2015, 19:04
Developers are always under fire Moon I am sure you know that as well as our fellow developers do. But if you are willing to do this I would greatly appreciate it