PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers Needed - Gen Con Bearded Booth Babes please apply (beards optional)

ddavison
July 13th, 2015, 16:03
We are looking for some volunteers to help man the booth and possibly help with set up for Gen Con this year. We would need a commitment of 8 hours minimum, but 16 or 24 hours preferred during the vendor area time slots.

We are looking for people who...

have experience with Fantasy Grounds as a GM
are familiar with Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition and the fifth edition ruleset
are comfortable pitching FG to potential customers
have experience with multiple game systems
are knowledgeable on other current VTTs and pros and cons versus FG
are capable of standing for long periods of time
are well groomed and neat in appearance
like to have fun

Our pitch mostly involves showing off FG on laptops and connected TVs which will be provided and answering questions that the users have. You'll find that you repeat the same items over and over and have a few variants by the time the con is over.

In exchange, you will receive

a vendor level badge that lets you into the convention for all 4 days and into the vendor area before the VIGs
an opportunity to see Gen Con behind the scenes
a SmiteWorks shirt (or several if you commit to additional hours)
a $25 per diem for food (for each 8 hours committed)
$10 in event tickets for each 8 hours committed
Free Fantasy Grounds digital swag
the ability to hang out with Doug and John from SmiteWorks both during the show and possibly afterwards
hotel rooms may be available, but you would likely get roomed with another volunteer

Travel to the event and lodging (* 1 room might be available for volunteers who can commit to a full schedule) will be at your own expense.

If interested, please send a brief intro, what rulesets you know well, your contract information and dates you'd be willing to volunteer to [email protected]. If you have any short videos of you showing Fantasy Grounds or running Fantasy Grounds, these would be great to send along. Also, references from players you have GM'd (in person or over Fantasy Grounds) would be helpful.

Nylanfs
July 13th, 2015, 16:38
One thing that works for us when PCGen has a booth is having a break in the volunteer's time. They could work 8 hours but it could be 4 hours one day and 4 hours the next.

ddavison
July 13th, 2015, 16:39
That's a good idea. We would be flexible like that.

kylania
July 13th, 2015, 16:54
Aww man, I would love to do that but can't get away from work (blowing all my vacation time on DragonCon this year). GenCon as a vendor is super fun, I got to go with CCP twice. If you can make this do it. You'll love the experience.

Trenloe
July 13th, 2015, 16:58
I can't do a volunteer slot as I already have most of my time committed to doing stuff for Paizo. But, I'll come and hang out for a while like I did a couple of years ago. Looking forward to seeing you all again and meeting some folks I haven't seen in the flesh! :)

poppy_thompson
July 13th, 2015, 17:27
I would love to do it. I am local, but I wouldn't be able to get away from work. Either way, I hope to see you guys on Sunday at least.

ddavison
July 13th, 2015, 18:33
We would love to see people stop by and say hello. If you've stopped by in the past, you know that we sometimes get stuck in non-stop demo mode. We will chat as much as we can though. :)

poppy_thompson
July 13th, 2015, 18:59
Whoa ... you mean to tell me you won't drop everything and speak with me directly?! With Gen Con being the smallest gaming convention in the world, what have I spent my money on? (obviously joking.)

To be honest, I hope I can't even get to the both due to the large crowds. Have a great convention!

ddavison
July 13th, 2015, 19:24
On Sunday, we might talk to you but you may not be able to hear us because our voices are all shot from doing constant demos. :)

kylania
July 13th, 2015, 19:31
Plenty of water! If you go to talk to them, bring chilled bottled water. :)

Nylanfs
July 13th, 2015, 21:08
Believe me, after four days of talking to or at 40k people nothing helps. :-)

BTW Doug, ive found that Docucopies.com is a good place to get flyers cheap.

ddavison
July 13th, 2015, 21:23
Thanks for the tip. I've been using OvernightPrint.com and have been very happy with them in the past. I've also used VistaPrint and found them to be decent. I will take a look at Docucopies too, though.

Does anyone know of a good place to rent a projector and screen setup near Indy? We have an event on Saturday night where we will need to show off a video for about 15-30 minutes in front of a crowd of Savage Worlds folks. I'm toying with the idea of renting something instead of disconnecting and using my home theater projector and trying to find a stand for an older business pull down screen I have.

By the way, this is an advance notice that we'll be showing off something very cool (I think) at this panel this year. Tickets to the seminar are required, but free. At this time there are roughly 70 tickets still remaining.
https://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2015.cgi/event/SEM1575666

It is looking like the announcement and video will actually be occurring at the following seminar in the room next to the first seminar:
https://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2015.cgi/event/SEM1575984

Mask_of_winter
July 13th, 2015, 21:27
Thanks for the tip. I've been using OvernightPrint.com and have been very happy with them in the past. I've also used VistaPrint and found them to be decent. I will take a look at Docucopies too, though.

Does anyone know of a good place to rent a projector and screen setup near Indy? We have an event on Saturday night where we will need to show off a video for about 15-30 minutes in front of a crowd of Savage Worlds folks. I'm toying with the idea of renting something instead of disconnecting and using my home theater projector and trying to find a stand for an older business pull down screen I have.

By the way, this is an advance notice that we'll be showing off something very cool (I think) at this panel this year. Tickets to the seminar are required, but free. At this time there are roughly 70 tickets still remaining.

Something very cool concerning Savage Worlds and Fantasy Grounds? :D

ddavison
July 13th, 2015, 21:39
The news is actually Savage Worlds and SmiteWorks related more-so than Fantasy Grounds related. It's going to catch people by surprise.

* I just updated the post above about the seminar where the video will be shown. It will be announced in the first seminar and shown in the 2nd.

It is looking like the announcement and video will actually be occurring at the following seminar in the room next to the first seminar:

Mask_of_winter
July 13th, 2015, 21:42
The news is actually Savage Worlds and SmiteWorks related more-so than Fantasy Grounds related. It's going to catch people by surprise.
Somewhere along the lines of the Deadlands Noir novel I suppose? Either way, I look forward to reading about the announcement. Too bad I couldn't make it to GenCon this year.

ddavison
July 13th, 2015, 21:49
No, we are still working on the Deadlands Noir novel since it needs a little love at the moment. This is something different entirely and larger in scale.

JeffKnight
July 14th, 2015, 07:25
I can stop by and give a helping hand while I'm not DM'ing for the Adventures League.

VenomousFiligree
July 14th, 2015, 12:44
Throw in a flight from the UK and I'll help! :)

No, we are still working on the Deadlands Noir novel since it needs a little love at the moment. This is something different entirely and larger in scale.

Savage Worlds CRPG!?

dulux-oz
July 14th, 2015, 13:13
Throw in a flight from the UK and I'll help! :)

Ditto from Oz :p

MadBadHare
July 14th, 2015, 21:12
Yep just checked flights from San Diego - Not gonna happen this year. I would of gladly helped all four days if I had some more notice so the flight wasn't so last minute. Perhaps next year with a bit more notice ?

ddavison
July 15th, 2015, 00:47
I can stop by and give a helping hand while I'm not DM'ing for the Adventures League.

Cool. Shoot me your shirt size to [email protected] so I can order an extra one.

Nylanfs
July 15th, 2015, 01:59
BTW don't forget to mention the booze soaked party with strippers (male and female). :)

jshauber
July 15th, 2015, 22:09
BTW don't forget to mention the booze soaked party with strippers (male and female). :)

DAMMIT, AS Senior Bearded Booth Babe from last year who was organizing it, this was going to be a surprise for all the noobs, now you ruined it.

Calling now to cancel everything...

mghauber
July 17th, 2015, 12:04
Schedule permitting, I hope to be out Friday, Sat, and Sun. Happy to help however I can.

crb31
July 18th, 2015, 15:51
ARgh! Another reason for me to try to move to a more populous place!!! Or at least try and go to Gen Con...

ddavison
July 18th, 2015, 16:42
Thanks everyone. Stop by and say hello if you are in the area.

ddavison
July 24th, 2015, 20:12

Okay, so plans have changed a bit. I will still be talking at these panels, but not announcing anything new yet. We are going to hold that announcement for a later date. Instead, I'm going to take an opportunity to show off the Savage Worlds ruleset in Fantasy Grounds. It will be a super short taste since we only have about 15 minutes, but it should bring a wave of new folks over to check out Fantasy Grounds.

damned
July 25th, 2015, 04:04
Okay, so plans have changed a bit. I will still be talking at these panels, but not announcing anything new yet. We are going to hold that announcement for a later date. Instead, I'm going to take an opportunity to show off the Savage Worlds ruleset in Fantasy Grounds. It will be a super short taste since we only have about 15 minutes, but it should bring a wave of new folks over to check out Fantasy Grounds.

Cool - spread the other game love!
Savage Worlds on Fantasy Grounds rocks.

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2015, 21:42
Nice to see the bearded booth babes again this year. Although two didn't have beards...

Thanks for letting me hang out and pick your brains. :)

poppy_thompson
August 3rd, 2015, 01:36
Just woke up from my after Gen Con slumber. It was great to stop by and pick ddavison's brain. Doug was actually kind enough to help my son with a chair in the lobby! Thanks.

Have a safe trip back home. I hope to be able to join the Bearded Booth Babes next year.

MAT

mghauber
August 3rd, 2015, 03:37
Nice to see the bearded booth babes again this year. Although two didn't have beards...

Thanks for letting me hang out and pick your brains. :)

Well....true......but I was sporting some awful sexy peach fuzz!!!!! Great to meet Paul, Doug, and Martin and thanks for your hospitality at the booth. Looking forward to next year already!

hawkwind
August 3rd, 2015, 17:40
server up

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2015, 18:57
Oh, no! We now have a bearded booth babes campaign starting.

Run away!!!

:o

jh79
August 4th, 2015, 14:20
Great to see the Fantasy Grounds booth up. We passed by there and stood, but there were way too many people in front of us and all the guys were heavily engaged in conversation. Was elated to see all the interest, will be great for our community, well done guys!

Nylanfs
August 4th, 2015, 15:34
I wish they would have had a video going the entire con, that would be interesting to watch. :)

kylania
August 4th, 2015, 15:50
I wish they would have had a video going the entire con, that would be interesting to watch. :)

Indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZcmTl_1ER8

jshauber
August 4th, 2015, 16:55
We discussed a way to have a live game going next year at the booth. Someone can run as GM on a big screen and have some players connected via a router in booth on another large screen that people can watch the action as it happens. I could run an entire campaign over the 4 days that way or we could rotate systems and have a schedule of events so if someone really wanted to see Savage Worlds that game runs from 12-2 and then pathfinder from 2-4, etc. There would still be at least one screen for the guys to run demos on like usual.

Lots of details to work out but it has been discussed.

Trenloe
August 4th, 2015, 16:59
We discussed a way to have a live game going next year at the booth. Someone can run as GM on a big screen and have some players connected via a router in booth on another large screen that people can watch the action as it happens. I could run an entire campaign over the 4 days that way or we could rotate systems and have a schedule of events so if someone really wanted to see Savage Worlds that game runs from 12-2 and then pathfinder from 2-4, etc. There would still be at least one screen for the guys to run demos on like usual.

Lots of details to work out but it has been discussed.
Thinking on that. Doing short, system specific scenarios could work quite well - tell people "Come back between 2-4 to see Savage Worlds in action". The issue with this is that you'll then get lots of people hanging around, so the stall will need more people standing space to accommodate.

jshauber
August 4th, 2015, 17:03
Thinking on that. Doing short, system specific scenarios could work quite well - tell people "Come back between 2-4 to see Savage Worlds in action". The issue with this is that you'll then get lots of people hanging around, so the stall will need more people standing space to accommodate.

Like I said, lots of details to be worked out. Another option is to run sessions at remote locations and send people over but how many will be ADHD and get distracted on the way.

Mask_of_winter
August 4th, 2015, 17:06
Encounters even. Having been to the Hall and seen how crazy and loud it was I doubt anybody would want to stay in one spot for hours. There's so much to see at GenCon. You've got less than 5 mins to get someone to buy your product because there's plenty of shiny stuff and it's usually the next booth over.
RPGs are fun to play but unless it's Wil Wheaton or something with pros and high production values it's boring to watch others play. The goal is to show what FG can do and you don't need a 4 hours session to demonstrate that.

jshauber
August 4th, 2015, 17:09
Encounters even. Having been to the Hall and seen how crazy and loud it was I doubt anybody would want to stay in one spot for hours. There's so much to see at GenCon. You've got less than 5 mins to get someone to buy your product because there's plenty of shiny stuff and it's usually the next booth over.
RPGs are fun to play but unless it's Wil Wheaton or something with pros and high production values it's boring to watch others play. The goal is to show what FG can do and you don't need a 4 hours session to demonstrate that.

The thought was be running a dungeon crawl so that the action is nearly continuous. This way, anyone that walks up can see the system in action without having to wait for 20 minutes for something to happen.

Griogre
August 4th, 2015, 17:12
You could just run one live game in the booth, but before the Con get some recordings of a games using different rulesets that could be run in a loop at scheduled times. Guys in the booth could just explain what's going on if there were questions. You might need to get some cheap headsets if you were running a recorded game and a live one at the same time.

ddavison
August 4th, 2015, 18:25

I agree. Targeted demos where you can answer a direct question per group of folks seems like the best use of time to me. That's basically what we do now and it seems to work.