PDA

View Full Version : Adding to Official Content

Mirloc
July 13th, 2015, 11:03
So I am going to shake the money tree and get the 5e stuff, but I wanted to ask how can I add to the core content (like making my own player pack).

I know I can create the info and export it to a module, but I'm drawing a huge blank on the drag and drop.

David

Nylanfs
July 13th, 2015, 11:21
I believe that is Lua and or XML editing.

Zacchaeus
July 13th, 2015, 13:05
If I understand you correctly (and that is a bit if :)) you want to create another class or race which isn't part of any official content? If that is the case then I think some scripting knowledge would be required. You can't create a new class from within Fantasy Grounds; nor can you alter one of the existing ones. I don't know if you could create a new one using par5e (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18123-Project-Par5e), but someone will know.

Mirloc
July 13th, 2015, 13:26
Well hell, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. If I read the Par5e documents I can do it in Par5e, but it means manually doing the initial txt files.

Ah well, I guess it give me something to do while I flesh out the world. ;)

GunnarGreybeard
July 13th, 2015, 14:03
With Par5e you can pretty mush create anything for 5e like races, classes, etc BUT you would have to create them in your own mod, they wouldn't be added to the official 5e Modules.

Check my pHârn thread at My pHârn D&D 5e Project (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22984-My-pH%E2rn-D-amp-D-5e-Project)

Xorn
July 13th, 2015, 20:13
Just make a custom PHB module with PAR5E and build your custom classes, races, feats, spells, etc there.

GunnarGreybeard
July 13th, 2015, 20:32
Well hell, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. If I read the Par5e documents I can do it in Par5e, but it means manually doing the initial txt files.
What I did was set up templates for my homebrew using Scrivener and where the custom data goes, I added placeholders (in a kinda pink color so they stand out on the screen). The I make copies of the template and edit it for the class, race, etc, of whatever I am building. :-)

Like this . .

Griogre
July 13th, 2015, 21:11

Ah well, I guess it give me something to do while I flesh out the world. ;)

Some free advise - take it for what it is worth ;) - if you are ready to go with a campaign don't be stopped by this type of thing. It is easy to type in this type of thing *manually* on the character sheet and the player only has to do this at 1st level when the character levels. IE not very often and not very much and you can afford to treat it just like you would in a face to face game where you have not gone out and physically had a book printed up so you can distribute it to your players.

brautigan1
July 16th, 2015, 17:53
I'd take Griogre's advice if I were you. If you want to make a few extra homebrew class/race choices available in your campaign, write up all the info on those classes/races and email the info out, or have the info available via Notes in-game. Then just type everything in manually in-game. You can even write up a list of custom spells, equipment, etc. That is going to be way more time-efficient than delving into XML stuff.

Mirloc
July 17th, 2015, 04:14
I've spent some time working with Par5e, and I am getting the hang of it. There are a few gotchas, but nothing I haven't found a way around yet.