PDA

View Full Version : Book 2 of the sundering?

bnickelsen
July 7th, 2015, 01:29
does anyone know what setting / edition the second book is set in.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2015, 02:04
Assuming you're talking about the 6 novel series covering "The Sundering" D&D event, a tiny bit of searching uncovered this: https://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sundering_%28event%29 and this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sundering_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29 with various links to more information off these two resources.

bnickelsen
July 7th, 2015, 02:19
Assuming you're talking about the 6 novel series covering "The Sundering" D&D event, a tiny bit of searching uncovered this: https://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sundering_%28event%29 and this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sundering_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29 with various links to more information off these two resources.

I did the basic search.....did not get to where I wanted to go.

having read the book i am looking for info on classes and such. I am assuming that a good portion is from 4th ed. It might have been 3.5 but I don't remember anything like it.
any one else able to point me to something more informative.

JohnD
July 7th, 2015, 03:06
By the following, 4th edition;

History and development
The changes to the Forgotten Realms when 4th edition D&D were announced in 2006 were done without the consultation of Ed Greenwood or any of the main Realms authors. Despite entreaties not to go through with them, they happened anyway. Ed and R.A. Salvatore worked together to come up with a plan to fix the inevitable damage that these changes would cause. They came up with The Sundering.[citation needed]

The first announcement of the Sundering came at Gen Con 2012.[1] Wizards of the Coast is calling the event a "cataclysm."[1] Forgotten Realms campaign setting creator Ed Greenwood described the event as "war, gods, and plain folks trying to get by."[3] The novels and adventures will be released in a staggered, overlapping fashion, and the collective results of players in their adventures can be submitted to Wizards of the Coast, and will influence the stories in the novels.[3] The result of the events, in game terms, was a simplified set of rules initially dubbed and playtested as D&D Next, but now commonly referred to as 5th Edition.

Trenloe
July 7th, 2015, 05:07
The result of the events, in game terms, was a simplified set of rules initially dubbed and playtested as D&D Next, but now commonly referred to as 5th Edition.
Sounds more like 5th edition to me.

any one else able to point me to something more informative.
From the second link I referenced: "The Sundering is a fictional event set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. It is described in a series of novels and game supplements beginning in 2013 in anticipation of the newest version of the game, known at the time as D&D Next.[1]"

TASagent
July 7th, 2015, 17:10
Yeah, the sundering was used to "reset" Forgotten Realms to what it was before 4e (changes that were made in 4e are generally considered bad). A galactic Undo button. It would take place between 4th and 5th edition, and would be associated more strongly with the latter. Game materials released were under the D&D Next banner, like "Scourge of the Sword Coast", and the two really awesome adventures "Murder in Baldurs Gate" and "Legacy of the Crystal Shard"

bnickelsen
July 8th, 2015, 00:08
Yeah, the sundering was used to "reset" Forgotten Realms to what it was before 4e (changes that were made in 4e are generally considered bad). A galactic Undo button. It would take place between 4th and 5th edition, and would be associated more strongly with the latter. Game materials released were under the D&D Next banner, like "Scourge of the Sword Coast", and the two really awesome adventures "Murder in Baldurs Gate" and "Legacy of the Crystal Shard"

I may have asked the wrong question. I am up to book three in the series and loving it so far. I have a fairly good ideal what the sundering is. How ever when I read the second book I could not tell what characters classes or races were being used. I don't recall anything like that in 3.5 forgotten realms and so far nothing like it in 5th ed. So I am thinking they must be some where in 4th. I was one of those people who completely stop all TT RPG's when WOC dropped 3.5 for 4.0. Now 5e I am all fired up again. I really liked some of the shadow magic in the second book and wanted more info on the "Diva" class/race.

Now here is the trick. I might be willing to buy some 4th ed source books just to get at the races and classes but it would suck to buy something and find to that none of what I am looking for is there.

Trenloe
July 8th, 2015, 01:19
I may have asked the wrong question.
Yeah, please try to be a bit clearer in future. Asking "what setting / edition the second book is set in." seemed to be pretty clearly answered from the links I provided: Setting = Forgotten Realms, Edition = D&D Next (5E). Community Members frequently spend a bunch of time researching their responses to forum posts, so it would be appreciated if the right/unambiguous/fully detailed question is asked in the first place. Thanks.

TASagent
July 10th, 2015, 18:44
I don't believe there are any adventures or game supplements set around the events of the book series, but I'm not that familiar with the book series. One possibility, though, is that some of the Adventure League content touches on the book events. For that, you'd need someone else's input, as I'm not really familiar with either.

Edit: I can summarize some key information about 3 of the adventure modules in the "The Sundering" series:

Legacy of the Crystal Shard is set in Icewind Dale, centered around Bryn Shander and the other 9 of the Ten Towns.
Murder in Baldur's Gate centers around a murder. In Baldur's Gate.
Scourge of the Sword Coast takes place in a Central (N/S), Coastal town of Daggerford and the surrounding regions.

Scourge itself includes some NPCs who are a group of older, retired adventurers, but I don't believe it's related to the books.

You should check out this wiki (https://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sundering_(series)) for more information on the book series and characters.