PDA

View Full Version : Colossus Slayer Effects

kdconwell1
July 8th, 2015, 17:42
I am try to make an effect for Colossus Slayer and I think it is only for Rangers which my character is a Ranger. I want to be able to say only on my turn and only on the first hit when the creatures maximum hit points is below a 100 percent is the way I understand the rule and to it to only apply on the first hit that has it. I also would like to know if since I have two handed fighting I think it is called does the first one hitting cause Colossus Slayer come into effect since I have to do another D20 role the way I understand it.

Thanks

Kevin

PS Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. Please tell me the right place to ask in the future so I get it right. I only have played 5 games in D&D 5E and just know the real basics of fantasy grounds and have questions sometimes that I don't understand. I also don't understand how to use the WIKI cause I am sure a lot of the questions I would want to ask is found there.

Trenloe
July 8th, 2015, 17:54
Moved to it's own thread. If you have a specific question you're best asking it in a new thread - it's easier for people to find the info, both now to answer your questions and in future for people to find information.

Xorn
July 8th, 2015, 18:55
Let me answer in reverse order.

Second, you are correct that with two-weapon fighting, if you damage the target on the first attack, your second attack is eligible for colossus slayer.

First, as FG can't detect if a creature is full HP or not, what you should do is just make an effect of "Colossus Slayer; DMG: 1d8" with a duration of Once Per Modifier and target Self. Whenever you hit with an attack that should gain Colossus Slayer, just click the effect before rolling damage. When you roll damage, the effect will then fall off automatically.

epithet
July 8th, 2015, 18:57
Look for the discussion of Sneak Attack damage for a rogue. You'll want to do Colossus Slayer bonus damage the same way.

Edit: which is what Xorn said, but with more detail.

OneSidedDie
July 8th, 2015, 19:06
This won't be something you can keep on all the time because it only works with weapon attacks once a turn. But if you set this up as effect on a power in your actions tab, duration 1 round, expend once. When you land a hit with a weapon attack but before rolling damage, pop this on yourself and it should do the extra damage. Colossus Slayer works once a turn so you can use it on your turn and any other creatures turn (say by an opportunity attack).

Colossus Slayer;IFT: wounded;DMG: 1d8;[ROLL]

Zacchaeus
July 8th, 2015, 19:15
Just in case you are unsure how to create the effect as Xorn has indicated proceed as follows.

1. Open up you character sheet and navigate to the 'Actions' Tab. Now click on the little reddish button in the bottom right hand corner.
2. This will open up two new buttons; click on the one that looks like a star.
3. You will now see a blank Power. In the <<name>> section type in "Colossus Slayer" and in the next box type in "Ranger Power" (You can type whatever you want - these are just suggestions)
4. Now right click over the line you have just created and you'll get a radial menu; find the 'Add Action' option and click on it.
5. This gives you some new options; you should click on the one that says 'Add effect' (The little man)
6. This has added a new line to your power. Click on the little magnifying glass at the right hand side of this new line.
7. In the dialog box which opens up type in 'Colossus Slayer; DNG: 1d8' in the line below Description/Conditions/Modifiers
8. You can leave the Duration box blank. In the targeting box click the word targets abd it will cycle through the options. Stop when you get to 'Self'.
9. In the final box marked 'Expend?' click on the word 'Never' and it will cycle through the options. Stop when you the option get to 'once per modifier'
10. Now close the dialog and click on the reddish button at the bottom right to finish editing.

As Zorn says when the conditions are right click on the little man icon before making your damage roll and it will add the extra damage to that roll. Note by using this method it will also use the correct damage type (i.e. that which is appropriate to your weapon) and so any conditions which apply such as resistance to that damage type will correctly compute. It will also apply any critical damage if that should happen to also apply.

Griogre
July 8th, 2015, 20:13
And finally for total completeness... the low tech way if you are playing someone else's character and you don't have time to fix their character sheet ;) - when you need the extra d8 damage throw the d8 first into chat then drag the result down into the mod box and roll damage normally. :) Not everyone knows you can drag chat rolls down into the mod box.

kylania
July 8th, 2015, 21:28
Stop when you the option get to 'once per modifier'

duration of Once Per Modifier

What's the difference between Once Per Modifier, On Next Action and On Next Roll? For example I see people setup Sneak Attack as an On Next Action and that seems to work well. Is it action since that applies to the next Damage Roll instead of On Next Roll which would trigger on the next Attack Roll? How would Once Per Modifier fit into that?

Edit: Think I found it (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Campaign_Effects), but it's still a little unclear. Wiki uses different terms for these things:

Expenditure: By default, an effect is applied to all future rolls until the duration expires. The expenditure button can be toggled to Action, Roll or Singles as well. If set to Action, the effect will be applied to the next relevant action (set of rolls)(i.e. area of effect attack rolls as a set). If set to Roll, the effect will be applied to the next relevant single roll. If set to Singles, each component of the effect will be applied once when relevant, then removed. (See below for effect label components.)

So Once Per Modifier is [SINGLES].

Any examples or more clear explanation for how those work or why to use one over the other?

Zacchaeus
July 8th, 2015, 22:06
As the Wiki says 'Action' would be something like an area of effect spell which has multiple targets, or where you wanted an effect to apply to multiple dice rolls. If for example you wanted to add a modifier to a damage roll which applied to more than one target you would use action. This is because the whole action needs the modifier. If you set it to roll then only the first dice rolled would get the modifier and not any subsequent ones.

Roll simply applies to the next roll; which could be anything - an attack, save, damage or ability check. It will only apply to the first dice rolled.

Singles, I'm not hugely sure about either to be honest. In the case of Colossus Slayer I would just have used on action since the effect is being applied immediately before the dice is rolled for damage. I was only following what Xorn said since he, obviously, is one of the Gods around here and therefore knows better. :)