PDA

View Full Version : Can't load my maps into Images & Maps

Graylock
July 2nd, 2015, 02:36
Oaky, here's another problem I'm having. According to the video tutorials I've watched I should be able to just drag and drop jpgs from a system folder to the Images & Maps of FG. I cant do this and I can't find any other way to do it. Searched the forums to no avail. I'm using the 5E rule set, osx, ultimate license. Thanks much.

Nylanfs
July 2nd, 2015, 02:40
I think this was a MAC specific issue, I remember seeing a post on this.

ddavison
July 2nd, 2015, 03:56
There is a folder button on the top left title bar of the Images & Maps window you can click on that will open the file location where you want to place your images. Once you load them there, you should be able to access them within Fantasy Grounds.

damned
July 2nd, 2015, 04:04
see this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23687-Can-t-figure-out-how-to-add-an-image-file

Graylock
July 5th, 2015, 14:19
[I thought I posted this yesterday, but I don't see that I actually did. Here it is and apologies if its a repost]

Hey Immortals I'm back. This is what I do on my holiday, try to fix a software issue! Anyway, after days of following the above advice I am still unable to load a map into my Images folder of FG. Up front I'm running FG through steam using a Mac with Mavericks OSX.
When I click on Images & Maps I get this screen:

I cannot drag and drop anything into this window so I click on Folders and get this window:

This is a Wine Explorer window, which I really don't get, but I use it to navigate into "wineskin" (going into the "macmini" user folder, which is the name of the computer I'm using (this gives me the same directory as the "wineskin" folder) and down to the FG campaign I'm running (Godfall) and into the Images folder. But I still cannot drag and drop an image into this folder.

When I look at my Mac HD with Finder I cannot find the "wineskin" user that I see in the Wine Explorer window but there is a "macmini" user. However, there are not the same files within the "macmini" folder that are found when using Wine Explorer, as seen below.

I followed the instructions of Zeus on changing the app path settings from the launcher. I directed this path to a folder on my computer that contained an image, saved, restarted FG and clicked into Images & Maps but there was still nothing there. Likewise, anything dragged into this folder is not seen within Images&Maps.

Is FG even installed on my Mac?
Do i have to change something within Steam?
I'm confused and hope this is another example of me missing something simple.

Thanks FG Gods!

damned
July 5th, 2015, 14:26
You posted here....
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23687-Can-t-figure-out-how-to-add-an-image-file

ddavison
July 5th, 2015, 15:37
When you say that you installed it through Steam, did you install the Demo from Steam or was it the full application? The reason I ask is because the FantasyGrounds.app that we originally posted to Steam was like that for the first week or so (back in 2014) but was updated to use the Finder window automatically. I just tested again on my Mac and the Launch screen's folder icon button and the Images & Maps window both open the Finder window navigated to the proper location. I can't test the Demo app currently since I have the full app in my account.

I would recommend going into Steam and right-click to select the Properties of the Fantasy Grounds game. Choose to browse local files and you should see FantasyGrounds.app. You can move this to an alternate location and then run a Delete Local Content and re-install from Steam. You will need to re-enter your license key and your username. If you had any campaigns started, then you'll need to manually copy those over from the old .app file to the new .app file as well (more details for that later.)

To browse the .app contents to grab campaign elements or insert new elements:

Browse Local Content from Steam to find the location of the .app
Right click on the .app and choose Show Package Contents
Navigate through drive_c/users/Wineskin/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/ and choose the campaign you want to interact with
Copy these to a new location or to a new .app into the same folder structure
Add any images you want into the campaign's image folders
Set a shortcut to this location if you want

Graylock
July 8th, 2015, 00:29
I installed the demo through steam about a month ago. Then I bought the ultimate license and entered the code in the demo. I followed your instructions and was able to move the FG.app file to a new location. But before doing a Delete Local Content I looked for the "drive_c/users/Wineskin/Application Data/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/". I don't have that string anywhere on my computer. I can find it within the "Wineskin Browser" in the campaign folder (which i get when I click the "folders" button in Images and Maps window), but I con't see any movable files within the campaign. I created a story, 4 pcs, a couple of NPCs and a few tables and would rather not loose them. The FG.app file that I moved contains no files, it is just an executable so I'm not sure how I can manually move any campaign info from that file.

I did what you said and it seemed to work so now I'm gonna Delete Local Content and reinstall. What file should I reinstall through steam? Is it still the free demo? The others all seem to have a price tag.

Thanks for the patience!

ddavison
July 8th, 2015, 00:35
The executable is a .app file. If you right-click on that within Finder, you should see an option for Show Package Contents. That will allow you to browse further for a drive_c/users/wineskin/...

The campaign info will be find inside there.

Graylock
July 8th, 2015, 02:19
Right. And I reinstall the demo from steam?

ddavison
July 8th, 2015, 02:21
Instead of installing the Demo, activate the full version on Steam and install that.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530621472814/

Graylock
July 8th, 2015, 03:03
Oh yeah, this is working! I'm starting to feel a tingle......

Graylock
July 8th, 2015, 03:43
And the tingle stops. Followed the above instructions, entered the key, activated the license, then updated. But it keeps coming back to the launch page with the update available button in red. And It seems to be the free version that won't let me start a new campaign. I closed and restarted FG and Steam several times and repeated the process. Nada.

It gets stranger. I "load a Demo Campaign" and it shows the campaign I created. Mind you, I haven't yet copied over any of my saved FG.app files to the new install. I go into my campaign and my PC, NPCs, Story and everything is there. But not the PHB or MM modules. When I click into various menus I get error code windows like the below attachment. The good news is when I open up Images & Maps it brings me to a finder window into images and I can drop an image in! That problem is solved, but I now have some new ones.

Again, I hope this is just me being stupid, but it seems to be getting weird.

damned
July 8th, 2015, 05:22
Hi Graylock - send me a PM and I will try and work it out with you.

Graylock
July 9th, 2015, 16:38
Okay, here's the update. After @Damned graciously spent an hour working with me remotely the problems seemed to be resolved. We (or, I should say, he) installed FG locally through Wineskin as opposed to installing through Steam. For whatever reason my Mac didn't like the way Steam installed FG. I was able to move my campaign over to the new install and drop my maps into the images folder.

And here's what I have to say to my fellow Mac users. Don't give up. Until we get a native FG application some of us might have to jump through a lot of hoops to make FG work smoothly on our Macs. I seem to have been one of the worse cases but with the great support from these forums I'm up and running perfectly. If you use the forums and have patience you will get through any problems you might have.

My great thanks the all the FG Gods who got me through!