PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration rules updated in LMoP?

demonsbane
June 29th, 2015, 11:14
While checking the current dev update 3.1.2, I found this at P0-07 Adventure Hook:

"When a player roleplays a negative personality trait or gives in to the drawbacks presented by a bond or flaw, you can give that player one inspiration as a reward. A player with inspiration can use it in a situation where his or her character's personality traits, ideal, or bond relate to what's happening. Spending inspiration gives the character advantage on one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. A character can have only one inspiration at a time." (emphasis mine)

The printed box in the Starter Set, p. 4 shows a different text:

"When a player roleplays a negative personality trait or gives in to the drawbacks presented by a bond or flaw, you can give that player one inspiration as a reward. The Player can then spend it when his or her character makes and ability check, an attack roll, or a saving throw. Spending inspiration gives the character advantage on one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. A character can have only one inspiration at a time. A clever player might spend the inspiration to counteract disadvantage on a roll. A character can have only one inspiration at a time." (emphasis mine)

So, in the LMoP Fantasy Grounds updated module, we find that Inspiration can be used for things related to the character traits, that is to say, it can't be used for whatever in no matter what context.

I wonder if this an update of the Inspiration rules along with the fixed errata for the last printing?

On the other hand, the Inspiration section at the PHB Fantasy Grounds module remains unchanged, not reflecting this change we can see at LMoP.

Thoughts?

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2015, 11:51
THe DM can give inspiration for whatever he or she likes. You are not limited to role-playing character traits if you don't want to limit yourself to that. To some extend the kind of campaign that you are playing in or running will perhaps dictate when and for what inspiration might be given. If it's combat heavy then giving inspiration for only role-playing is going to be a bit parsimonious since there won't be a lot of opportunities to be in a situation where role-playing will be to the fore. In a scenario full of political intrigue however opportunities for role-playing would be numerous.

I give out inspiration for all kinds of things, mainly for "good ideas", where the PCs come up with ingenious solutions to a problem, prepare and execute a plan to perfection, make very good use of spells, abilities and skills to overcome a difficult fight etc.

In short, if you are the DM it's up to you how you use inspiration. My advice, for what it's worth, is not to be too stingy with giving it out because it is an important mechanism in the game and there are many times when rolling with advantage is exactly what the PC needs.

demonsbane
June 29th, 2015, 11:59
Hi Zacchaeus: of course I assume each group will use (or not use) Inspiration in their own way, but what I'm pointing at is to the change in the text.

I mean, is it a Fantasy Grounds LMoP module thing, or maybe it's a text change and rules nuance related to the edited last printings?

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2015, 12:28
Hi Zacchaeus: of course I assume each group will use (or not use) Inspiration in their own way, but what I'm pointing at is to the change in the text.

I mean, is it a Fantasy Grounds LMoP module thing, or maybe it's a text change and rules nuance related to the edited last printings?

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I don't know why the text has changed; but what I was saying is irrespective of what that text says you can follow it or ignore it and use inspiration in whatever way you want. I haven't played that module so it may be that there are many opportunities to give inspiration for players using their traits, ideals etc. I would suggest the module text be taken as a guideline or suggestion rather than a 'rule' if you see what I mean.

demonsbane
June 29th, 2015, 12:31
Sure, Inspiration is a very open concept-rule.

What I mean is that the printed version of this adventure in paper (in the Starter Set) shows a different text in that box, and it intrigues me. We'll see, I hope!

chillybilly
June 29th, 2015, 13:32
I just wish that when a DM/PC clicked the little radio dial on their character sheet to mark that they have inspiration that something appeared on the player's portrait in the upper left (like a star) to be a more visual reminder. Kind of like how the savage worlds ruleset shows each player's bennies in their portraits.

damned
June 29th, 2015, 13:50
I just wish that when a DM/PC clicked the little radio dial on their character sheet to mark that they have inspiration that something appeared on the player's portrait in the upper left (like a star) to be a more visual reminder. Kind of like how the savage worlds ruleset shows each player's bennies in their portraits.

put it in the wish list.
in the game im playing in the GM just informs the player and lets the player do the housekeeping - if the player still forgets about it well thats the players responsibility :)

Trenloe
June 29th, 2015, 13:50
Good idea. Add it to the wishlist so the devs have more visibility: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2015, 14:13
put it in the wish list.
in the game im playing in the GM just informs the player and lets the player do the housekeeping - if the player still forgets about it well thats the players responsibility :)

Yep, let the buggers do some of the work at least. :)