PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds receives an ENnie Nomination for Best Software

ddavison
June 29th, 2015, 17:24
Specifically, the entry was for several products and the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack was selected as a nominee. You can see the full listing here and please check it out during voting that begins on July 4th.

https://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/2015-ennie-award-nominees-and-spotlight-winners/

damned
June 30th, 2015, 04:52
Woot!

Zacchaeus
June 30th, 2015, 12:43
Jolly well done.

GunnarGreybeard
June 30th, 2015, 13:23
Good stuff!

Nylanfs
June 30th, 2015, 14:08
This also means that we are going to need to rally votes for FG since it's going up against some stiff competition.

ddavison
June 30th, 2015, 15:46
It is indeed.

Griogre
June 30th, 2015, 18:45
Interesting that they classified the Monster Pack as software. Still, very good publicly, even if a its a source of very confused people arriving on the messageboard. :)

ddavison
June 30th, 2015, 18:48
There are some unusual rules about what can and can't be submitted. Fantasy Grounds itself and even the 5E rulesets were not eligible because they weren't "new" during the time and our past submissions have always been denied or ignored. I submitted The Lost Mine of Phandelver modules, the D&D Complete Core Class Pack and the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack modules this time since they seemed to follow the exact letter of the rules.

Nylanfs
June 30th, 2015, 19:09
You can submit individual Versions as new Doug, we do that at PCGen when we make significant version changes.

Nickademus
June 30th, 2015, 19:53
There are some unusual rules about what can and can't be submitted. Fantasy Grounds itself and even the 5E rulesets were not eligible because they weren't "new" during the time and our past submissions have always been denied or ignored. I submitted The Lost Mine of Phandelver modules, the D&D Complete Core Class Pack and the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack modules this time since they seemed to follow the exact letter of the rules.

Isn't the Monster Pack going up against Roll20, like ALL of Roll20. I didn't know that Roll20 was created in the past year.

ddavison
June 30th, 2015, 20:54
That appears to be the case. All I know is that in the past we submitted Fantasy Grounds and it was denied entry.

Nickademus
July 1st, 2015, 04:37
I would question that. Seems fishy.

dberkompas
July 1st, 2015, 04:42
and yet every year AaW seems to be on the list. That in itself tells me there's something rotten in Denmark.

(of course, I don't mean to insult Denmark, I'm sure it's a nice place <grin>)

Trenloe
July 1st, 2015, 06:36
and yet every year AaW seems to be on the list.
AaW is a third party publisher and get nominated for different things. Last year it was their daily blog; this year it's the new, revamped website.

I'm guessing Roll20 have got in because they've said they have a new version or something similar.

dberkompas
July 1st, 2015, 06:41
Can't get the image of lipstick on a pig out of my mind when I think of AaW.

They left a VERY sour taste in my mouth with their ethics regarding early subscribers.

damned
July 1st, 2015, 13:07
Isn't the Monster Pack going up against Roll20, like ALL of Roll20. I didn't know that Roll20 was created in the past year.

Some folks have different rules....
Or know more people...

Nylanfs
July 1st, 2015, 14:10
If they have made significant code changes it would qualify, I'm not sure if they did or not. But that would be a reason, code projects are evolving and constantly getting better after all. Now FG not getting nominated after significant upgrades is fishy. :)

Also posted to Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyGrounds/comments/3bocbo/fantasy_grounds_receives_an_ennie_nomination_for/

Mask_of_winter
July 1st, 2015, 15:14
Maybe in a year or two with Unity move.

demonsbane
July 2nd, 2015, 05:57
Good clarifications here. Cheers!

Mellock
July 2nd, 2015, 11:28
I'm looking forward already to the Ennie nomination when the FG Unity comes out :p

Mellock
July 4th, 2015, 10:44
You may now vote at https://ennie-awards.com/vote/2015/index.php

malvok
July 4th, 2015, 21:46
Wow, I just visited the voting page and realized just how out of touch I am. I'm not qualified to vote on almost anything. In any case, I tossed a few votes for some of the few things I'm familiar with and enjoy.

damned
July 5th, 2015, 12:33
If you voted early your vote likely didnt count - there was a glitch with their systems :(

kylania
July 5th, 2015, 19:34
Voted! Does seem strange that one part of FG is up against all of Roll20, but whatever. :)

Deadly-Dosage
July 13th, 2015, 07:11
Congrats! Looking forward to the future and many more!

damned
July 14th, 2015, 14:15
Specifically, the entry was for several products and the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack was selected as a nominee. You can see the full listing here and please check it out during voting that begins on July 4th.

https://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/2015-ennie-award-nominees-and-spotlight-winners/

Dont forget to vote folks! Voting finishes in about 14 hours.

Nylanfs
July 14th, 2015, 16:34
And they have had a record number of voters also.

leozelig
July 15th, 2015, 01:18
As they say in Philadelphia (and probably elsewhere), vote early and vote often!

Nylanfs
July 15th, 2015, 02:02
I think that was originally used in New York

Nylanfs
August 1st, 2015, 02:45
Well, Roll20 won gold and Lone Wolf won silver. :(

Mask_of_winter
August 1st, 2015, 02:47
Well, Roll20 won gold and Lone Wolf won silver. :(
:( you know nothing ennies...

kylania
August 1st, 2015, 03:02
Good for them. Roll20 is a great product. Not as great as FG, but the rest of the world will learn that soon enough. :)

Nickademus
August 1st, 2015, 03:43
I would feel better about this if I knew why Roll20 was even in the vote when it seems they weren't qualified to be nominated. There must be something I don't know since I assume the ENnies wouldn't blatantly ignore their own submission rules.

ddavison
August 1st, 2015, 04:14
We meant to head to the awards ceremony but got distracted and ended up having lunch with the guys from Sasquatch Games. Congrats to Roll20 and Hero Lab. Maybe next year.

Mask_of_winter
August 1st, 2015, 04:27
Sasquatch? Primeval Thule 5e? :D

damned
August 1st, 2015, 05:32
All those sheeples missing out on the real deal...

LordEntrails
August 1st, 2015, 06:12
Though valuable for advertising purposes, reminds me of the popularity contests in high school. err, I mean student council.

Mellock
August 1st, 2015, 08:46
Congrats to the winners! The Golden Mellock Award still goes to Fantasy Grounds though. We'll see about that Ennie next year. :p

RosenMcStern
August 1st, 2015, 09:24
Let me add one important word to the subject. I know how this works as I have won a Silver Ennie (best setting) in 2010.

Ennies have a 2-step voting process. First is the judges, who assess quality (although they sometimes have bias, it happens). And here is the point where less known, high value products can enter the contest.

Then comes the popular vote. And this is the point where the "best marketer on the Internet" wins gold. And the reason why the second place winner is so valued in the Ennies: in some categories, you just cannot win gold if D&D is there. Given the virality of R20 marketing, it is hard to beat them. Even with a product that's 10 times better.

Honestly I had hoped that the D&D franchise could open a gap for FG to take over Roll20, but this just did not happen. The shame is that they let them compete each and every year with the same product. That is not really fair.

Nickademus
August 1st, 2015, 11:52
... And here is the point where less known, high value products can enter the contest. ... Honestly I had hoped that the D&D franchise could open a gap for FG to take over Roll20, but this just did not happen. The shame is that they let them compete each and every year with the same product. That is not really fair.

This is what I don't understand. From the sound of it, FG is submitted each year and denied for not being new. Shouldn't this be true for Roll20 as well? It's hard for FG to take over Roll20 when the ENnies doesn't allow FG to participate as a whole VTT.

damned
August 1st, 2015, 13:45
This is what I don't understand. From the sound of it, FG is submitted each year and denied for not being new. Shouldn't this be true for Roll20 as well? It's hard for FG to take over Roll20 when the ENnies doesn't allow FG to participate as a whole VTT.

FG itself wasnt accepted - it was the Monster Manual that was actually accepted.
This at least opens the way for future FG inclusion in the Ennies and SmiteWorks can continue to work on the marketing side!

CryAxe
August 8th, 2016, 16:20
Why has Roll20 won every Best Software Ennie since the category was created, yet Fantasy Grounds usually isn't even nominated?

JohnD
August 8th, 2016, 16:56
Why has Roll20 won every Best Software Ennie since the category was created, yet Fantasy Grounds usually isn't even nominated?

It's like Trump says; the system is rigged.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2016, 17:28
SmiteWorks did not submitted Fantasy Grounds for consideration.

In previous years SW was told they were not eligible since they were not released in the year of consideration. In the last few years that rule has been changed. I can't say exactly why SW has chosen to not begun submitting again. But I will only say that in many ways it seems to be the same result year after year, with the same judges (mostly) each year.

Myrdin Potter
August 8th, 2016, 17:37
The awards come from a public vote. The selection to be voted on come from judges. Since the MM via FG was accepted, I find it hard to say that they would not accept anything from FG.

The truth is that it is Internet voting and roll20 is a browser based program that many perceive to be free.

Few of these "industry" awards really mean anything to sales. Maybe small publishers that have never been heard of get a big boost if they are nominated because they go from little to at least some publicity.

I am happy with FG overall and I am very happy with the company behind it and the community they have built over time.

Mask_of_winter
August 9th, 2016, 02:53
The consensus in publisher circles is that Ennies don't influence sales much. Rob Schwalb who worked on 5e and now publishes Shadow of the Demon Lord didn't even submit it to the judges.

Nylanfs
August 9th, 2016, 12:19
Yep, a review from Endzeitgeist is a bigger effect than an Ennie win.

Nickademus
August 9th, 2016, 18:52
True. Thilo has definitely influenced my spending, though we seem to have the same taste in games, so.

hawkwind
August 10th, 2016, 13:04
Smite works should send a review copy of FG along with a module or two though I prefer and am influenced more by this guys reviews https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/

damned
August 10th, 2016, 13:40
Smite works should send a review copy of FG along with a module or two though I prefer and am influenced more by this guys reviews https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/

He doesnt mince his words....

Bryce0lynch
August 10th, 2016, 14:54
Speaking from personal disappointment, almost everyone softballs, either on purpose or subconsciously. The amount of critical analysis (for either definition of "Critical") is sorely lacking.

And back on the ENnie front: I just reviewed Streets of Zobeck, which won Gold for best adventure awhile ago. This, alone, should convince you they are nothing more than a popularity contest in which quality will seldom triumph.

He doesnt mince his words....

Nylanfs
August 10th, 2016, 17:14
Welcome to the FG community and forums Bryce!

I'd be interested in whether you had ever reviewed PCGen, I did some cursory searching but I didn't find it if you had.

Nickademus
August 10th, 2016, 18:59
Smite works should send a review copy of FG along with a module or two

Endzeitgeist's Paetrons can expedite what he reviews.

Nylanfs
August 11th, 2016, 02:07
And the fairly remarkable thing is that he gives fair reviews to the ones that his supporters request. That level of honesty is rare.

damned
August 11th, 2016, 03:55
Speaking from personal disappointment, almost everyone softballs, either on purpose or subconsciously. The amount of critical analysis (for either definition of "Critical") is sorely lacking.

And back on the ENnie front: I just reviewed Streets of Zobeck, which won Gold for best adventure awhile ago. This, alone, should convince you they are nothing more than a popularity contest in which quality will seldom triumph.

Welcome Bryce0lynch on re-reading your post I gather you are Bryce of 10' Pole... :)