PDA

View Full Version : New patches released for Elemental Evil Player's Comp. and Princes of the Apocalypse

ddavison
July 6th, 2015, 03:32
Zeus just sent me a big update with a lot of fixes to items reported by the community. There are still a few known items on the list that we hope to get knocked out later this week, but there are plenty of things to include at this stage. Most of the issues were related to formatting of special characters, missing apostrophes, etc. A big thanks goes out to the community members who posted detailed information on the issues an especially to Zacchaeus.

kylania
July 6th, 2015, 03:45
Thanks! Loving the frequent updates and attention to the community.

xanstin
July 6th, 2015, 03:58
Great job guys! I know its rough with all the negativity that sometimes crops up here and on enworld, but you guys do a great job of making this feel like a community striving for a better product.

kdconwell1
July 8th, 2015, 17:32
I read somewhere I think it was in one of the forms that Princes of the Apolcalyse didn't include everything is that correct?

ddavison
July 8th, 2015, 17:35
The original module referred DM's back to the MM to look up the stats for many of the encounters and only had the stats for the new monsters and NPCs. Originally we were going to follow that model, but we decided to include the monsters from the MM anyway. You no longer need the MM to run this adventure. It has everything you need.

Trenloe
July 8th, 2015, 17:38
You no longer need the MM to run this adventure. It has everything you need.
Fantastic! :)

kylania
July 8th, 2015, 19:22
More and more love! Thanks so much! (Even though I bought the MM already hehe)

Judokas
July 17th, 2015, 17:36
I want to edit the module. Here are some examples of what I was starting to do:
-Zacchaeus made some very useful maps for sections of the module that were not in the original content.
-Another item is that some of the story flow is missing links that I would find useful (Level 1-3 points to chapter 2 but doesn't link you back to chapter 6 for the encounters).
-Several of the tokens are letters. I have tons of Pathfinder tokens to replace the bears, brigands etc. I paid for them so want to use them whenever I can :).

All to say these are edits I was going to make to the module but then I thought ... won't they get crushed by any updates I take? Here are my questions:

- Is my assumption that the updates overwrite custom edits correct?

- Is there a way to take just the adventure module out of the update phase?

- How do you do handle custom edits vs updates?

I did try and search the forums for this info but I think I am missing a keyword.

Thanks for your help.

Zacchaeus
July 17th, 2015, 18:21
Updates to modules will not overwrite any amendments you make to the module. Anything that you amend, write or link up is saved in a separate area and will persist after an update.

So to use the maps just make sure you have the map mod open and link the maps to wherever you want them. Same thing with story links or indeed anything at all that you add or amend from the original story.

As regards tokens, these too won't be overwritten. Just open the encounter click the 'locked' icon in the top right hand corner and drag a new token over the one(s) you want to replace.

Hopefully this answers your three questions, but if not let us know.

Judokas
July 17th, 2015, 19:31
Zacchaeus,

This does. I am pleasantly surprised. I have used the program for a long time but since I make my own stuff I never have to worry about downloading an update. I thought when they update the PoTA Adventure it would update all of the story contents. If I am reading it correctly I can update the story contents with links to your maps etc. When I get the next update the same story entry will still keep my link. I had thought it would overwrite the story entry (if they do an update to it) but if I understand correctly this is wrong.

Thanks for the quick response!

Zacchaeus
July 17th, 2015, 22:27
The WotC modules are copy protected so you can't directly change them in modules like you can if you created one yourself. However changes are stored not in the module but in the campaigns folder. Think of the module as like the PHB or Monster Manual. You pull stuff out of that into your own campaign. If there is an update it updates the copy protected module not your campaign.

Judokas
July 17th, 2015, 23:30
Zacchaeus,

I am a bit confused. It may be as you say but I would like to understand better. If there is a source module (protected) then a merge would need to happen OR it would crush my changes would it not? I started to attach files but realized it was licensed content.

So lets do this a different way.

In Section 6.02.01 Bears and Bows I unlock it and add my own bandit conversation and a link to your map. Even if this is stored in my campaign it needs a reference (offset, line, keywords) to know where it exists in the WotC module and how to be presented to the end user.

Now imagine WotC update entry 6.02.01 and change most of the text making the entry very long (lets say they add a 4 page conversation between the bandits). When I get their update how does my previous update know where to exist?

I use versioning systems at work and when we have two sets of code branched off of the same source. In cases as above (depending on what is used as a reference) a human often has to make some calls. In most cases where little changes etc the merge is ok and no human is needed.

Obviously this is just an example so you can see my concern and shed some light on how this works.

Thanks for your time!

kylania
July 17th, 2015, 23:43
Why not include your changes in their own module and just add links to your content in the official module? They'll only exist in the campaign you created them in any way and if they are lost in some update you just have links to recreate instead of content.

damned
July 17th, 2015, 23:45
unfortunately for the first 3 months (and longer for the bigger items) of the D&D product lines they will get updated. some of it is input errors from SW side, some is input errors from WotC side, some is errata. it does pose a challenge for what you are doing... it is a compromise and it does affect some people more than others...

Judokas
July 18th, 2015, 01:11
Thanks damned.

So what I will do is make my own story entry with specific notes on each section that I want to make changes to. I won't bother with the monster tokens. This way I will just track my delta's outside of the WoTC module and leave it visable when I am running. Not as slick as I would like it but better than redoing the work each time.

Kylania,

I was thinking of doing that but each time I would need to redo the links. I don't think there is any solution for the tokens (as I have to rebuild the encounters to get the token updates).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/insight!

Judokas
July 18th, 2015, 01:15
Actually, I could just add new encounters with the better tokens to my story entry. The only risk is that if the errata is in a monster within the module (custom monster) I will not get the update in my story entry. I think I may do this.

damned
July 18th, 2015, 01:18
i think you are on the right track. the updates will settle down soon but for all the early adopters - yeah - it can cause a few issues with your customizations.

Zacchaeus
July 18th, 2015, 11:09
Hang on a minute, damned.

I'm clearly not understanding how this all works, if I am understanding what you are saying. I'm running Hoard of the Dragon Queen and I have made extensive changes, such as masses of boxed text, relinked encounters changed tokens etc etc. Now there have been updates to this since I started running it but as far as I can see I haven't lost anything. Are you saying that if HotDQ gets updated because, say, there's a spelling error on page 3 that everything that I have done will be lost?

Griogre
July 18th, 2015, 11:33
Not any more. There was a recent change a few versions ago where changes to a reference module doesn't automatically clear local campaign modifications to it. You still might have a problem if you have modified a section that is totally removed from the official content, but minor changes like typo fixes shouldn't change your modifications.

Edit: Found the patch note:
Version 3.1.0 (2015-06)
- Module data edits will now be applied even if the underlying module changes. Use Revert menu option in Module Activation window to reset changes.

damned
July 18th, 2015, 11:48
Not any more. There was a recent change a few versions ago where changes to a reference module doesn't automatically clear local campaign modifications to it. You still might have a problem if you have modified a section that is totally removed from the official content, but minor changes like typo fixes shouldn't change your modifications.

Edit: Found the patch note:
Version 3.1.0 (2015-06)
- Module data edits will now be applied even if the underlying module changes. Use Revert menu option in Module Activation window to reset changes.

Yeah - you used to lose a bunch of changes but its possible that some updates could impact you still.

Trenloe
July 18th, 2015, 15:00
To try to add some clarification to this discussion...

When a GM makes modifications to a module within a campaign, those modifications are stored just in that campaign not in the original module. I hope we're all clear on this.

So, on to an example. I've opened HotDQ in a 5E campaign and I'm going to modify the (Contents) entry, which looks like this before modification:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/5E/Module%20Edit%201.jpg

(1) Is the unmodified story entry and (2) is the book icon (telling you the entry is from a module). Note the icon - an open book only.

I now modify this story entry as follows - deleting some content, leaving some content in place and adding my own content:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/5E/Module%20Edit%202.jpg

Note that the book icon pointed at by the red arrow has now changed to a book with a pen/quill. This means that the record is a module entry (book) but has been edited in this campaign (pen). If you want to revert your changes and go back to the base module entry, right-click on the entry in the campaign list and select "Revert Changes".

But, how are these changes stored and operate within the campaign?

Any changes made to a module within a campaign are stored in the <campaign name>\moduledb directory. There will be a <module name>.xml file for each edited module. In this example, there is a DD Hoard of the Dragon Queen.xml file in my campaign moduledb directory. Within this XML file is stored all of the changes to the module. In our example, the edited (Contents) story entry is stored as follows:

<encounter>
<category name="(Hoard of the Dragon Queen)" mergeid="" baseicon="2" decalicon="1">
<enc__contents_>
<locked type="number">0</locked>
<text type="formattedtext">
<h>Hoard of the Dragon Queen</h>
<linklist>
<link class="encounter" recordname="encounter.enc_e00_01_00conversionnotes@DD Hoard of the Dragon Queen">Conversion Notes</link>
<link class="encounter" recordname="encounter.enc_e00_02_00credits@DD Hoard of the Dragon Queen">Credits</link>
<link class="encounter" recordname="encounter.enc_e00_03_00foreward@DD Hoard of the Dragon Queen">Foreward</link>
<link class="encounter" recordname="encounter.enc_e00_04_00introduction@DD Hoard of the Dragon Queen">Introduction</link>
<link class="encounter" recordname="encounter.enc_e00_05_00background@DD Hoard of the Dragon Queen">Background</link>
<link class="encounter" recordname="encounter.enc_e00_06_00overview@DD Hoard of the Dragon Queen">Overview</link>
</linklist>
<h>My addiional notes</h>
<p>Testing...</p>
</text>
</enc__contents_>
</category>
</encounter>

This stores the whole edited record - not just the edits, but the whole record as it is now after editing.

How does FG use this record?

Note the highlighted <enc__contents_> in the XML text? This is the internal module reference for this story record. FG basically completely overwrites <enc__contents_> in the module data used within the campaign with this record. No merging, no taking into account module updates, etc., etc.. This is a complete overwrite of the module record data used in the campaign. The base module file doesn't change, but the internal FG representation in this campaign does change to use this edited data when the campaign loads.

Implications

If the module record edited in a campaign is updated in a future release of the module, assuming the XML reference stays the same (which it usually will), then this campaign won't see the module update for any edited records. This is because the module edit in the campaign moduledb XML overwrites the base module data used in this campaign. Unedited records will show the latest module data.

You can always see the most recent module data by reverting your edits: right-click on the entry in campaign list and select "Revert Changes" to revert one entry change, or do the same in the module activation window (right-click on the module tile) to remove all edits from the module and see the latest module data. You can then manually re-apply edits if you so wish - but this is a very manual process, and you'll need to remember what your edits were!

If future module updates were quite significant and/or the internal XML references were changed, then you could end up with duplicate entries in your campaign - the edited entry from the moduledb XML and the new module entry with a different XML reference, or you could just end up with quite a mess within the campaign where you edited the module. However, the way SmiteWorks are producing the 5E modules, this shouldn't be the case as the source files they use will keep the original reference names.

crb31
July 18th, 2015, 15:23
Answers some questions I had! Thanks
So, as an after thought, if I open a module look at the contents but don't share them or modify them, they should be updated when I run a update?

Zacchaeus
July 18th, 2015, 15:58
Trenloe, great post. This is what I understood the situation to be and this was the gist of my answer to the question above. But you did it more eloquently than I did.

crb31: The module will be updated whether you open it or not, or whether you modify it or not. It will always update the module if you have the module and and there is an update to it. The question above was whether any changes you made to a module would get overwritten if there was an update.

Judokas
July 19th, 2015, 04:34
Trenloe,

Very helpful post. It does clarify for me and tells me how to handle changes if I want to keep my entries. Its great to see I can decide this item by item.

The only thing that would be helpful is a difference type function (tkdiff style) before you decide to revert, this way you can see the deltas you would be getting before you lose your changes.