PDA

View Full Version : How does a total noob get into this?

Ukigo
July 1st, 2015, 02:43
I just downloaded the free trial, and I want to play some D&D or Call of Cthulhu if possible, but I haven't played either of them ever (Very new to tabletops_. Reading the rules on them as I speak, but just don't know how I'd go about joining a game on here, and figuring out what to do in an all-digital setting. Thanks for the help

Goltron
July 1st, 2015, 02:56
Welcome Ukigo, Looking for group thread and the game calendar are great spots to find games. As for being new to tabletopping, most DMs are very accomadating when it comes to new players. Just let whoever is running the game know that you are new and most of the time they will be happy to guide you along at the start. Well that was what i experienced when I first joined with very little knowledge of tabletop rpg

brautigan1
July 1st, 2015, 02:59
If I were you, right now, I'd be content to do exactly what you are doing: learning the RPG you want to play, and learning what you can about Fantasy Grounds as a player (if you're not interested in DMing).

Other than that, advertising that you are LFG here on FG forums (in the forum for your game) is probably the best way to go. I am also new here, and gearing up to possibly DM some 5e, Maybe sometime we could get on FG together and go over a few things with each other for mutual benefit (and talk about getting into actual games, heh).

dberkompas
July 1st, 2015, 04:41
Definitions
LFG - Looking for game
RPG - Role Playing Game
DM - Dungeon Master
FG - Fantasy Grounds

Good luck, and make sure you catch the next FGDaze or FG Con, there's lots of games/one-shots to get in on.
(One-shot, a game that is just one session, not part of a multi-session campaign)

BoomerET

dulux-oz
July 1st, 2015, 10:28
Hi Ukigo, and Welcome!

One of the best things you can do (apart from following the other suggestions here) is take some time to learn how to use FG properly. There are a number of very good Video Tutorials available on the FG Wiki - damns' are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Where to start?

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG Ruleset, because the CoreRPG Ruleset forms the basis for practically all the other RPG Rulesets we use with FG - by learning how to run FG with the CoreRPG Ruleset you'll learn nearly everything you'll need to know to "hit the ground running" when you start to play which ever RPG you settle on.

And don't be afraid of asking questions - we're a pretty nice bunch here :)

Cheers

Ukigo
July 2nd, 2015, 07:27
So I've watched some of the videos that you guys showed and me and still watching them, but how do I go about creating a character, I tried a 5th edition character sheet (D&D) but some of the stuff didn't make very much sense, I rolled and started with 1300gp, seems like a bit much. And are there any item limits or anything? I know this probably isn't where I should be asking but whatever. And is 5E even playable on FG?

Mask_of_winter
July 2nd, 2015, 07:45
I think we all learned how to play RPGs with a friend showing us how. Once you've found a group I'm sure your GM or a fellow player will be kind enough to guide you through the character creation process.

I'm currently out of town otherwise I'd get with you on Teamspeak and help you. Hell, I wouldnt be surprised if someone else volunteered to do that for you.

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2015, 15:16
And is 5E even playable on FG?
Absolutely. FG is the only official VTT (virtual table top) supported by Wizards for 5e D&D. In fact, it's currently the only official form of 5e electronic products.

For guidelines in creating a 5e PC you can follow the rules in the PHB, do a search on the Internet for step by step guidelines, and watch the 5e "Characters using the Character packs" video in the FG wiki.

Griogre
July 2nd, 2015, 18:03
Hi Ukigo for step by step instructions on creating a 5E character read the Player's Handbook (PH) pg 11-15 Step-by-Step Characters. In the free PDF you can download from Wizard's - D&D Basic Rules for Players it's on pg 6-9. Once you understand the basic idea from the rules you can move on to making a character inside of FG. The major difference is instead of writing everything down on a paper character, in FG you can type in the information manually very much like you would on a paper character sheet; however, in FG if you have the right library resource modules you to just drag and drop from them onto the character sheet and it will do the typing for you.

And yes, you should not start *any* 1st level 5E (or any other D&D edition) character with 1,300 gold. There are some nuances for online play when it comes to character generation. The biggest is most DMs use point buy for character stats for convenience to avoid having to monitor stat rolls and to give each character the same power level. See the Variant: Customizing Ability Scores section in the PH pg 13 or Basic D&D pg 8.

kylania
July 5th, 2015, 23:02
how do I go about creating a character, I tried a 5th edition character sheet (D&D) but some of the stuff didn't make very much sense, I rolled and started with 1300gp, seems like a bit much. And are there any item limits or anything? I know this probably isn't where I should be asking but whatever. And is 5E even playable on FG?

This video is from Fantasy Grounds themselves and explains how to create a DnD 5E character from scratch with just the Character Customization Pack (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EPHBCPBASE) and Wizard Class Pack (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EPHBCPWIZ) ($9 + $3 or both are included in the $50 Core Class pack (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EPHBDELUXE) if you picked that up). The process is mostly just dragging items or links around. It's very quick to build a character!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeU

brautigan1
July 6th, 2015, 02:03
PM me, and I'll give you my IP, you can get on with me, and I'll go over stuff with you, if you like. Walk you through character creation, and what everything on the character sheet means, etc. I'm a pretty good teacher when it comes to anything I have a decent handle on, and I'm pretty sure I have a handle on FG, aside from the XML stuff that you have no businesses thinking about now, anyway. 5e I know pretty well, too. Teaching is a great way to reinforce learning, so I'm happy to oblige if you're up for it.

brautigan1
July 6th, 2015, 02:44
Hi Ukigo, and Welcome!

One of the best things you can do (apart from following the other suggestions here) is take some time to learn how to use FG properly. There are a number of very good Video Tutorials available on the FG Wiki - damns' are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Where to start?

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG Ruleset, because the CoreRPG Ruleset forms the basis for practically all the other RPG Rulesets we use with FG - by learning how to run FG with the CoreRPG Ruleset you'll learn nearly everything you'll need to know to "hit the ground running" when you start to play which ever RPG you settle on.

And don't be afraid of asking questions - we're a pretty nice bunch here :)

Cheers

They're all good, but I must say I have a special place in my heart for Dulux's tutorials. Perfect pace for the absolute beginner. Thanks, Dulux.

Edited -- Sorry Dulux!

dulux-oz
July 6th, 2015, 04:17
They're all good, but I must say I have a special place in my heart for Delux's tutorials. Perfect pace for the absolute beginner. Thanks, Delux.

Thanks for the kind words - glad you like them

Oh, and BTW, its Dulux, with a "U", not Delux, with an "E" - Dulux is a brand of paint here in the land Down Under, and as my real name is Matthew Black, or Matt Black for short - and mat-black is a (paint) colour - one of my friends dropped that label on me years/decades ago and it just stuck :) - not a big thing, but we may as well get it right :p

kylania
July 6th, 2015, 04:22
That's a much better nickname than "HGTV HOME™ by Sherwin-Williams" would have been. ;)

damned
July 6th, 2015, 04:46
Thanks for the kind words - glad you like them

Oh, and BTW, its Dulux, with a "U", not Delux, with an "E" - Dulux is a brand of paint here in the land Down Under, and as my real name is Matthew Black, or Matt Black for short - and mat-black is a (paint) colour - one of my friends dropped that label on me years/decades ago and it just stuck :) - not a big thing, but we may as well get it right :p

Hah - now I geddit!