PDA

View Full Version : Creating modules from PDFs (i.e. rulebooks)

midas
July 3rd, 2015, 13:35
I was wondering how to get started converting my Numenera core rulebook PDF into a module in Fantasy Grounds. Is this done using the Story Editor? Also, what kind of hurdles can one expect when trying this? I saw a post from a user who had wanted to to provide the tables to other users (which wasn't allowed) so I'm guessing that must have been a headache to do (I saw another post about needing to write up tables in the XML directly). The only tutorials I've seen have involved using PAR5E for the 5e books, but wasn't sure what the process was for other rulesets. Thanks.

damned
July 3rd, 2015, 13:53
Numenera (and pretty much most games) is protected by Copyright. Copyright lets you make copies and even transform them into another medium for your own use. You cant distribute copies of your Numenera PDF and likewise if you converted it to FG format the same would apply.
You can share the content whilst in game by sharing the tables or story entries using the sharing features just like passing your physical copy around a table.
Tables are pretty easy to make in Fantasy Grounds - go to the Tables Campaign Tool and create the tables and the number or range on which that event occurs and it will create clickable/rollable tables really easily. These can be exported into modules to be re-used by you in your next campaign etc.

midas
July 3rd, 2015, 14:35
Yeah, I know I can't distribute it. I just wasn't sure how to go about starting to create the content in FG to begin with. Is it the Story Editor? Or is there any documentation for doing something like this? I've not found anything yet other than the aforementioned PAR5E, which I'm not sure is universal or only for 5e stuff.

damned
July 3rd, 2015, 14:47
Hi Midas - check this short video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wxTx_NDo8&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKUrEd85Dqr6UcaaLvD7YlJd&index=7
additionally instead of minimising as I have done in that video drag the dice icon to teh shortcut bar and run it from there for quick access to commonly rolled tables.

Actually there is one on Story content and Campaign Management in that playlist too and a bunch of other things that might help you too...

midas
July 3rd, 2015, 14:50
Awesome, damned. Thanks!
For my original question, though: Is the Story Editor what I'd use to create handbook content? I know I'd use it to create, say, and adventure module. But for content like a player handbook, is that the tool I'd use?

damned
July 3rd, 2015, 14:54
the production quality is pretty poor but they are simple 2-7min videos that mostly get it right.
there are lots of good videos about - these are much longer videos but go into much more detail - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXaP4OoFR0gHBt6pNB0TLg2mSNf5deVQN

Mgrancey
July 3rd, 2015, 14:56
Text from Numenera books is filled with issues when you paste it into something else if I remember correctly. I was moving the core stuff over. There are multiple methods, if you have learned the format for XML files in FG it can be easier then trying to copy and paste directly into FG, but you can create a campaign where the entire purpose is to enter stuff for making modules.

Personally Story entries anymore tend to be done straight in XML, while creatures, items, and other more complex objects are done in FG.

damned
July 3rd, 2015, 15:04
Sorry - missed your edit.

Building a Library resource Module needs to be done either using Par5e (but as the name implies Par5e is primarily for 5e though you can use it for other CoreRPG systems including Numenera if you use only the basic formatting types but Im sorry I dont know which ones they are) or by hand using an XML (or decent text) editor.

Doing it as story entries will absolutely work but will not be as NICE as doing a library. You can export your story entries as a module then open the module in your campaign and share it and this will work. This is your easiest method but doesnt produce as nice a reference material as doing it manually.

Hope that helps...

Mgrancey
July 3rd, 2015, 15:57
Damned is right but you can create the story entries in FG then fix it up in an XML editor, I tend to do this a lot as well, but that is also because I got in the habit of making sure stuff is in the library and in the tabs on the side as well. This is not necessarily needed as that is that habit I got into when producing content for Savage Worlds. There is someway to setup a library inside FG, but I never really got the hang of it. Seemed kinda clunky for me.

damned
July 4th, 2015, 00:46
Mgrancey I will need to learn how to do that one day. I do like the presentation of Library Modules.

Mgrancey
July 4th, 2015, 01:16
Its not actually that hard, I might have a document going over it for Savage Worlds which would only require a couple of changes to set it for numenera or other systems. If not, gimme a week or two to make one up and proof it and I'll post it.

Art Wendorf
July 6th, 2015, 00:48
Its not actually that hard, I might have a document going over it for Savage Worlds which would only require a couple of changes to set it for numenera or other systems. If not, gimme a week or two to make one up and proof it and I'll post it.Thanks! I'd be interested in that, too!

Mgrancey
July 6th, 2015, 01:59
Was going through what I had and found this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1502&d=1281910885), which is what gave me a big start for setting up the library links.

That was basis of what I started with, Savage Worlds at least has some different window classes so I had to figure them out. Additionally some have been removed, the other half of my research was in finding out what that rulesset used for basic window classes, I found this by copying, then unzipping it (pretty much everything is a zip file with a different file extension on it, just needs changed), and then looking in the "REF" -> ref_basicclasses.xml. Mind you this was a bit of work to disassemble figure out. That document by SouloftheReaver can get you a fair bit of the way.

Alot of what I learned came from making one or two of everything in a campaign, exporting it and then tearing it open to look at how it was structured as well.

I will make a more indepth explanation of it as well as some tips and notes.

Mgrancey
July 6th, 2015, 04:01
Preliminary write up is done, but works with 2 prereqs. One you are somewhat aware of XML and two you have read SoulOfTheReapers Module Making Manual. I am starting with CoreRPG and will add extras, I will expand a bit more on the windowclasses as well as offering some of the tips and tricks I have picked up for them. But if you want a preliminary document here (https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3C26080375A1AC1A!9949&authkey=!ALPof_0wX1oMQgM&ithint=file%2cdocx):

jhall6766
July 6th, 2015, 04:11
I Just did a cut and paste into the story tab then read through it and made corrections.. However I am not certain how functional it is but figuring the automations are already in place it should be ok... Hmm just checked for it, must have deleted it by accident at some point so I guess ill be doing it a second time...this time it should look a bit cleaner.

Mgrancey
July 6th, 2015, 05:20
That works well for getting the content into FG for most stuff, but unless its improved it rapidly becomes a mess if you set it to make library connections as everything goes in there individually as I remember. So if you make a bunch story entries it can become a long, long list. Mind you all I am really explaining right now is the creation and organization of Library entries. Module creation, especially for when I am making one for FG to sell is a couple of steps up on what I usually do as they have requested certain redundancies in them. I will probably go over how I build modules at a later date as it is a much longer explanation.