PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5E Outlander Background - Trophy Ideas?

leozelig
July 7th, 2015, 01:28
This thread might be more relevant to the 5E forum, but it really has nothing to do with FG...

I am rolling up a ranger with the outlander background for a D&D 5E game, and one item of equipment is "a trophy from an animal you killed." I was looking at the pregens for the Elemental Evil story line, and the cleric (soldier background) has a pouch of ash from a defeated fire elemental as a trophy. So, I was thinking... What are some cool ideas for an outlander's trophy? This background is suggested for ranger and barbarian characters, so with that in mind, here are some fairly obvious ideas:

animal pelt (wolf, bear, etc.)
wolf fang
boar tusk
bear claw
eagle feather

Is it too far-fetched for a level 1 character to have a trophy from a dire wolf or similar creature? The pregen cleric apparently has defeated a fire elemental, after all (flavor text, I know).

Anyone care to share some creative ideas to spice up my PC a little?? Keep in mind, it's supposed to be an animal I killed...

Draca
July 7th, 2015, 01:54
Tooth of a small dragon , you coulda had 30 friends helping you kill the little thing , and they got several teeth to go around!

Mayby you were on a hunt with other Rangers and they and you technically felled a big beastie and let you take the trophy. ( First hunt type of thing )
Honestly story wise you can make just about anything plausible.

Griogre
July 8th, 2015, 01:28
My Druid has a bearskin cloak as a trophy. But I agree with Draca just take something that is thematic for the character. Some other ideas are Lion, Tiger, Cougar claw or teeth necklace. Snakeskin boots or belt. Bone pipe made from a large beast. Scrimshaw made from a tusk or large teeth.

leozelig
July 8th, 2015, 02:01
Awesome, I like those ideas. I rolled a dragon talon necklace for a trinket, interestingly.

criamon
July 8th, 2015, 03:56
i like the idea of stag horns. they can be built into a helm or even turned into dagger hilts.