PDA

View Full Version : Defining a static default window position

MattArnold
July 5th, 2015, 17:34
I am trying my hand at modifying the 5e rule set. I'd like to "hard-code" some static window starting positions for the story window classes. So far, I've unpacked the 5e and Core rule set and added the campaign_story.xml into my new 5e rule set folder.. That file wasn't present in 5e. After adding an include in base.xml I was able to get things started changing the window class position/size parameters. That worked, but seemed pretty convoluted- can I override those values more easily? Also, I bought LMoP adventure, and use it in a 5e campaign just fine, but it doesn't show up in my library modules when I create a new campaign with my modified 5e rule set. Is there a step to make that available?

Thanks!

Trenloe
July 5th, 2015, 20:21
The info is configured in the <placement> section of the <windowclass> XML - info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/windowclass.xcp

MattArnold
July 5th, 2015, 20:27
Thanks for the reply - I did an edit on my original post. If you find the time, can you have a look? I've made progress but a few issues remain. Many thanks!

Trenloe
July 6th, 2015, 01:49
A recommendation - please don't edit your earlier posts, just post what you now need help with. Subscribers to the thread don't get notifications about edited posts and I generally won't go back and look for edited posts. Just create a new post with what you now want feedback on.

"can I override those values more easily?" - Make an extension that changes just those values.

Is there a step to make that available? - Since you've changed the name of your ruleset FG will only allow you to open modules that are made for that ruleset. LMoP is expecting a ruleset called 5E and will only allow you to open it within a campaign make with the 5E ruleset. If you wrote an extension rather than a custom ruleset this issue would be avoided.

Some info on writing an extension here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24817-My-Extension-Tutorial-Part-1-(Draft)

Basically, you'd be adding just the <placement> tags to the specific <windowclass> entries you're interested in within the extension. This will merge the data into the base windowclass entries in the ruleset the extension is written for.

MattArnold
July 6th, 2015, 02:17
Thanks for the the help - and sorry about the edit. I was working on that edit while you were posting your response, so I didn't know you were on it! An extension it shall be.

jreddin1
July 7th, 2015, 13:45
If you're just getting started coding in FG, you might want to start with an extension. It's a good starting step to reduce some of the complexity while you're learning the ins and outs of FG. There are some basic tutorials out there, and some extensions you can download and work through.

Understanding the basics of how windowing is done is CRUCIAL to digging into rulesets, in my opinion.