PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to handle tokens in FG for making modules?

WansumBeats
July 12th, 2015, 23:53
campaign 1 is where im making a module called city of danger.

campaign 2 is where i want to play said module.

been working on this for a week and i keep changing stuff around...

problem is sometimes when i come back to work.. i cant access the tokens.. or they arent placed on the map anymore... im getting script errors because of it.

is there a simple way to deal with tokens?

ive recently created token modules... i have one for DUNGEON FLUFF like chairs, traps, books, doors ect... one for NPCS and one for MONSTERS.

Im simply trying to export a module where i dont have to open other libraries to access the material... seems it would be simple... but im having issues left right and center.

most likely cause im missing something.

I also cant seem to copy NPCs from my PAR5E MM into the city of danger and then access them when i export.

I actually prefer making modules inside FG, but the program is just screwing me when it comes to tokens and NPCs.

Im wondering if i could make certain parts of the module like NPCs and tokens in PAR5e so i can copy and paste the entries out of MM and then open the module up in FG and enter in the story info...

havent come up with a decent solution yet

thanks for any help

damned
July 13th, 2015, 00:49
Hi WansumBeats. Im not sure exactly what challenges you are having?

When I prep an export adventure/module/campaign I do the following:

1. Create a blank campaign just for the prep work.
2. Set up Story and Images as normal.
3. Set up Encounters correctly - see links below
4. Run the /export command
4a. I dont know if this is necessary any more but you can add the tokens to the Token export as well just in case
5. Open new module in game campaign

See these links in case they help.
NPCs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9U0MuWEzGI&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKUrEd85Dqr6UcaaLvD7YlJd&index=4
Tokens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjtnAhWkaSQ&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKUrEd85Dqr6UcaaLvD7YlJd&index=5
Encounters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7CtPsdNbA&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKUrEd85Dqr6UcaaLvD7YlJd&index=6
Campaign Management https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on-pnFSMKz0&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKUrEd85Dqr6UcaaLvD7YlJd&index=12

WansumBeats
July 13th, 2015, 05:37
ok so i just seem to be not understanding the rules i guess...

not sure what i did.. but i now have all the maps and npcs and tokens showing up in the exported module... everything seems to be in order.

the npcs were showing up locked... now they are unlocked... tokens would dissapear from npcs in the new campaign. the npcs would loose there place on the maps, ive lost the pins on the maps... everything that could go wrong seems to have gone wrong and i dont know how i fixed it.

ugh.

ok lets start with one question.

i have two Monster manuals... one i made with par5e the other i bought from the store.

both modules show up with a RED LOCK icon when i look at NPC sheets.... how do i unlock them? im gonna try creating a new campaign and draggin the npc into the new campiagn and see what happens

WansumBeats
July 13th, 2015, 05:48
see this is the stuff i dont get.... in the campaign that im using the create city of danger... i have about 25 tokens... some are NPCS others are dungeon fluff just tokens i want to drop on maps to add character like chairs and a summoning circle.

so i just started a completly new campaign and when i open the module i created for city of danger in a fresh campaign i have 13 tokens.. judging by the tokens they are just the NPC tokens...now im guessing that i have to drag ALL the tokens into the export token space...

man this is stupid.. just works in the wierdest way... actually it probably works in the completely right way im just not putting the tokens in the right place... I guess if you had a boatload of tokens you wouldnt want them all copying over to the module.. .you would just want the ones associated with the modules.. so when you make a module i guess i have to drop the tokens into the export tokens area...

these are the kind of problems im having..

im mostly just talking to myself right now and writing out what im thinking cause i dont even know what question to ask...

do i drag and drop any non npc related tokens into the export window?

WansumBeats
July 13th, 2015, 05:49
ok so dragging the npcs from the monster manual to the NPC window UNLOCKS THEM.. CHECK. now to see if the tokens are there when i export

Trenloe
July 13th, 2015, 06:13
Tokens are exported with a module if one (or more) of the following are present:

Tokens are exported when they are linked to some other FG entity you exported. These are usually NPC or Encounter entries exported with the module. This is probably the reason why you only saw 13 out of 25 tokens - as only the 13 tokens were attached to something that was exported.
You manually drag the tokens to the "Exported Tokens" section of the Module Export window.
You put the tokens you want exporting into a \tokens directory within your module making campaign - use exactly the same hierarchy, e.g. tokens\host, tokens\shared, etc.. All of the tokens in the <campaign>\tokens directory will be exported with the module.

Moon Wizard
July 13th, 2015, 06:56
Also, tokens can only be exported from your own token folders. They should not be exporting from other modules, but will link to them instead (which means they need to be open in new campaign using export module).

Regards,
JPG

WansumBeats
July 14th, 2015, 03:11
ok so here we go again.... i just opened my city of danger module in the campaign i want to play it in and BOOM.. NO NPC tokens.. so i think im getting the GIST OF THIS FINALLY...

It seems to me that even after exporting the tokens.. you cant move them out your fantasy grounds folders... when exporting modules it only make links to said tokens...

So i think what i did was... i dragged all the tokens into the export window... exported the module.... and then opened it in the campaign i want to play it in... then after i realized it worked... i moved the tokens from my GM folder into a SUB folder.... so now that im about ready to play.. .i opened up the module in the campaign i want to play in .. and BOOM I GOTS NO TOKENS TODAY!!

lets see if i can easily fix this....

Moon Wizard
July 14th, 2015, 03:19
Yes, that would explain it. All token references both on data sheets and images are just references to the token source objects.

Regards,
JPG

WansumBeats
July 14th, 2015, 03:19
alright... that was an easy fix... i moved all the tokens into a sub folder called DDEX2-1 and i had no npc tokens in either the campaign or the module... i moved em all back and its working in both again.

now that i figured that out.... im really bummed... it doesnt actually copy the tokens.. its copys the link and thats it...

which sucks cause now im stuck with the tokens being forced to be left in a specific folder i dont want them to be in... this game is painful when your have organizational A.D.D.

if i use PAR5E where do the tokens go? if i create the module in par5e and then use FG to input story, maps, treasure, encounters ect ect... can i export everything out of FG into ONE FILE? and not have to worry about missing tokens?

Moon Wizard
July 14th, 2015, 03:21
You can place the tokens in your own token module if you want to be able to add/remove tokens as a group.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
July 14th, 2015, 05:16
now that i figured that out.... im really bummed... it doesnt actually copy the tokens.. its copys the link and thats it...
Try step #3 in my post 6 above. Put the tokens in a \tokens directory in your campaign - these will show up in the tokens folder within FG called "Campaign". Use these tokens for NPC tokens, encounter tokens, etc.. When you do a module export that includes entries that have tokens linked the token files will be exported too.

WansumBeats
July 15th, 2015, 05:00
Thanks for all the help and suggestions... I finally understand how tokens work... So what i ended up doing is making three modules.

first module holds all my dungeon fluff (broken down into folders for things like furniture,cave stuff,statues, containers ect ), second one is all monster tokens (just one folder), and third one is all NPC tokens (one folder containing tokens like nobles, commoners,dead, sleeping ect).

this allows me to open the modules, place the tokens and fluff the maps, and then close the folders and VIOLA the tokens stay on the map!!

it also solved my NPC issues, i can drag an NPC out of the MM and then drop a token i want into it and when i export the campaign the token stays. ( it wont however work if i give the modules to a friend to play, he will have to drop in his own tokens.)

the nice part is i dont have to have all the tokens open.. i can open the modules.. find what i need and then close em up.

once again.. thanks a bunch for all the help... i got this nailed down now.