PDA

View Full Version : A "help" session for new players.

brautigan1
July 8th, 2015, 13:24
If you are looking for help with FG or Pathfinder, please see JerryRig's post below this one. Personally, I am placing my own "help" campaign on hold, as I am currently overwhelmed by the demand (something like 15 people since I started this and snowballing). Not a complaint (promise!) I just simply need a break while I work on other things for awhile. I'll be back with it though! If you are already signed up with me and haven't received help yet, I will gladly work with you. Otherwise, give me a week or two, please. Thanks!

Original Post:

I'm doing this for a time for people who have come looking to play, but are completely confused about the whole thing, have no idea how to get started, etc.

If you happen to be one of those people, I invite you to join my "campaign." Basically, it will just be you and I on Teamspeak (required), working together on my FG server, going over whatever it is that is throwing you for a loop. Maybe it's just the fact you've never played D&D before, or it's been so long you can't remember a thing. Or maybe it's the virtual tabletop thing that has you flustered. Whatever it is, I have confidence I can help clear things up with you in short order to the point where you can take a breath and have confidence going into a real game.

I have the time, so feel free to sign up and name your time. Just drop me a PM when you're ready to go, and I'll shoot you back with Teamspeak details and my server address for Fantasy Grounds.

Start here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1509

Thanks for your patience, guys. I hope I've been of help to people so far.

JerryRig
July 8th, 2015, 13:53
I'll do the same if it is D&D or pathfinder. You can find me in teamspeak under JerryRig if I am available. To connect to Teamspeak see this LINK (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server).

crb31
July 15th, 2015, 17:17
Thanks for posting this

Junker67
July 17th, 2015, 01:55
I'll do the same if it is D&D or pathfinder. You can find me in teamspeak under JerryRig if I am available. To connect to Teamspeak see this LINK (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server).

I would be interessted in this..I have Fantasy Grounds on Steam and my steam name is junker67 I also have teamspeak

Junker67
July 18th, 2015, 01:19
I would gladly take some sort of tour in this software with some of you guys..I bought the client on STEAM and my steam name is junker67

Wazoodust
July 18th, 2015, 07:45
I'm new to FG and I'd be very interested in learning FG functionality and brushing up on D&D (only been about 30 years since I played AD&D). I plan on running 5E when I get everything set up with my group, unfortunately I won't be available again til July 26 due to a much needed vacation.

dulux-oz
July 18th, 2015, 08:02
Not trying to highjack the thread or detract in any way from the great work being done by brautigan and/or JerryRig, just simply bringing to people's attention something they may not be aware of and something that will compliment the sessions these two boys are running, but there are some excellent Tutorial Videos on how to use FG on the FG Wiki as well - damns' are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the basis/foundations of how we play most RPGs with FG - by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you need to know to play any RPG with FG.

And, yes, I realise that some people get a better learning outcome from being shown how to do something live, and so I applaud these two boys helping out they way they are - as I said, this is just a way to bring to peoples' attention another resource to help out (if they were not already aware of them). :)

Well done fellas!

Cheers

brautigan1
July 18th, 2015, 09:46
And as Dulux-Oz knows, my personal favorite tutorials for absolute beginners are his. They're how I got going with it.

Start here with videos:

Dulux-Oz's Series 1, Video 01-A-01 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF3f0R0Sm7s&list=PLXaP4OoFR0gHBt6pNB0TLg2mSNf5deVQN)

IMO, you couldn't do better for tutorial videos.

Thanks for stopping in, Dulux!

dulux-oz
July 18th, 2015, 10:14
Not a problem - thanks for the kind works :)

JerryRig
July 19th, 2015, 04:00
You can always catch me in Teampseak if I'm on and see if i can help you on short notice or send me a message if you want to set up a particular time to go over either D&D 3.5 or pathfinder rule sets. Other rule sets running on FG are not terribly different in navigation of FGG as it is in the tools useable.

dulux-oz
July 23rd, 2015, 15:54
So how did the sessions go, boys? Got any "good news" stories to tell?

JerryRig
July 23rd, 2015, 20:44
I have'nt had anyone contact me in either FG or on Teamspeak yet so no good stories to share yet.

I can be reached under the name JerryRig on the Fantasy Grounds Teamspeak Server most days. The information on how to connect o the Fantasy Grounds Teamspeak server is at the below orange link

Fantasy Grounds Teamspeak Server Information (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server)

brautigan1
July 24th, 2015, 08:16
Well, I have plenty of stories I could share, and they range from horrible to positively grand. I put myself out for this in part to gauge new player demand for 5e, and what I got was pretty much what I expected (and partly feared). Over the past two weeks, I have conducted help sessions with 18 people, about 80% of whom actually expressed gratitude. These sessions ranged from one to three hours, depending on what was needed, and how much I could tolerate personality-wise. I can tell you that three of these people were a nightmare to communicate with, mainly due to an attitude that I what I was doing for them was something they had coming to them. I informed them that I do not work for Fantasy Grounds, and that I was not being paid for my time.

Most of the people I have helped were courteous and grateful.

A few of them were so excited to learn that it was an absolute joy to help them. I could name names, and I really want to (and have in PM's to certain DM's looking for players), but I don't feel it's my place here.

Some of these sessions were with people who knew absolutely nothing about 5e or FG. Most had experience with previous editions of D&D, but 5e was confusing them. The vast majority had absolutely no idea of how to use FG at all. Also, most were running full versions and had a few class packs.

The only reason JerryRig hasn't had anyone come to him yet is that, obviously, nearly every single person coming to FG from "off the streets (so to speak)" have one thing in their sights: Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition.

I must add that my "help" sessions have actually snowballed. Two of the last three people who came to me told me that a previous participant recommended joining my session. This is why I decided to put a halt to it. There is a very high demand for this, and if it is something anyone wants to contribute to, I feel it is just fantastic for player-base building here at FG. I just frankly can't keep up with it anymore. I have been overwhelmed.

damned
July 24th, 2015, 08:32
Well done brautigan1! Thats a fantastic result. Unfortunate about the 3 but 15 positive results = AWESOME!
Come and run a 5e session at FGDaze! and watch them put that great education to use :)

Awhole
July 24th, 2015, 09:34
The help session was wonderful. The knowledge that was shared was invaluable. It was great to see someone take the time to explain and thoroughly go through any questions I had. I would recommend this tutelage to anyone. Thank you again for your time patients and knowledge.

brautigan1
July 24th, 2015, 09:46
You're welcome, Awhole. It was honestly a pleasure. And to anyone looking for someone to join their group, Awhole is a very nice guy, good communicator, and I would recommend giving him a shot.

dulux-oz
July 24th, 2015, 11:38
Well done brautigan1! Thats a fantastic result. Unfortunate about the 3 but 15 positive results = AWESOME!

Ditto! :)

JerryRig
July 24th, 2015, 14:02
Not sure how different 5E is to navigate then pathfinder ....likely 80-90% the same navigation just differences in how things operate within the ruleset. Not saying I would be looking forward to help saturation like you have been doing but the more in here and learning the more engagement we have.

On another note I had a new DM talking with me last night about running a session of 5E ...Firewolf was sharing his with me his initial plans so he should be firing up something soon.

Daemini
July 30th, 2015, 01:23
brautigan1 was awesome help for me. I learned alot and am even making my own campaign for 5e now.

edit: I've even taught one of my DMs a few things

Awhole
July 30th, 2015, 01:29
brautigan1 was awesome help for me. I learned alot and am even making my own campaign for 5e now.

edit: I've even taught one of my DMs a few things

He is a great help highly recommend and praise him.