PDA

View Full Version : Shooting am Arrow in line of sight

kdconwell1
July 8th, 2015, 17:04
What is the rule if a fellow adventurer is in the line of sight to a creature. Do I go at disadvantage or since I am proficient do I get to ignore the fact they are in the line of sight? I just wanted the community to answer I have said it is ok my DM's, bit it seems like at least I should be at disadvantage if I am not proficient. If I am proficient I am not sure because the way I see it I would be good enough with the bow I could miss them. I could also look at it as I have a percentage chance of hitting them even though it would be low if I was proficient.

Thanks

Kevin

kylania
July 8th, 2015, 17:15
The target would benefit from Half Cover. So +2 to their AC for the attack per page 196 of the PHB:

A target with half cover has a +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall. a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend.

Xorn
July 8th, 2015, 17:35
kylania answered it already; for an option to avoid that penalty, the Sharpshooter feat allows you to ignore cover (and disadvantage from range)

dj-wedge
July 8th, 2015, 18:10
Isn't there something about getting disadvantage on the attack roll? I've just been telling people "You have disadvantage because there are friendlies in the line of fire". And fumbles are always interesting. <evil grin>

Trenloe
July 8th, 2015, 18:15
Isn't there something about getting disadvantage on the attack roll?
Not specifically for cover - these are -2 for cover and -5 for superior cover. FG ruleset has this covered (pun intended, sorry) in the modifier box with the Cover and Sup. Cover buttons:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/5E/Modifier%20Window.jpg

dj-wedge
July 8th, 2015, 18:23
Thankfully that does not preclude any creativity during fumbles. :)

kdconwell1
July 8th, 2015, 18:23
Will that apply the half cover everyone is talking about

Trenloe
July 8th, 2015, 18:28
Will that apply the half cover everyone is talking about
Yes - these are attack -2 for "half-cover" (the "Cover" button) and -5 for "three-quarters cover" (the "superior cover" button) as per the "Cover" section in the PHB.

crb31
July 8th, 2015, 19:06
Where are the cover buttons?

Nylanfs
July 8th, 2015, 19:06
Click on the modifiers button.

Trenloe
July 8th, 2015, 19:11
Where are the cover buttons?
In the 5E modifiers box. Generic modifier info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Modifiers

Screenshot of the 5E modifiers box in post #5 above.

Zacchaeus
July 8th, 2015, 19:39
Isn't there something about getting disadvantage on the attack roll? I've just been telling people "You have disadvantage because there are friendlies in the line of fire". And fumbles are always interesting. <evil grin>

There is no 'shooting into melee' rules in 5e as there was in previous iterations of D&D. There is still disadvantage for using a ranged weapon where there is an enemy within 5' of you.

Interestingly the PHB only talks about line of sight and targeting in the spellcasting section of the rules; I can find nothing about line of sight as regards missile weapons. However the 'Cover' rules do talk about creatures being in the way of a ranged attack. I think it's reasonable to suggest that the closer a creature is to the target the more likely it is that the target would have some kind of cover. It would also be reasonable to say that if an ally was directly in line between the target and the shooter that the target would benefit from cover. Whichever way you rule this the penalty is a straight negative to the roll not disatvantage.

kylania
July 8th, 2015, 20:15
Thankfully that does not preclude any creativity during fumbles. :)

My current online game is with a first time DM and he's absolutely convinced that rolling a 1 means you hit a party member no matter how unlikely it is to physically happen!

Barbarian rushes into a room and swings his battleaxe rolling a 1. The battleaxe flies out of the barb's hands on the back swing bounces off the outside tunnel wall and ricochets into the poor Ranger hiding around the corner out of sight till all the baddies are fixated on the barbarian...

Tel Arin
July 8th, 2015, 20:41
I use the hitting cover rule from the DMG (page 272)

Larac
July 8th, 2015, 21:43
But the -2 near chat works great, no do think we have ever used the Mod side button.

damned
July 9th, 2015, 00:02
My current online game is with a first time DM and he's absolutely convinced that rolling a 1 means you hit a party member no matter how unlikely it is to physically happen!

Barbarian rushes into a room and swings his battleaxe rolling a 1. The battleaxe flies out of the barb's hands on the back swing bounces off the outside tunnel wall and ricochets into the poor Ranger hiding around the corner out of sight till all the baddies are fixated on the barbarian...

when playing this (on a 1 my players roll on a critical miss and it might come up you hit an ally) the attacker still needs to roll a successful hit on the *new target*.

Trenloe
July 9th, 2015, 01:36
But the -2 near chat works great, no do think we have ever used the Mod side button.
If all you have is cover and no other mods then that works great. If you have multiple -2 modifiers using the modifier window helps - and it also shows in the attack roll what each modifier is for.

Gadreun
July 9th, 2015, 09:49
I just shoot through the holes I previously made in my group mates :)

dj-wedge
July 9th, 2015, 17:08
I'm really feeling dense here. Can someone point out exactly how to open the Modifiers dialog box previously discussed? I shamefully admit I spent a good 15 minutes last night trying to find it and failed miserably. I did figure out you can reposition your dice and the little modifier thing in the lower left. But no amount of clicking or shift clicking or ctrl-shift-4M's and silent Q clicking could pull up any dialog box.

Thanks in advance,
Wedge

kylania
July 9th, 2015, 17:24
The attached picture shows the steps for a basic covered attack.

First click the +/- button on the top right of your button bar.
Second click the Cover button to activate it, it will turn red (depending on your theme) to show it's active.
Third make your attack normally.
Four confirm that the [COVER] modifier was included in the roll.

Note that you need to have your player and target on the combat tracker for it all to work properly.

dj-wedge
July 9th, 2015, 17:41
It was right there all along. I was looking lower left, not upper right. And duh... +/-... those are modifiers... hello!

I'll just go sit over here and be quiet.