PDA

View Full Version : Dice tower question

MadBadHare
July 9th, 2015, 19:54
Hey,
First, New FG user here so sorry if this had been asked but I could not find anything about my question.

With regards to the dice tower - I had been watching a lot of FG D&D 5E video and noticed that the DM asks for checks to be rolled in the tower. Then of course the players do not do that. I have seen this quite frequently. So my question is this; Is there a way to have the players checks all be automatically rolled in the tower? Rather then have the players drag the rolls over to the tower. Honestly I would not mind if ALL the players rolls were forced into the tower even though it really doesn't matter if they are seen.

Appreciate any insight,

Sprou7

kylania
July 9th, 2015, 20:08
The tower represents a roll that the player makes but doesn't see. If you're willing to take the player interaction out of it since all you care about is unknown roles for the whole party you can use the buttons at the bottom of the Party Sheet Main Tab to initiate as a GM a skill check, save, ability check or attack for all party members with a click. By default the players will see dice rolling but won't see the results but there's a eye button there to make it visible if desired.

So that's the mechanics of everyone using the Dice Tower at least.

There are GM options to not show rolls or results as well under the Checkbox Menu button. My PC is too crappy to run both client and host to test at the moment though, but I'm pretty sure you can do that. :)

MadBadHare
July 9th, 2015, 20:14
My point is I still want the players to participate but not necessarily see the rolls - mostly for checks and saves. I am just trying to take that "oops, I forgot to roll in the tower" thing away. Not a huge deal, Just an observation that prompted the question.

Thanks for the reply

kylania
July 9th, 2015, 20:32
The GM can enable the dice tower on the fly under Options, so that's OK. :)

JohnD
July 9th, 2015, 20:34
My point is I still want the players to participate but not necessarily see the rolls - mostly for checks and saves. I am just trying to take that "oops, I forgot to roll in the tower" thing away. Not a huge deal, Just an observation that prompted the question.

Thanks for the reply
House Rule; any roll in the Tower requested by the DM that is made in the open is an automatic failure regardless of the roll.

MadBadHare
July 9th, 2015, 20:36
House Rule; any roll in the Tower requested by the DM that is made in the open is an automatic failure regardless of the roll.
Welp, I guess that about covers it... :D

Griogre
July 9th, 2015, 20:44
Personally my rule is if I say in the tower, any roll not in the tower doesn't count. Not a punitive as JohnD but it works for me.

Trenloe
July 10th, 2015, 00:00
Just let your players know ahead of time what you expect to be rolled in the tower - but still say it for the first few times "Dex save in the tower please". Then have a chat with the players after a while, making sure they know which rolls you want in the tower and tell them you expect that in future. If they mistakenly don't roll in the tower just discount it (or auto fail if it's the same player all the time). Depending on how many different rolls you want in the tower the players may find it easier to have those rolls ready in the hotkeys closest to the tower, then they can quickly drag/drop these rolls into the tower. Just make sure the players update the hotkeys if their base rolls change as the links in the hotkeys are static they don't update from the character sheet.

Mgrancey
July 10th, 2015, 00:19
Agree with if not in tower when asked/expected they need to reroll, it can a take little time to get used but players will learn to drop stuff in the tower.

I have no problem rolling in the tower so long as it isn't every roll. Personally, I very much dislike every roll being hidden and avoid those GMs in the future.

poppy_thompson
July 10th, 2015, 01:14
Another option would be to install the extension that allows players to move the dice tower. When I play with a DM that has that feature, I move the tower next to the chat window. The location of the tower is a convenient reminder.

Trenloe
July 10th, 2015, 01:21
Another option would be to install the extension that allows players to move the dice tower. When I play with a DM that has that feature, I move the tower next to the chat window. The location of the tower is a convenient reminder.
Good reminder of that functionality, which is standard in the next release 3.1.2.

Trenloe
July 10th, 2015, 01:21
Good reminder of that functionality, which is standard in the next release 3.1.2.

MadBadHare
July 10th, 2015, 15:39
Personally, I very much dislike every roll being hidden and avoid those GMs in the future.

I agree - I had just noticed in a good deal of streams that rolling in the tower had been a recurring issue which is why I asked. Being a new FG user I really had no insight to remedy that so I turned toward the community which is always helpful and very tight knit.

Depending on how many different rolls you want in the tower the players may find it easier to have those rolls ready in the hotkeys closest to the tower, then they can quickly drag/drop these rolls into the tower. Just make sure the players update the hotkeys if their base rolls change as the links in the hotkeys are static they don't update from the character sheet.

Thanks for this idea I think anything to assist the players in making the game easier helps the enjoyment level for all. From experience as a DM the more fun you make a game for new player to get way into a particular game. This is from running games for entirely new players session after session at Cons. My ultimate goal is to make it easy and fun for all. FG is a great tool for that as I am coming to learn.

This is a cool thing as well - Movable Dice tower will be awesome.

Thanks to all who commented I appreciated all the insight.