PDA

View Full Version : Importing a character into 5th ed ruleset.

stephen71
July 6th, 2015, 01:11
Apologies if this topic has been discussed.

I was wondering if there was an easy way to make 5th edition characters (and NPCs) and then import them into the 5th ruleset?

doing it manually in the game seems a bit cumbersome.

damned
July 6th, 2015, 04:25
There is but where are you planning to make them to import them from?

stephen71
July 6th, 2015, 05:06
There is but where are you planning to make them to import them from?

I think that's the big question. is there some sort of external form or app where i can do that without having to open FG?

damned
July 6th, 2015, 07:27
There are no other official Electronic Tools for D&D 5e....

kylania
July 6th, 2015, 14:41
I've found character creation in FG5E to be rather quick since most of it is just drag and drop. You also don't need to fully fill out an NPC or PC sheet to make it usable in most ways. You can even use tricks like /identity or /gmid to pretend to be someone on the fly.

As damned said though, there's no import from PDF or OCR for characters at this point and no other electronic methods of creating characters, so drag, drop and enjoy! :)

epithet
July 6th, 2015, 18:24
You're talking about something like PCGen, right? A stand-alone tool that will let you make a character and cross-check everything according to a ruleset. Sadly, that doesn't really exist for 5e yet.

Wizards has only just taken their first step into the digital world, and is moving at a glacial pace forward. That means that you'll need to wait for an enthusiastic hobbyist to code up an extension for PCGen or another program like it that implements the 5e ruleset, as Wizards does everything they can to prevent people from sharing it publicly.

As an aside, please do not take this as an affront, but the giant blinking light in your signature is too much.

Nylanfs
July 7th, 2015, 03:46
Well I can state that my 5E Theo Reifman made in PCGen"almost" imports. He has the stats, equipment, skills, and weapons. But all the class features are missing.

stephen71
July 7th, 2015, 04:17
As an aside, please do not take this as an affront, but the giant blinking light in your signature is too much.

LOL I was thinking the same. I'll think of something else.

Nylanfs
July 7th, 2015, 05:30
It wouldn't be too bad if it had been smaller. :)

epithet
July 7th, 2015, 06:28
Even characters built for Pathfinder don't import perfectly from PCGen into Pathfinder games in Fantasy Grounds, there are always a few things to clean up. As much as I like PCGen, I don't think there will be a really good solution until and unless it is built into Fantasy Grounds itself.