PDA

View Full Version : Guaging Interest 5E Arena

Draca
July 5th, 2015, 15:47
Would anyone be interested in a 5th Edition Arena?

Open Table style, with no long term commitment.

Never been able to face that high level monster in a real game?
Problem solved! Grab a few buddies , show up on game day and throw down the gauntlet!

Only one guy shows up , no problem! We'll just pull something out of the monster manual and head straight into fisticuffs!

10 people tonight , man thats too many! Not a problem , 5 on 5 death match here we come!

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.

Wonderbringer
July 5th, 2015, 16:59
Where do I sign up?

Draca
July 5th, 2015, 20:08
So i thought if i used a google community , it would give a good springboard for scheduling games.
My other thought is to recruit multiple "Arena Masters" that can run different days and even different systems.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107883195932785961240

TheShroud
July 6th, 2015, 02:13
id be interested!!! i had considered something like this using savage worlds systems but never got enough feedback. here was the site I had started for it https://m4po30.wix.com/xtreme-hero-slayershttps://m4po30.wix.com/xtreme-hero-slayers

damned
July 6th, 2015, 04:22
Draca would you be interested in running something like this at FGCon7?

Draca
July 6th, 2015, 04:31
Yeah , mayby some 5 on 5 skirmishes!
or 3 on 3

azj5001
July 6th, 2015, 16:46
I made a system for 4e for my friends and I for situations as you described. If anyone wants to check out my rules they are in the 4e forum. (ps I'd love to play this so send me a PM if anyone is interested)

After experimenting, the most important thing is to create map objectives. This encourages some thought on creating characters that fit for objectives rather then just killing. We also felt that the map objectives helped "balance" the game, we really enjoyed capture the flag and king of the mountain. I only had one other friend, in which we would have rosters and do a draft style. We'd roll for map and objective, then pick our line up from our roster.

We learned a death match style is not as fun when you get really competitive people playing, at least with my friends, there was no incentive to engage. They would just turtle up take defense action (5e would be dodge) and just wait.

TheShroud
July 6th, 2015, 17:17
well you could always devise a crowd rule in which if all a player does is avoid combat the crowd begins to boo and the player receives negatives do to lose of support. And devising a cool recount of the battle where players are described heroically wether they won or lose can also help in encouraging good friendly competition (I for one love a great death for my characters if I am going to die I want to go out like a boss) So if a story teller can describe a player's death in a way that it doesn't make them feel it was pointless but in fact a great way to go. Just my thoughts :)

Draca
July 7th, 2015, 01:47
Looking now at building modules of pregen characters for each class, level 1 though 20 and a build from every race in every level.
I know level 1-4 wont be very popular for this type of back drop , but i can use them for other games as pregens =)

I'd like to do a campaign in this as well , create your character , fight youer way up the levels in the arena , earn gold , rewards , titles , get challenged by other players for said title! , get challenged by Npcs for said title ect.

As for other things , id like to set up several scenarios...
Capture the flag, return set number of flags to the home base to win.
Tower control , win by controlling the tower for a set time period.
Im sure there are several others to do as well , ill have to think harder.

As for flavor within each match...
Random monsters unleashed during matches ( especially if things get stale )
Crowd related bonuses and negatives depending on player actions ( I do like that one )
Random traps placed on the maps ( covered pits , hunting traps , desintigration rays , you know the usual stuff =) )
Round activated events , such as at round 10 unless 1 player is alive , something really freakin bad happens! ( That should get a fire under some feet! )

As for maps , i have a fairly nice basic arena , im still looking for other types of maps , dungeons , forests ect ect , that have a few nooks and crannies , some open space ect.
Im still debating on the actual best size for these , im guessing 120 ft by 120 ft would be the smallest , 360 ft by 360 ft the largest mayby, Needs to be big enough to allow tactics , and have enough obstacles to make things fun , but not too many as to shut down ranged characters.

Any thoughts on map size , or any links to maps that you think would be a must have , would bee greatly appreciated!
Any ideas for match types or random events would be appreciated as well!

It's going to be alot more work than i anticipated , but why not!

X-baby longshot
July 8th, 2015, 23:29
Do you have a time slot and day in mind? This sounds like something I use to run for 3.5 when players became a bit inconsistent. In my experience it was an easy way to not have to account for players that are inconsistent. It can be lots of fun but leaves little room for role play. Great way to test character concepts and see if they hold up.

Draca
July 9th, 2015, 05:06
My personal time slot will be thursdays at 7pm edt.
Other Arena Masters are being recruited , to open up more days and more games under different rulesets.