PDA

View Full Version : How do you represent thief's tools

kdconwell1
July 12th, 2015, 02:07
I don't know how you play with Thief's Tools in D&D 5 and represent them in Fantasy Grounds. I have no clue.

Thanks

kylania
July 12th, 2015, 02:28
What I did was create a new skill. This allows me to click the Prof button twice to represent Expertise if I have it.

https://i.imgur.com/2fQHJLq.jpg

Dex mod = +3 then the Prof Bonus of +2 x 2 = +7

Just add a new skill, give it a name and click to use Dex. Then click the star on the far right twice to make it use Prof x2 as in Rogue's Expertise ability. All done! Then when you need to use the Tools just doubleclick the roll icon there to make the check.

Trenloe
July 12th, 2015, 03:01
MODERATOR: Moved to the 5E forum as this is a question specific to 5E. Please only post in the Tavern if the question is generic to Fantasy Grounds. Thanks.

Zacchaeus
July 12th, 2015, 09:56
Possession of Thieves Tools allows you to use your proficiency bonus to any checks you make to Disarm Traps or Open Locks. When you make an Open Lock or Disarm Trap check it is simply a Dexterity check. Therefore, technically, everyone can have a go at opening a lock or disarming a trap. They would simple roll a d20, add any dexterity modifier, and compare it to the Difficulty Class (Set by the DM). With Thieves Tools this lets you add your proficiency bonus to such a roll. For a level 1 character this bonus is +2; so with a dex bonus of say +3 then the total bonus would be 5.

There are a number of ways you can set this up. You could set up an effect, but this would be a bit unnecessary. You could just add the bonus onto the roll by clicking on the 'modifier' button in the bottom left hand corner and typing in "2". You do this just before you make the Dexterity check and it will automatically add in the extra 2. You could have something in the modifiers dialog. Click on the symbol with a +/- on it in the top right hand corner and click on the little red button and then the green 'plus'. Type in something like Thieves Tools; make the bonus 2 and then close up. When you next want to make a check open up this dialog and click on the button to add the bonus into the modifier box.

And you can also set it up as kylania has shown above. In all cases if the character has chosen expertise in Thieves Tools then as kylania says the proficiency bonus is doubled, so make sure you take that into consideration when calculating the bonus.

Overall, I'd say kylania's method is the cleanest because it will scale; in other words when the character levels up to a point where their proficiency bonus increases then that will automatically be taken care of. The other methods will need to be altered manually.