PDA

View Full Version : Chatnomicon Chat Extension

jreddin1
July 1st, 2015, 18:58
Moderator: Does not appear to be FG v3.3.x compatible. Use at own risk, pending developer update/feedback.

Chatnomicon

Overview

I think this is now ready to see the light of day. This isn't anything all that fancy, and it may be that no one will want to use this, but it's a fairly small, fairly clean extension for adding functionality to chat.

In effect, Chatnomicon:

Allows users to create a list of common chat phrases/expressions
Suppports normal chat, /action, /emote and /ooc
Supports setting moods
Each user can set their own favorites
Supports GM portrait and player portrait for chat messages
Supports GM /action and /story
Keeps list sorted by chat type for easier reference
NEW - Message of the Day feature for GMs allows players to receive the MotD when first joining
NEW - Categories for GMs
NEW - Export of ChatMon data for GMs

After a message is setup, a single click is all it takes to send!

Note for anyone interested in learning to code in FG:
I am working on a set of tutorials and this extension was the basis for those tutorials. It implements a couple of interesting features including:

Window lists for repeating elements
OOB Messages to allow client side node creation and requesting MotD
Chat Messages of different types and options
Text-cycling button that allows clicking to choose from enumerated list
Dynamic anchors based on Ruleset
Dynamic title bars based on Ruleset
Registering the extension on the stack (not really that interesting :cool: )
Identity selection, as well as current character selection
Enabling Categories
Enabling Export
Simple filtering
And of course, all the normal stuff needed to open windows and deal with the DB.

Version

v1.3.0 -- Added export capability for GMs
v1.2.0 -- Added category selection for GMs
v1.1.1 -- Fixed colon on certain messages, removed console logging.
v1.1.0 -- Added Message of the Day for GMs
v1.0.0 -- Initial Version :D

Ruleset

This Extension works with:

CoreRPG Rulset v3.0.8+ and all Child Rulesets.

In addition, this extension has specific adaptations for 5E to deal with window title changes and window layout.

Screenshots

10395 10396

The Goods

Without further ado, here is the extension file:

Trenloe
July 1st, 2015, 19:08
Nice work! Added to the CoreRPG extension list.

jreddin1
July 1st, 2015, 19:13
Thanks. And thanks for helping me out! Thanks to you, OZ and some others, I didn't loose too much hair trying to learn FG well enough to do this.

GunnarGreybeard
July 1st, 2015, 21:49
That looks pretty cool.

Ardem
July 1st, 2015, 23:50
Great Work, will be testing this out next session

damned
July 2nd, 2015, 04:18
Looking forward to part 2 of your extension guide too!

Callum
July 2nd, 2015, 12:25
Always good to see a new extension - thanks! Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but what does this extension offer over just dragging commonly-used phrases to your hot keys? I'd also like to offer a tiny suggestion: I think that removing the colons and extra spaces from the Action, Emote and Mood text displays would make them read better (eg "Bonterrent winces in pain" rather than "Bonterrent: winces in pain").

jreddin1
July 2nd, 2015, 17:44
@Callum:

It doesn't add much compared to the hotkeys, honestly (except for the new MotD stuff I just added). It's just a cleaner, more visual way to do the same thing.

As for the colons, I'd love to get rid of them, but I haven't figured out how. It's something that Comm.deliverChatMessage adds in, not me. I need to spend more time digging through all the CoreRPG code to see if I can trick deliverChatMessage into not adding that in.

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2015, 17:57
I love this cool extension - nice work!

Wishlist: A couple of additions which would make this really handy for the GM:

Enable list categories (the little tabs along the bottom of the list window). This would allow GMs to have tabs for different NPCs.
A module export option to enable a GM to export frequently used entries. It'll be best to enable categories (item #1) first as modules would ideally need the categories tabs.

jreddin1
July 2nd, 2015, 18:40
@ Callum: Just for you, I tracked down and fixed the colon issue :-)

jreddin1
July 2nd, 2015, 18:45
@Trenloe:

Aaack! That sounds like REAL work! Lol!

I'll look into it after I get the tutorial done. I'm also thinking about doing an extension for the map that would add a radial option to replace the current token with a "dead" token. I don't like removing the tokens from the board once a critter is dead, neither to do the people I play with. Replacing the token (or adding a "dead" token on top) is a pain, though, so I may give that a go.

I'll definitely look into your suggestions though.

Did you see the new Message-of-the-Day feature? As a GM you can add a MotD (or multiple), and then whenever players join, they automatically get the messages sent to them. Saw a request for that feature on the wishlist, and thought it would be easy to do -- And it was!

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2015, 19:08
Did you see the new Message-of-the-Day feature? As a GM you can add a MotD (or multiple), and then whenever players join, they automatically get the messages sent to them. Saw a request for that feature on the wishlist, and thought it would be easy to do -- And it was!
Yeah, I noticed - nice work. I threw this together a while back: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22369-Message-of-the-Day-%28MOTD%29-Extension

jreddin1
July 2nd, 2015, 21:01
Very nice. Mine definitely isn't as fancy as yours!

jreddin1
July 2nd, 2015, 21:18

Enable list categories (the little tabs along the bottom of the list window). This would allow GMs to have tabs for different NPCs.
A module export option to enable a GM to export frequently used entries. It'll be best to enable categories (item #1) first as modules would ideally need the categories tabs.

Your first wish has been granted.

jreddin1
July 2nd, 2015, 21:45

Your second wish has also been granted ;-)

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2015, 22:45
And for my third wish...

Well, perhaps I'll hang on to that. :)

Great, fast work. Now people can share their modules with "101 things a drunken dwarf says" and other such astounding one-liners and witty puns. :)

ffujita
July 3rd, 2017, 22:44
How does one change the GM portrait from the big blue circle?

bnickelsen
July 4th, 2017, 15:11
Is this 3.3.x compatible?

Paul Pratt
July 6th, 2017, 02:00
It will run, but not quite right. It is not wholly compatible with 3.3.

Trenloe
July 6th, 2017, 17:11
It will run, but not quite right. It is not wholly compatible with 3.3.
Thanks for the feedback Paul.

Unfortunately, the extension doesn't use the usual FG names, so it's difficult to do a quick compare with recent FG code to see what might be incompatible. I'm marking this extension as incompatible, pending developer feedback.

Talen
July 6th, 2017, 19:10
And for my third wish...

Well, perhaps I'll hang on to that. :)

Is that a Steve Martin SNL call back? If so, nicely done.