PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Campaign From Players Files

ThinkTank
July 7th, 2015, 07:09
Is it possible to recover anything useful of a Campaign from a players files if the original GM's version is gone (and the hardware it was running on for that matter)?

damned
July 7th, 2015, 12:12
There is no way to do this that is in the public domain.
Send an email to support@ fantasygrounds.com and they may be able to help you.

ThinkTank
July 7th, 2015, 14:23
Good to know, thanks.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2015, 15:54
Try the FGPEM Utility found at the bottom of this page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides

Run this on the campaign.dat file from the player's cache directory. You'll only get a small amount of data (the PC for the player, for example). We had a GM lost all of his data earlier this year and I had an email conversation with the devs - the FGPEM utility was the best they could offer, but this won't get you anywhere near the original GM campaign data.

Nylanfs
July 7th, 2015, 16:44
I'm guessing that you had one of the following happen
a) a falling out with the GM and player group
b) Desktop/laptop stolen (hardware being being lost in a nasty divorce could also be lumped in)
c) Disaster where the hardware was otherwise destroyed

To prevent b & c ALWAYS backup your campaign folder to a location outside of the GM's machine (Dropbox, Google Drive, server somewhere) NOTE: Do NOT point your active campaign location at a shared location. There is a chance of it getting corrupted during a sync while being actively used.

If it's a) you are kind of screwed.

ThinkTank
July 7th, 2015, 19:07
I'm guessing that you had one of the following happen
a) a falling out with the GM and player group
b) Desktop/laptop stolen (hardware being being lost in a nasty divorce could also be lumped in)
c) Disaster where the hardware was otherwise destroyed

To prevent b & c ALWAYS backup your campaign folder to a location outside of the GM's machine (Dropbox, Google Drive, server somewhere) NOTE: Do NOT point your active campaign location at a shared location. There is a chance of it getting corrupted during a sync while being actively used.

If it's a) you are kind of screwed.

C in this case.

Try the FGPEM Utility found at the bottom of this page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides

Run this on the campaign.dat file from the player's cache directory. You'll only get a small amount of data (the PC for the player, for example). We had a GM lost all of his data earlier this year and I had an email conversation with the devs - the FGPEM utility was the best they could offer, but this won't get you anywhere near the original GM campaign data.

Sounds good, all the players can at least give the GM a partial of the campaign data back, saves starting from scratch. Cheers Trenloe.

Old Man Trouble
July 7th, 2015, 20:40
Yeah, I'm the GM in question. My basement flooded and toasted my tower. Fortunately I had a backup server that was raid arrayed. Unfortunately the backup server is now a brick. It seems like not much can really be done, short of starting over. Thanks for looking into this, everyone.