PDA

View Full Version : New to Fantasy grounds, wanting to make a 'Concentration Fail' effect

Grayfigure
July 13th, 2015, 17:57
Hi all! Loving Fantasy Grounds and its ability to automate your gaming experience. Ran into a small snafu with a friend of mine working out a cleric. We're trying to automate Shield of Faith using custom effects. We've figured out how to make a custom effect that can add the 2 AC to his armor class, but we've run into trouble on forcing it to end. I haven't figured out how to, with the tools at my disposal, END the effect if someone gets through his AC and he fails his CON check. It got me thinking of other possible effects such as that, and how easy it would be to have a Concentration button. So I hit up the effects Wiki and picked up some really cool information, but I've run into a stumbling block:

I see that using the IF/IFT switch might provide me what I need, but I'm having trouble 'sentencing' it, I guess you could say (has always had problems with command strings).

What I'd like to do is have a Concentration button taht, when pressed, automagically rolls a half damage/constitution saving throw (whichever's higher) and, upon a failing throw, deactivate the condition its attached to. I figure attaching it on a effect by effect basis would be easier than trying to make a catch all button, due to the fact that the half dam caveat would change from damage source to damage source.

That's about as far as I got.......

If anyone can lend me any support/insight/inspiration/answered prayers, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Trenloe
July 13th, 2015, 18:04
I see that using the IF/IFT switch might provide me what I need, but I'm having trouble 'sentencing' it, I guess you could say (has always had problems with command strings).
Conditional effects (IF/IFT) aren't standard boolean logic expressions. They are only used to see if either the base creature (IF) or the target (IFT) has a specific FG valid condition, e.g. the "Blinded" condition.

There's not an automatic way to do what you want, without writing an extension to add a button to the ruleset and then do all of the coding in the background. This would be a lot of work - both to write in the first place and to keep it up to date with future FG releases.

Just manually remove the Shield of Faith effect when required.

Grayfigure
July 13th, 2015, 21:49
I see. Rats and ah well :p
Thanks for the reply. Only other thing I can think to try is see if there is an effects end switch. (Would be useful in mage armor/armor of Shadows situations.)

Trenloe
July 14th, 2015, 00:15
I see. Rats and ah well :p
Thanks for the reply. Only other thing I can think to try is see if there is an effects end switch. (Would be useful in mage armor/armor of Shadows situations.)
Four ways to end an effect:

Set a duration when you add it to the CT.
GM sets it to "Off".
GM removes it. Or the player removes it if the Player Effect Removal extension is enabled (depending which ruleset you're using this may, or may not, be available).
You're using conditional effects and the condition that the effect relies on is removed/ends.

Grayfigure
July 14th, 2015, 00:21
Understood about 1,2, and 4. Got those figured out to one degree or another. Will do a bit of research on 3 for the 5e ruleset. Thanks for the help!

Grayfigure
July 14th, 2015, 01:12
That.....looks......PERFECT!! Will download and experiment when I'm at my 9th next. Thanks again!