PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing damage to target?

brautigan1
July 1st, 2015, 03:55
Does such an effect exist? I know there's "DMGO," but that only applies to active unit on the CT. Would it be hard to add "DMGO [target]?" Or is there a already a way to do this? Thanks!

Trenloe
July 1st, 2015, 04:03
Which ruleset in particular are you referring to? I'd recommend posting these types of questions in the ruleset specific thread as how these type of effects work can be very ruleset specific.

In this case, the only way to do ongoing damage is to apply the DMGO effect to the actual target which, as you say, triggers on the target's initiative count. What game mechanic are you trying to recreate?

brautigan1
July 1st, 2015, 04:11
Stirge from 5e. It does ongoing damage on its own turn to its target (that it is attached to). The 5e Stirge may be ruleset specific, but I doubt that the mechanic is. There are many rulesets in which such an effect may exist.

Thanks for any help!

brautigan1
July 1st, 2015, 04:19
While we're at it... Ongoing Healing?

edit: Never mind, I was playing with regen on a 2 HP creature who was already dead xD.

Trenloe
July 1st, 2015, 06:02
Stirge from 5e. It does ongoing damage on its own turn to its target (that it is attached to). The 5e Stirge may be ruleset specific, but I doubt that the mechanic is. There are many rulesets in which such an effect may exist.
Thanks for expanding. When we Fantasy Grounds users refer to a "ruleset" we are talking about the code that Fantasy Grounds uses. This code can be different, and usually is, for each RPG ruleset: D&D 3.5E, 4E, 5E, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Castles & Crusades, Rolemaster, Numenera, etc., etc. Therefore, it is always useful to include which Fantasy Grounds ruleset you are specifically referring to, as there may be code in one ruleset to do what you want but not in another.

In 5E there is not an automatic way to do damage to a target when the initiative tracker advances to the source of the effect - in this example the attached stirge's turn. You will have to do this manually - perhaps use an effect label "Attached" to remind you, but you'll still have to roll the attached damage. The targeting system is based off a triggering action from the source (attack, damage, save, etc.) and applies the result to the targeted creatures. The DMGO effect process is only initiated at the beginning of the creature's turn which has the DMGO effect and it applies the damage directly to itself.

You're right - this is a mechanic that can appear in different RPGs. If you'd like to see it added in a future release please log it as a request in the FG dev wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/ Thanks.

brautigan1
July 1st, 2015, 06:21
Poo. Okay, thanks, Trenloe.

Zacchaeus
July 1st, 2015, 12:05
I don't think this is actually ongoing damage. The description of Blood Drain says that on its turn and if it is attached, the Stirge drains blood. In other words you, as the DM, would simply roll damage to whoever the Stirge was attached to. Now the way I read the Stirge is that it will detach after it has taken 10 points of blood, so if you automated this damage it could do excess damage. For example, by the time the Stirge gets to round 3 it could well have take all of its 10 points and would therefore detach instead of inflicting more damage.

To answer your second question in the post below, there isn't a specific way that I can think of to show the players that a particular creature is targeting them by automation. The DM has this information though and it shouldn't be too much of a problem for the player to ask. If this is something that you'd like to see added then make an entry in the features request here https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

You could add a custom effect to the effects list and drag that onto the player if you wanted to. You could call it 'Blood Drain' and once dragged onto the Combat Tracker you could then edit the entry to add 'Stirge 1'; but this seems too much work for me :)

Griogre
July 1st, 2015, 17:10
I have to agree with Zacchaeus. Using an effect for blood drain for a stirge for me would be more of a hassle than worth the effort. But I personally feel that way about a lot of effects. You'll have to try out the effects and find out which ones are worth the time for you and your group. For me if an effect isn't "Fire and Forget" I usually don't use them. I also don't use effects if its faster to use mod hotkeys.

But I can be a rebel, and usually don't use targeting either for normal attacks since it's slow. :)

brautigan1
July 2nd, 2015, 02:14
Thanks, everyone, for helping me to better understand how this stuff works. Thanks to your guidance on this one issue, I feel like I have a better handle on ALL of the effects wiki, and what can and can't be done with it. Honestly, the "stirge" issue was small for me. The bigger thing was tying to speed up the process of understanding how effects work (or can't work) at this point with FG, and the "Stirge" conundrum proved a good way of getting answers to many questions I had about effects, generally.

Thanks again for the help!