PDA

View Full Version : Licenses, hosting and DMing

sharpeye410
July 4th, 2015, 23:04
Hello all,

In a few weeks, my work schedule is going to change such that I will no longer be able to join any of my friends' D&D games. I would like the option to play online so as to not have to seek out an alternate gaming location. Before I jump in, I have a few questions. I don't want to force the other players to buy licenses just so that I can continue to play.

If I buy the ultimate license, can I host a game but NOT be the DM?
Do my other players need a license or can they just download the demo version?
What is my best option to be able to create a game for my friends where I absorb the costs but not have to run the game as a DM or GM?

Thank you

JohnD
July 4th, 2015, 23:28
Go to Steam and buy a 4 pack for the price of 3 and gift out the other licenses. Or, fund your DM to get the Ultimate. Or fund your DM to get an Ultimate subscription.

ddaley
July 5th, 2015, 00:15
Hello all,
If I buy the ultimate license, can I host a game but NOT be the DM?

That would be a really nice feature actually!

sharpeye410
July 5th, 2015, 01:27
That would be a really nice feature actually!

So I take it that's a no.

JohnD
July 5th, 2015, 01:39
DM is the host.

ddaley
July 5th, 2015, 01:39
As far as I know, host = DM... but I am still fairly new to FG. So, I would wait for an answer from someone who has more experience with the software.

dulux-oz
July 5th, 2015, 02:02
Hi Sharpeye,

The DM is the Host.
Players cannot Host, only the DM.
Which license the Players require depends upon which license the DM/Host has: if the DM/Host has a Full License then the Players each need a Full or an Ultimate License; if the DM/Host has an Ultimate License then the Players need a Free/Demo, Full or Ultimate License. If the DM has a Free/Demo License then only one Player can connect (and campaigns, etc, will not be saved).

Costing
An Ultimate License costs $149
A Full License costs $39.
You can pick up a 4-Pack of Full Licenses for $115
You can upgrade a Free/Demo License to a Full License ($39), and a Full License to an Ultimate ($115)
You can subscribe to an Ultimate License for $10/month
You can subscribe to a Full License fro $4/month
You can change your subscription level month-by-month

So, it might be worthwhile subscribing for a month or two to "trey it out" and then seeing what your group want to do.

On a related note: you may also want to check-out the excellent Tutorial Videos on the FG Wiki - damns' are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below). Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the basis for practically all other RPGs we play on FG.

Any other questions just ask - we're a pretty friendly bunch here.

Oh, and Welcome!

Cheers

sharpeye410
July 5th, 2015, 04:12
Hi Sharpeye,

The DM is the Host.
Players cannot Host, only the DM.
Which license the Players require depends upon which license the DM/Host has: if the DM/Host has a Full License then the Players each need a Full or an Ultimate License; if the DM/Host has an Ultimate License then the Players need a Free/Demo, Full or Ultimate License. If the DM has a Free/Demo License then only one Player can connect (and campaigns, etc, will not be saved).

Costing
An Ultimate License costs $149
A Full License costs $39.
You can upgrade a Free/Demo License to a Full License ($39), and a Full License to an Ultimate ($115)
You can subscribe to an Ultimate License for $10/month
You can subscribe to a Full License fro $4/month
You can change your subscription level month-by-month

So, it might be worthwhile subscribing for a month or two to "trey it out" and then seeing what your group want to do.

On a related note: you may also want to check-out the excellent Tutorial Videos on the FG Wiki - damns' are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below). Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the basis for practically all other RPGs we play on FG.

Any other questions just ask - we're a pretty friendly bunch here.

Oh, and Welcome!

Cheers

Hey dulux-oz,

Thanks for breaking that down for me. I'll check out those vids and see what the group wants to do.

dulux-oz
July 5th, 2015, 04:52

Sorry, that price is wrong - my apologies. I'm not sure what that price is, but basically its 4 Full Licenses for the price of 3.

Someone who knows might jump in here with the exact price.

Cheers

Griogre
July 5th, 2015, 06:57
The 4 for 3 deal on Steam is $120.

damned
July 5th, 2015, 11:57
If you really want to pay for your GM then send him $10/month (until you decide to just buy it) to his PayPal account and let him get the Ultimate Subscription.
As an Ultimate license holder the only benefit you get is that you can host games for unlicensed players. There is no extra DLC/Content/Rulesets/Features.