PDA

View Full Version : TUCS for CoreRPG - any devs interested?

dr_venture
July 13th, 2015, 18:32
I'm kinda obsessed with this system of combat - I saw it listed a few years back, and I think it'd not only be a great way to make round-based combat a lot less, well, "round-based". I also think it'd be a great fit with FG, and and would go a long way towards keeping players involved during combat, rather than taking their turn, then disappearing for a while, knowing that they're done for a while (which is true, of course, and another reason to make the whole "round" thing a bit less predictably cyclical).

Here's what I'm referring to:

https://acornheads.com/other/TUCS%20-%20Time%20Unit%20Combat%20System.html

I know this is an extreme long shot, but if you don't know if you don't ask: is there any dev out there that might be interested in making a CoreRPG extension for this? As I see it, the extension would need to:

Remove the "next player" button.
Make the button which increments rounds into a simple 'count up' button.
Add a "prepared action" field where the combatant would list the action they are waiting to take.
Make rolled INIT equal to the die roll plus mods plus the current "round" counter.
Select the current combatant when the round counter matches their "Init" (i.e., when they can take their action). The chat window would display the usual info, as well as the "prepared action" field, telling everyone what that combatant is going to do.
Make effects have their own INITS and expire based on when the round counter matches their INITs.
Add some standard roll modifiers to account for the system 's built in INIT roll mods.

I think that's most of it... I'm sure there are some details I'm missing. This seems like a pretty reasonable extension to pull off.

Any comments or interest? Not that my schedule allows me to run a game right now, but it's nice to dream...

Griogre
July 16th, 2015, 22:27
My only comment is that the fastest way to speed up and make each round's combat sequence unpredictable is to roll group initiative at the start of each round to see whether the party or NPCs go first that round (similar to AD&D). As a long time player/DM the one thing that slows combat the most is individual initiatives.