PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames or notes for Connections

thomasdarkrose
July 13th, 2015, 23:02
I tried looking on the forums for a topic like this but couldn't find it, if I missed it I apologize.

The basic idea is pretty simple. I think a lot of players who use FG to play multiple games would like the ability to give nicknames to their connections. Yes we have username but that's usually reserved for a players real name, at least for me it is. And we have aliases but if you only log into it once a week it can be a bit hard to remember which one is for which game. It gets a lot harder when you're forced to use an IP address in the case of using something like Hamachi to connect, forgive my feeble memory but I can't remember which IP address goes to which game. So I thought it might be a nice, simple, easy to add feature for players to be able to add a nick name or note to the game like "Friday Night Game" or "3.5e game with Jerry". Something simple to help people playing in multiple games to keep track of which alias or IP goes to which game.

I thought this might be a good feature for us players. But I welcome the opinions of others. Just be gentle. :D

Nylanfs
July 13th, 2015, 23:54
That would be a good feature, as long as you can update the IP address for the nickname.

Nickademus
July 14th, 2015, 00:06
Add it to the wishlist. People will vote on it. It might happen.

thomasdarkrose
July 14th, 2015, 00:09
I'd be happy to! If I had a clue as to where the wishlist is. Sorry, still relatively new to all things FG.

Trenloe
July 14th, 2015, 00:19
Some players use a different player name when they connect, e.g. Trenloe LMoP to remind them which session the alias is for. Be careful with this, as changing the player name mid campaign will lose access to things that are linked to the player name - notes being the main one, individually shared entries. PCs as well, but the GM can release that assignment.

thomasdarkrose
July 14th, 2015, 00:21
Right, but having a 3rd field that you could type a reminder note into would be nice, then you could change it as needed to keep reminders for yourself. For example, if your game changes from week to week because of a DM with a mean work schedule you can keep track of which day the game will be in the note "Next game Fri @ 7PM". No need to have the GM/DM release anything then. Everybody wins!